IEC Changes | Page 8 | Vital Football

IEC Changes

Don't understand why people are okay with mediocrity, we should (as every other club should) push beyond the limits of what they can achieve. I don't buy accepting being a league 1 club because we are better off than others, though it's true, a football club not having any ambition in aiming for sky is a football club who accept they can never be winners.
I think you maybe misunderstand the view Franco. It's not necessarily being OK with mediocrity .......................... it's more not losing our head when everything isn't going rosey .................... and also being realistic about the financial viability of the club.

Everyone wants success. I'm sure the owners of the club want success. I've no doubt that those who run the club day to day - both administratively and on the playing side - want success. The players presumably want success because it will directly affect their wages.

The fans too want success ....................... but the way some fans seem to demand or expect it is sometimes missing that little smidgeon of reality.

And like i told you yesterday, i'm not concerned about other clubs, and with a new manager in charge we would most likely "get what we want"

Personally I would string you up by the testicles for such a comment....I take it you were otherwise engaged in 1994.

MIW has the cheek to keep having a do at me for calling him a moron, I really do not thinks he registers as high as that in reality.

Last edited:
And like i told you yesterday, i'm not concerned about other clubs, and with a new manager in charge we would most likely "get what we want"

.......... "most likely"?

Like when we brought in Coyle ........ or Mackay ...... or Joyce ......... or even Barrow .......or maybe like Stoke bringing in O'Neill, or, well, actually, I forgot ...... you're not interested in other clubs.

Getting rid of Cook may bring about a good outcome. Then again, it might not. Regardless, it may still not be good enough for those who want us to be an established Premier League club.

.......... "most likely"?

Like when we brought in Coyle ........ or Mackay ...... or Joyce ......... or even Barrow .......or maybe like Stoke bringing in O'Neill, or, well, actually, I forgot ...... you're not interested in other clubs.

Getting rid of Cook may bring about a good outcome. Then again, it might not. Regardless, it may still not be good enough for those who want us to be an established Premier League club.
I think the majority believe the prem is out of reach (unless we get v.lucky) however by the same token being in the same cohort as Blackburn, Preston, Milwall etc is no huge ask - on the basis of spend alone this season.
Can't understand how some folk think what's going on is ok and shrug the shoulders 🤔

........however by the same token being in the same cohort as Blackburn, Preston, Milwall etc is no huge ask ............

I'd agree with that ........ though all have flirted with league 1 in recent seasons .............. and of course, the 2 northern teams are slightly "bigger clubs" in terms of history (not necessarily recent) and crowd (and therefore sustainability).

I don't want to go down to League 1 (again), but if we do, I'll still go and watch us, and, more than likely, probably enjoy it.

It comes accross from what is written IEC were unbelievably naive and are now changing plans as the cost of relegation is staring them in the face.

If they changed manager last summer and gave the new boss 8m+ maybe they'd be happy with the progress we made knocking around mid table and establishing a foundation to build on the following season for a play off push.

But the cost of not changing manager when the change was so obviously necessary will cost them far more than Cooks pay off after relegation devalues all our player sales, we lose 5-6m, plus sponsorship, corporate revenue and attendances decrease.

I get an uneasy feeling IEC were just not willing to pay off Cook as they see it as throwing good money after bad and now just trying to minimise their loses. I expect a fire sale once we go down to try and balance the books and slash the wage bill with very little reinvested and us relying on players we can't get rid of plus the kids with maybe a couple of cheap frees and loans.

Hope I'm wrong but I fear it's going to go very wrong once we go down. I always feared that and that was a huge part of my thinking of why we so desperetly needed a new manager.

Keeping Cook this season I fear will be looked back on in years to come as one of the mostly costly mistakes in the clubs history.

Given everything you have so eloquently stated above, do you see us changing manager if, as you seem to be saying, we are relegated?

Personally I cant see it happening. IEC will probably see it as an expense they can live without and leave him in place until the end of his contract when it will cost them nothing to get rid.

Given everything you have so eloquently stated above, do you see us changing manager if, as you seem to be saying, we are relegated?

Personally I cant see it happening. IEC will probably see it as an expense they can live without and leave him in place until the end of his contract when it will cost them nothing to get rid.

Yes I don't think Cook will be removed by IEC regardless of what happens unfortunately. I think we are all but relegated - not because we are too far adrift - any other manager with the fixtures we have i'd back us to escape. But there is too much inherently wrong under Cook and he is unwilling and unable to learn from mistakes and do the most logical things to maximise our chances of survival.

I think Cook could probably relegate us to L2 next season and Royle and the ownership wouldn't lift a finger at this point.

