I want to be able to sing this tomorrow | Vital Football

I want to be able to sing this tomorrow

Graham Taylor and John Ward came to Cherry Willingham Junior School with the Trophy and walked into the packed Hall to the sounds of 'We are the Champions'. I will always associate that song with the Lincoln 1975/76 squad.

If you're talking about the Queen song (as opposed to the theme tune of the kids TV show, possibly?) then sorry to tell you but your memory is playing a trick on you. We Will RockYou/We Are The Champions wasn't released until late 77.

If you're talking about the Queen song (as opposed to the theme tune of the kids TV show, possibly?) then sorry to tell you but your memory is playing a trick on you. We Will RockYou/We Are The Champions wasn't released until late 77.

Sadly that means they must have entered to the 'not nearly as cool' 'Congratulations' by Cliff Richard. No wonder my mind played tricks on me.

We are the champions and we will Rock you by Queen definitely came out in 1977 and got no.2 in the hit parade, double a side.
Despite the probably having being at a different point in the band's history during the recent film about them.

Last edited:
I may need to check my Guinness Book of British Hit Singles to check this...

...but I think you are correct before looking!

I may need to check my Guinness Book of British Hit Singles to check this...

...but I think you are correct before looking!

He certainly is. Night at the Opera came out in 1975, followed by Day at the Races at least a year later, no way We are the Champions was out at the same time as we won Division 4 since that was on News of the World

I think a corus of "we are going up, I said we are going up" will be a must at some point today whatever the result.:wahey:

Our previous manager put this pic up earlier, when the fans had as much flare as the players.