Iceland... | Vital Football

Iceland...

They sure did take a beating. That note about Hodgson not watching the Iceland game just shows how we didn't respect them. And as mentioned in the article, they were the better team. Fair play to the Icelandic, they deserved the win.

They sure did take a beating. That note about Hodgson not watching the Iceland game just shows how we didn't respect them. And as mentioned in the article, they were the better team. Fair play to the Icelandic, they deserved the win.

So arrogant that we didn't even suss that they had pretty much one throw in. The long one with the flick on into the 6 yard box, and they duly equalised with it. How the f**k do people simply not do their homework in these situations? It's not like they aren't getting paid a fortune or don't have the time?

So arrogant that we didn't even suss that they had pretty much one throw in. The long one with the flick on into the 6 yard box, and they duly equalised with it. How the f**k do people simply not do their homework in these situations? It's not like they aren't getting paid a fortune or don't have the time?
The mind does boggle at the thought. I always think that no matter what lines we trot out, we have to go out there and show them the respect they deserve etc, we never actually do. It's all too easy to imagine that it's job done simply by turning up, and then of course the opposition shows some fight and we crumble!

The mind does boggle at the thought. I always think that no matter what lines we trot out, we have to go out there and show them the respect they deserve etc, we never actually do. It's all too easy to imagine that it's job done simply by turning up, and then of course the opposition shows some fight and we crumble!
Let's also not forget, the England side are a way short of what the premier league's media darlings would have us believe.
We usually come up short against decent sides at tournaments. On that occasion we excelled ourselves.

I suspect that Mr Southgate probably doesn't avoid his homework. His work on penalties and practising them leads me to believe he's someone who doesn't take chances with not doing things.
There's a fascinating anecdote from Italia 90 retold by Chris Waddle in "All Played Out" by Pete Davies. The England management watched Cameroon and then went out and told the squad that their quarter final game was "pretty much a bye", Waddle recalls walking exhausted of the pitch and remarking to a team mate "Some bye that was". I would not have believed it if it wasn't a member of the England team on the night recounting it.

I suspect that Mr Southgate probably doesn't avoid his homework. His work on penalties and practising them leads me to believe he's someone who doesn't take chances with not doing things.
There's a fascinating anecdote from Italia 90 retold by Chris Waddle in "All Played Out" by Pete Davies. The England management watched Cameroon and then went out and told the squad that their quarter final game was "pretty much a bye", Waddle recalls walking exhausted of the pitch and remarking to a team mate "Some bye that was". I would not have believed it if it wasn't a member of the England team on the night recounting it.
Yes we were beyond lucky against Camaroon. Southgate gets his tactics from the Cowley boys if the bus stop corner was anything to go by.
Of course the double bluff can sometimes work as in Shankly would throw some young kid in against a world class centre half and tell him the opponent was garbage.

Last night I watched 'One Night in Turin' on Amazon Prime about Italia 90. Very enjoyable documentary.

Yes, I think you're right there. Everything I've seen and heard of Southgate suggests that he does indeed do the hard yards, and good for him (and us as a whole!) that he does. I get fed up of the arrogant stance we seem to have taken up so often in the past. We have done nothing to earn that.

Okay I have to hold my hands up to this one. I was actually at this match in the stadium in Nice!

Two abiding memories that stand out for me from that match were seeing Harry Kane our best striker and one of the best in the world taking corners ( what was that all about) at that point you sort of knew we were doomed. The other thing was what a great atmosphere it was in Nice all day with the English and Icelandic fans all mixing and drinking and laughing together. I ended up sitting next to a guy from Reykjavik and he along with all their fans were great.

I do remember him saying that they were all melting he said occasionally it gets up to 20 degrees in Iceland and it was about 36 in Nice that day!

Despite the result and England's abject performance it was still a great experience.