Yes I don't think Cook will be removed by IEC regardless of what happens unfortunately. I think we are all but relegated - not because we are too far adrift - any other manager with the fixtures we have i'd back us to escape. But there is too much inherently wrong under Cook and he is unwilling and unable to learn from mistakes and do the most logical things to maximise our chances of survival.

I think Cook could probably relegate us to L2 next season and Royle and the ownership wouldn't lift a finger at this point.

It sounds kdz that your little one is depriving you of too much sleep, thereby making you terminally grumpy. A little gripe water is recommended ....... try some yourself too.
;)

It sounds kdz that your little one is depriving you of too much sleep, thereby making you terminally grumpy. A little gripe water is recommended ....... try some yourself too.
;)

I am certainly sleep deprived but not grumpy at all - I'm so used to the disappointment and expect it now.

I don't believe there's any point saying things look ok when I don't believe it. It's sad how things are going and it's criminal it's been allowed to happen but it's unfortunately the reality of our situation.

A yo-yo club is the best we can hope for...an established championship club ?.. never. We dont have the support, I've accepted this and I suggest you do.

Like Brentford, Milwall have the support ?
Or Bournemouth in the prem.
This obsession with crowds / Little Wigan syndrome is .
Any club income is miniscule compared to TV revenue and selling on developed players (of which IEC have invested in).
Championship stability / pressing for play offs is what we should hope for not L1 every other year 🙈

Like Brentford, Milwall have the support ?
Or Bournemouth in the prem.
This obsession with crowds / Little Wigan syndrome is .
Any club income is miniscule compared to TV revenue and selling on developed players (of which IEC have invested in).
Championship stability / pressing for play offs is what we should hope for not L1 every other year 🙈

Poor comparison IMO...were you at Wembley when Millwall had 40,000 there or when Gillingham brought 45,000 to our 6 k. Brentford's and Bournemouth's grounds hold them back and would attract more than we could muster. Indeed , we live in a town were over half the population hate our guts and support any other football team than the Latics....they aren't there and they will not come. Theres about 9k diehards which to me is League 1.

Poor comparison IMO...were you at Wembley when Millwall had 40,000 there or when Gillingham brought 45,000 to our 6 k. Brentford's and Bournemouth's grounds hold them back and would attract more than we could muster. Indeed , we live in a town were over half the population hate our guts and support any other football team than the Latics....they aren't there and they will not come. Theres about 9k diehards which to me is League 1.
Not sure where the missing Milwall and Gills fans are and never mind you missed my point completely and yes I was there at both.
Think we took a few more than 6k to the cup final though 😉.
As i said though it's nowt to do with crowds.
Its about TV revenue (dependent on which league you are in) and selling players on you develop for not much or buy relatively cheaply.
How many extra Wiganers would need to come to the DW to match the £10m we almost / will get for Robinson and then the fantastic kids we have ?
It's exactly what Brentford have done and not too badly !
Where you at Wembley when we beat them in 84 ? Don't remember 40k bees around 😉

Point is the missing Millwall and Gills fans are there though...ours don't exist. Cup final was populated by our 9k diehards plus some rugby fans plus thousands of Wiganers who support United and Liverpool ( we had 5 in our group ). The Charity Shield following was more representative ( about 7k ).
I take you point about money being the king of the game but to attract investment needed to get back to the promised land people will look for sustainability and quite frankly will look to the umpteen city teams with huge followings as a better prospect.

No I wasnt at Wembley in 84 as we had started a family and was upto my bollocks in nappies at the time.

I do love my club but the lack of interest from Wiganers in general and even open hostility from half the population frustrates me but I've come to terms with it and have given up worrying about it...we have a great core of supporters but when I look at the empty stands I think is it feckin worth it ?

Point is the missing Millwall and Gills fans are there though...ours don't exist. Cup final was populated by our 9k diehards plus some rugby fans plus thousands of Wiganers who support United and Liverpool ( we had 5 in our group ). The Charity Shield following was more representative ( about 7k ).
I take you point about money being the king of the game but to attract investment needed to get back to the promised land people will look for sustainability and quite frankly will look to the umpteen city teams with huge followings as a better prospect.

No I wasnt at Wembley in 84 as we had started a family and was upto my bollocks in nappies at the time.

I do love my club but the lack of interest from Wiganers in general and even open hostility from half the population frustrates me but I've come to terms with it and have given up worrying about it...we have a great core of supporters but when I look at the empty stands I think is it feckin worth it ?
Gillingham is a poor example. Of those 45k at Wembley, I’d bet my house that at least 35k of them have never stepped foot inside of Priestfield and never will. You cannot call those people Gillingham fans. The amount of cockney accents that day told the whole story. Thousands more West Ham and Palace fans than Gillingham fans in the ground that day.