I was there...Doncaster away | Vital Football

I was there...Doncaster away

jocklatic

Vital 1st Team Regular
Bit late I know but here goes........ A snippet into the last game of the season from the get go to the way back home.
7 of us decided to make the trip to the Keepmoat for what was hopefully going to be the crowning of the champions. We decided that we'd leave Ashton earlyish to arrive in good time so we could soak up the atmosphere & have a few beers. Beers stashed for the journey we left at 1pm with the sunshine blazing, little did we know the 1hr 40 min journey would be 3hours plus thanks to a lorry fire on the opposite carriageway on the M62 (cue the toilet stops). On arriving at the Keepmoat it was strange seeing so many Latics fans along with some glorious weather.
The build up to this game was huge, the anticipated crowd was going to be big but even bigger was the expectation from the said crowd. Would 'little Wigan' do it the usual hard way with a nail biting wait 'ont rrrrovers score' or a cricket score to soothe the nerves???? The support from the off was loud n proud creating a brilliant atmosphere & one I'm sure spurred the players on.
Well as we all know we did it & did it in style, maybe not the best 1st half but in the 2nd half once the goal went in, the players along with the fans went wild it really was PARTY time. It was great to see that the win meant as much to the players as it did to us. Coming out of the ground you could see the joy on all the latics faces...most couldn't stop smiling / singing. Thankfully the journey back home was shorter aided by a Latics CD compilation with "Will Griggs on fire" on full volume which drew lots of smiles from both Wigan & Doncaster fans as we passed them. Needless to say a messy end was had back in Ashton with sore heads a plenty on Sunday. Going to be a long wait now for the fixtures to come out & the season to start but at least it may be tempered by watching Egypt (& Sam) have a good run in that mickey mouse cup over the summer....think the English call it the 'World Cup'!!! LOL