I object! | Vital Football

I object!

Juan Mourep

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/10/atheist-poster-removed-london-university_n_4759711.html

Flying Spaghetti Monster Poster Removed From London South Bank University Atheist Society Stall

A poster which replaced the image of God from the Sistine Chapel with a picture of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been removed after with a row with a London University.

The South Bank University Atheism society created the graphics for their freshers' fair stall last week, but returning to the pre-prepared stall on the University campus for the first day of the fair, they allege the posters were removed by union representatives.

"I never expected to face such blatant censorship and fragile sensibilities at university, I thought this would be an institution where I could challenge beliefs and in turn be challenged.

"All I have seen is religious sensibilities trumping all other rights with no space for argument, challenge or reasoned debate. It is not what I expected when I came to university."

In December, the London School of Economics apologised to two atheist students for threatening to kick them of a freshers fair if they did not cover up their t-shirts depicting the controversial 'Jesus and Mo' cartoons.

The incident, which took place in October, attracted nationwide attention, with famous atheist Richard Dawkins weighing in to criticise the institution.

Student Union officials had demanded the students remove the t-shirts, and several other pieces of literature, because there had been complaints from offended passers-by.

Much more at the link.

Flying Spaghetti Monster? What next? Anyway I can understand why they removed it, people get tetchy when it comes to religion and mocking someone's beliefs is going to cause offense and you have to acknowledge that even if you don't believe in it yourself

But then I saw a religious rep the other day saying light ribbing etc and some of the comedic lampoons were a good thing because people should question their faith and these things helped.

Trouble is nowadays you can't really joke about anything. Although I do understand the flipside and you don't really want to insult or really upset people either.

I have no problem with people questioning their own, mine or others' faith but I struggle to see the need for an atheist society unless their aim is to try to spread their word or atheism. Is that really necessary?

Religions do it because they believe they are helping to save people's souls, how does this work for atheism?

If someone could explain it to me I'd much appreciate it as I genuinely don't get it. All I see is people taking an opportunity to mock something they don't believe in themselves. I have no problem with that but do they really need a society to do this?

The Fear - 11/2/2014 11:18

But then I saw a religious rep the other day saying light ribbing etc and some of the comedic lampoons were a good thing because people should question their faith and these things helped.

Trouble is nowadays you can't really joke about anything. Although I do understand the flipside and you don't really want to insult or really upset people either.

You upset me every time you take the piss out of bald people!!!! :33:

I'd not feel the need to join an atheist society I must admit, but then I'd not join much really. But there are obviously religious societies, if people feel they need their atheist one, each to their own I'd say.

There's a big difference between not agreeing with something and directly trying to offend by mocking and it.

I see these atheists as being a bit like many of the obsessed blues fans I know. More concerend with what the others are doing and trying to have a go at them, than living their own lives. The only people it's detrimental to is themselves - live and let live FFS.

I find the whole shock comedian, controvertial artists, twitter troll bollocks quite boring and annoying now. What happened to genuine talent like that possesed by the original artist?

The quote talks about 'challenging beliefs' How is changing a painting of God into one of a spagetti monster, doing that? It's what i'd expect of a child. If someone is partaking in such immature antics whilst gathering student debt, then I would seriously worry about their mental state, and wonder how they attained to university student status in the first place!

If people really are offended they need to take a look at this:-

[youtube=fHMoDt3nSHs]

You are just persecuting artists who like flying spaghetti monsters Jim

Why oh why are you so mean!!!!

And agree re trolls. They are becoming the Bain of my life.

Just don't get so won't look on twitter why people feel the need to follow someone to tell them they don't like them or what they do. I was told the other day Alan Sugar (not good for you, see sugar thread!) is even on it and has a go at others.

Get a grip!!

instead of attracting attention as an athiest group why don't they just call themselves a non prophet organisation.........

Villan Of The North - 11/2/2014 11:03

Religions do it because they believe they are helping to save people's souls, how does this work for atheism?

Yes, of course they are, more like they are after your donations, your time without paying a wage, and of course the furtherance and support of their organisation, which in reality is nothing more than a money making corporation.

But yes they really care, they care so much they sell their gold and art and vast properties to support homeless people and help to feed the needy, don't they, do they F.....

Juan Mourep - 11/2/2014 18:30

Villan Of The North - 11/2/2014 11:03

Yes, of course they are, more like they are after your donations, your time without paying a wage, and of course the furtherance and support of their organisation, which in reality is nothing more than a money making corporation.

But yes they really care, they care so much they sell their gold and art and vast properties to support homeless people and help to feed the needy, don't they, do they F.....

So all religions are the same? I thought you were more open minded but I shall rephrase so that I'm clear in what I'm saying.

Religious people do it because they believe they are helping to save people's souls.

I'm with VOTN on this one, religion is there for a purpose, if you don't personally believe it that's fine but an Atheist society? I'm not sure what the purpose is for that, it's just creating an us vs them mentality regarding religion which is wrong.

As for the painting of the Spaghetti Monster, it actually has a valid reason behind it (look it up on Wiki). It is a 'real' religion created as a protest to Intelligent Design being taught as a science equal to Evolution in US schools. I don't think there is a need for this sort of stuff in the UK, in the US there are religious 'nuts' whereas I think overall British people are more accepting of the scientific evidence

People care about the silliest shit...

Imagine you called the spaghetti monster Mohammed now you've got a problem...

Do you know what makes me laugh about this, the "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was from an episode of South Park that was against atheism.