IEC Changes | Page 9 | Vital Football

IEC Changes

Not sure where the missing Milwall and Gills fans are and never mind you missed my point completely and yes I was there at both.
Think we took a few more than 6k to the cup final though 😉.
As i said though it's nowt to do with crowds.
Its about TV revenue (dependent on which league you are in) and selling players on you develop for not much or buy relatively cheaply.
How many extra Wiganers would need to come to the DW to match the £10m we almost / will get for Robinson and then the fantastic kids we have ?
It's exactly what Brentford have done and not too badly !
Where you at Wembley when we beat them in 84 ? Don't remember 40k bees around 😉

If you can sell out your ground charging 40 quid a game like Leeds do then no doubt it helps boost your revenue significantly. But Jonathan Jackson said himself at the last forum that player trading is what clubs as this level will live and die by.

There is absolutely no reason why a small crowd should stop any club with excellent recruitment / coaching can't thrive and get small clubs with small crowds into promotion contention and self sufficient - as Brentford and Peterborough have shown.

I do think that the 'little Wigan' mentality is something we shouldn't waste our time with. We certainly aren't going to be paying huge wages out, but how many times have clubs spent big and not got a return and in turn clubs found cheap gems that get sold on for fortunes - budget is less important than quality of scouting. To think Moore cost twice as much as Maupay when he went to Brentford and Lowe cost about the same as Brentford paid for Benarama and Watkins combined - it shows that what good scouting can achieve.

We've got to get our recruitment and coaching right - which is obviously easier said than done and every club says the same - but it is possible and if we can the crowd size wont hold us back. Also if we did start to produce a winning side the 5-10k of missing Wigan fans who have gone missing in recent years will start to come back come back over time.

.......... "most likely"?

Like when we brought in Coyle ........ or Mackay ...... or Joyce ......... or even Barrow .......or maybe like Stoke bringing in O'Neill, or, well, actually, I forgot ...... you're not interested in other clubs.

Getting rid of Cook may bring about a good outcome. Then again, it might not. Regardless, it may still not be good enough for those who want us to be an established Premier League club.

To be fair the point about another manager coming in always has the assumed caviat that you bring in someone on paper who is a logical fit and don't do something really stupid. I don't think anyone thought Coyle / Malky / Joyce / Barrow was the right man at the time without any hindsight - people obviously grin and bare it, try and get behind them and hope for the best but no one actually thought 'this is who i'd have picked if i was chairman' and i think that has been the problem rather than changing manager. I think we've conflated terrible picking of replacements with it being a mistake to sack poor managers - we got part 1 right then willing shot ourselves in the foot on the second part. We are talking about the level of madness that we had Chris Hughton sitting in the stand virtually begging for the job and we went with a scandal riddeled Malky, even if they rated Malky (who to be fair had a decent record at that point) higher than Hughton in terms of ability it was a PR disaster not worth throwing ourselves into - it was non sensical. For all the good Whelan and Sharpe did when it came to picking manager they had some howlers over the years that everyone at the time would've advised against.

There's no guarentees the right man on paper will come good either - but if you pick the wrong man on paper like we have so often done you really are asking for trouble. So the biggest threat would probably be more the club doing another daft appointment rather than a decent manager doing worse than Cook.

As Mackay, Joyce, Coyle and Barrow - all did had better win ratio than Cook at one point at this level this season if i remember correctly. So we haven't got a high bar to improve on Cook. So i'm not sure it's better the devil you know at this point.

It's all fun to debate the what if's but ultimately it doesn't really matter as Cook is invincible from the sack.

The one question i keep coming back to is why didn't they let him go to Sunderland when we had an amazing get out of jail free card.

i am forgetting about the get rid of Cook card now ..
We need to back our players and club to hopefully escape and then see what happens ..
Everything else in the club is on the up massively and we look to have a bright future so the first team needs to get us out of this then i think we will see change ..

Ha...fortunate that. I was replying to Hamptons dating of the match but well googled young man.

