I Have No Idea | Vital Football

I Have No Idea

sheffield_imp

Vital Newbie
I have to be honest I am starting to get a bit anxious about the coming season. Don't get me wrong I have been really impressed with the recent acquisitions, but we really haven't seen any of them. I certainly believed that with seven days to go to the first game we would have played our new starting line up against Salford, I know we have Stockport on Tuesday but no disrespect what sort of work out is that going to be. I sincerely think we have a team/squad that can make the play offs again but surely they need game time to gel into that unit.

It will be fine. The players from last year have nothing to prove or fear. The additions will fit in, players will improve youth will come through we will it be fine.

players like rogers grant are all well and good but they did hogg the ball at times now we have more balance and quality in all positions.

I feel we need an experienced keeper so long can go out on loan plus a couple more defenders but otherwise we good

We might be a bit under-cooked and start a bit slowly, much like Oxford last season. It won’t last - worth remembering Blackpool were struggling with some calling for Critchleys head in September/October.
Think you are right. We could have done with a kinder opener as well. Under-cooked against a totally physical barrage certainly isn't ideal.

I have to be honest I am starting to get a bit anxious about the coming season. Don't get me wrong I have been really impressed with the recent acquisitions, but we really haven't seen any of them. I certainly believed that with seven days to go to the first game we would have played our new starting line up against Salford, I know we have Stockport on Tuesday but no disrespect what sort of work out is that going to be. I sincerely think we have a team/squad that can make the play offs again but surely they need game time to gel into that unit.

I trust in Appleton. Might not seem it from my aftermatch moans but the guy is clearly a top top coach, knows what he is doing and will make us all proud again. Like it or not we are on paper a mid table side and again this season play offs or better are a great achievement.

He obviously thinks the players he hasn't played, if he is going to start them, are ready to go!!! I would bet the guy from Saints has been tuned for years and will be a hit from the start.

From what I have read and seen I am expecting a proper front 3 this season, not a 4-3-3 that ends up as 4-5-1 as it did most of last season. The Rogers/Brennan roles being much more forwards with better covering sideways (midfielders) from the centre.

I'm quite excited. In my years of watching Lincoln I didn't expect a manager like Appleton to come along and make us play "up to date" football. Last year we fell short because a few holes meant we couldn't be as progressive as he wanted but a year on and a year extra with the squad I fully expect he will now (meaning end of window) have what he thinks can go the distance.

I have an inkling that while we the fans will look at Grant being a big loss it may gain for us as we could do with a team that is greater than the sum of it parts and not reliant on a single source.........that source also liable to slowing the rest of the play down at times (IMO.) Don't get me wrong. I rated Grant. Was my MOTM many times last season but I think we could see a much faster team this season. Doesn't always require the mindblowing skills or a 40 yard diagonal (are you watching Monstma) just fast passing, short, medium and players that break together.

-Less than a week to go. Woop, Woop.....hic.lol

Last edited:
I trust in Appleton. Might not seem it from my aftermatch moans but the guy is clearly a top top coach, knows what he is doing and will make us all proud again. Like it or not we are on paper a mid table side and again this season play offs or better are a great achievement.
Yes, this. Confident about upper-mid-table, optimistic about reaching the playoffs again.

I don't think any regular watchers of the football league has us anywhere near a relegation scrap, those people also have us as the only "small" club that is punching above it's weight and living with the bigger ones at the top of the table (and with the salary cap gone that gap has only got wider and wider.)

That must be testimony to the way we are run and the financing that has been put in place.

I don't think there is any doubt we should be expecting a top half finish or better this season and the last time we competed at this level for 2 seasons in a row is longer than I care to remember never mind actually just being in this league for a third season.

We are still in a fantastic position compared to any club of comparable size in this league (perhaps with the exception of Wycombe)

If we can just find a little bit more of a clinical edge this season to convert more of the fantastic chances we created in a lot of games last season then we could be right up there.

Exciting times!

I don't think any regular watchers of the football league has us anywhere near a relegation scrap, those people also have us as the only "small" club that is punching above it's weight and living with the bigger ones at the top of the table (and with the salary cap gone that gap has only got wider and wider.)

That must be testimony to the way we are run and the financing that has been put in place.

I don't think there is any doubt we should be expecting a top half finish or better this season and the last time we competed at this level for 2 seasons in a row is longer than I care to remember never mind actually just being in this league for a third season.

We are still in a fantastic position compared to any club of comparable size in this league (perhaps with the exception of Wycombe)

If we can just find a little bit more of a clinical edge this season to convert more of the fantastic chances we created in a lot of games last season then we could be right up there.

Exciting times!

in my mind we are an average sized league 1 club and I feel that we are about right. Its Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Charlton and Portsmouth that have all under achieved. The first 2 should really be premier league and the rest in the championship.

I feel that league one will be 3 leagues in 1 this year - the massive spenders who if they click should all be up there, the rest of us scrapping for playoffs and the poor unsuspected teams that came up last year plus the usual strugglers who are in for a shock as I feel the gulf in class is massive.

Exciting times!

Perfect summary, for me. I'm contractually bound to say we'll finish 12th - 14th but, off the record, it should be higher.

What ever happens this season we know that Michael Appleton will be coaching the team to be difficult to play against. Any team we face this season will need to bring their best game to get any points.

What we want to see season on season is improvement within the whole club and I don't think we can have any complaints on and off the pitch in any department since the board appointed Danny and Nicky and now MA building on from them.
I actually feel if we can get a fully fit squad with maybe a couple of more additions we are stronger than last season especially up front and in midfield.
Now obviously that counts for nothing with the size of some of the clubs in this league and the resources they have available to them but I am confident that we will be very competitive and let's see where that takes us.

What we want to see season on season is improvement within the whole club and I don't think we can have any complaints on and off the pitch in any department since the board appointed Danny and Nicky and now MA building on from them.
I actually feel if we can get a fully fit squad with maybe a couple of more additions we are stronger than last season especially up front and in midfield.
Now obviously that counts for nothing with the size of some of the clubs in this league and the resources they have available to them but I am confident that we will be very competitive and let's see where that takes us.

Great post and spot on for me.

I thought Gary on the Stacey West was spot on - I watched a preview he did with an Ipswich fan. If we improve 10% and other teams with much bigger budgets improve 30% then it looks like we're going backwards. But, one or two of them are bound to screw up and when that happens we'll be there or thereabouts.

Maybe the only thing we lack is a high level goalscorer but they of course come at a very high price and are both rare and difficult to find.
Tom Hopper though does a terrific job for us and Anthony Scully will surely be heading to a higher division either mid season or at the end of it and I can see him bringing in a seven figure fee for us (if he continues improving like he did last season).

Maybe the only thing we lack is a high level goalscorer but they of course come at a very high price and are both rare and difficult to find.
Tom Hopper though does a terrific job for us and Anthony Scully will surely be heading to a higher division either mid season or at the end of it and I can see him bringing in a seven figure fee for us (if he continues improving like he did last season).
I think that the way we are set up negates the need for an out and out goal scorer. We got plenty of goals last season from all over thhe park.