:LOL::LOL:
Thanks for the flattery but I'm 44 & was 9 years old at the time of that match - still just under 2 years away from my first Latics game but I do remember it being covered by local press at the time & the year sticks in my mind as it was the same year as both the Bradford Fire & was a couple of weeks after my first visit to Wembley watching United beat Everton in the FA Cup Final

Everything else in the club is on the up massively and we look to have a bright future so the first team needs to get us out of this then i think we will see change ..

We shouldn't be in "this" at all bro, we are in shit street because the incompetent arseholes running/ruining the club decided to stick with a pillock of a manager!

We shouldn't be in "this" at all bro, we are in shit street because the incompetent arseholes running/ruining the club decided to stick with a pillock of a manager!
No argument from me but he is going now were is he and we really need to stay up then hopefully the club might look at getting rid and bringing a more compitant manager in , any way for now the team need our support that was my point ..
Don`t for get there are a lot of jobs at stake here as well

We can support "the team" until the cows come home, the point is the team is playing to Cooks instructions/tactics, the ridiculous substitutions are made by Cook, the team line ups are picked by Cook.

Supporting the "team" is like pushing shit uphill!

We can support "the team" until the cows come home, the point is the team is playing to Cooks instructions/tactics, the ridiculous substitutions are made by Cook, the team line ups are picked by Cook.

Supporting the "team" is like pushing shit uphill!

I don't know about you Norm, bro, but I doubt if Cook's instructions to the team are:
- go and concede soft goals by losing possession when the defence is outnumbered
- half-hit passes, so they can be easily intercepted
- if you've got a decent shot at goal, don't hit it too hard for fear you might hurt the goalie's hands
- don't bother supporting the front men
- leave their players free when they're just outside the box
- if you're taking a corner, make sure it goes out of play before swinging back into the box
- if their players want to make runs into gaps, let'em
- every so often, just lose concentration and let the opposition walk all over us

Then again, 'appen he does.

Yet he persists to pick the same calamitous, out of form, players week in week out, not to mention playing players out of position, he'd rather play a player out of position than put a player in his rightful position and leave him on the bench or leave him out of the squad altogether.

Other than Naismith (who hasn't exactly done badly at centre half), who does he play out of position? Wingers on the wrong wing? Give over ......... that's so they can come inside and play on the defender's wrong foot.

I'll fully accept that Lowe shouldn't have had half the game time he has, but who else has been persisted with when unwarranted?

I'm not trying to defend Cook .................... he's done shitloads to be critical of, but I certainly don't see why the players should be free from blame.

Simple bro, the one who picks the same failing players week in week out should take the blame, the players don't pick themselves.

Marshall, Lowe, Evans, Morsy, Byrne shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, even though i admit Morsy has pulled his finger out this last couple of games, and Naismith would never make a left back as long as he has a hole in his arse.

Edit...What is wrong with playing a winger on the correct wing?

Jones ....how much jip did Jones get the last time he was a regular? (Hull away anyone?)
Evans ........has hardly been a regular this season.
Byrne ........ and play who at right back? (whilst Sterling has been injured) ........ been motm quite a few times anyway
Morsy .....team skipper ......motm (for effort at least) most weeks
Naismith ....has only played left back when Robinson and Pearce weren't available

I've already said the logic re the wingers ........ but they tend to swop over anyway (well, except for when Massey plays ............. but let's be fair, they should be able to play with both feet anyway.

As I say ........ the players can't hide from blame.

No argument from me but he is going now were is he and we really need to stay up then hopefully the club might look at getting rid and bringing a more compitant manager in , any way for now the team need our support that was my point ..
Don`t for get there are a lot of jobs at stake here as well
Whose jobs are at stake?

What’s team selection got to do with iec changes.

Everything pal, they should be changing the manager to someone that actually knows what he's bloody doing!

If you want to talk about the invisible men crack on matey, most of the fans i speak to have given up with that shower.