I hate what the world is becoming | Page 70 | Vital Football

I hate what the world is becoming

Forget where it was, but Jennifer Saunders did an interview the other day saying humour is dead. And that the shows that brought her shame, with Dawn French (obv) and the sit com, couldn't exist in the modern woke world.

Fine, the Bernard Manning type of 'humour' of the 70's we are totally better off without, but a lot of humour is meant to be/should be edgy and perhaps make you uncomfortable laughing at it (as Jimmy Carr has said before)

@DeanoVilla 's jokes often make me uncomfortable for instance, not because he's edgy, just they are usually shite! :punk:

The center ground needs to organise itself like some of these left wing lot do, its the only way to counter them.
Stop funding hate are a bunch of left wing bully boys behind the attack on GBNews, trying to disrupt its advertising revenue.
They have done this with a number of British newspapers with whom they disagree.
We need to organise to stop this woke brigade, its starting to resemble living in Mao Tse Tungs China.

I think my 3 favourite comedians were. Dave Allen, Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket. Sadly their humour his no longer acceptable. But what is acceptable are the comedians of today who can't tell a joke without swearing. I sometimes watch a bit of Lee Evans who does some stuff that I find funny but every other word begins with 'F'. I cant stand the Alan Carrs type of humour so dont watch the so called funny stuff of today Now I know that I am old but I was always told if you cant speak without swearing then keep your mouth shut..

Last edited:
I I cant stand the Jimmy Carrs type of humour so dont watch the so called funny stuff of today

But there.. in fact THERE lies the key to me.

You know you won't find it funny, you have obviously looked in and come to that conclusion.

Do you complain? Get into a tiz? Tell everyone you can't stand it? Do you demand advertisers avoid it?

Nope.

You don't watch it.

The new news channel, I'm not over bothered by, so I've just not bothered to look. I am not a fan of Alan Carr, so I don't watch his shows. I mean him no ill-will, I wish him and his audience the best, just not my cup of tea.

It is easy isn't it!?

Don't get offended by it, just avoid it, unless it is something specifically setting out to be offensive and then, rightly, we should all condemn it.

But there.. in fact THERE lies the key to me.

You know you won't find it funny, you have obviously looked in and come to that conclusion.

Do you complain? Get into a tiz? Tell everyone you can't stand it? Do you demand advertisers avoid it?

Nope.

You don't watch it.

The new news channel, I'm not over bothered by, so I've just not bothered to look. I am not a fan of Alan Carr, so I don't watch his shows. I mean him no ill-will, I wish him and his audience the best, just not my cup of tea.

It is easy isn't it!?

Don't get offended by it, just avoid it, unless it is something specifically setting out to be offensive and then, rightly, we should all condemn it.
And there it is JF. I dont like it but I am no critical of people who do. At the end of the day it is all down to taste. I dont watch it because I dont like it, Lots of people do like it. There are always two choices in life.

The center ground needs to organise itself like some of these left wing lot do, its the only way to counter them.
Stop funding hate are a bunch of left wing bully boys behind the attack on GBNews, trying to disrupt its advertising revenue.
They have done this with a number of British newspapers with whom they disagree.
We need to organise to stop this woke brigade, its starting to resemble living in Mao Tse Tungs China.
The censorship impulse is very Stalinist it has to be said.

Comedy is supposed to tackle the taboo, this is Patrice O'Neal (RIP) defending the right of a comedian to attempt a rape joke. His argument is it comes from a place of funny and not hate or to be mean spirited or anything like that.

What psychology would say is a rape joke could be triggering to someone in the crowd with a history of sexual abuse. The argument I think many would have is you need to know what you're going to see. I offered spare tickets to a Bill Burr show to a friend and his misses. His misses didn't laugh once, my GF mostly laughed uncomfortably but she knew the deal. They've been trying to cancel Bill for years and they can't.

Sometimes stuff just isnt funny and you have to adapt, plenty of comedians used "faggot" for years but its not acceptable anymore. Nobody continues with it. I am honestly shocked they havent tried to take away "pussy" yet. Granted this is mostly American context. In an Irish context, imitating the travellers is a bit classless now but I have to admit Tommy Tiernan had a joke that I found pretty funny.

Yeah this cancel culture needs to end. But what I find laughable is the people shouting their multi coloured hair off are hypercrites in the main. They stomp their feet and demand things but behind scenes they are just as bad.
Example of top of my head... Piers Morgan interviewed an extinction rebellion organiser about using trees and paper... On TV. Live. What did she have behind her? A huge wooden shelving unit.
Thankfully he called her/it out on it and made her look very silly.
Just an example.

Is it just me that finds modern day comedians rubbish.

I think there's just significantly more of them and the barrier to entry is much lower. To get a special even 5 years ago was difficult now Netflix gives it to anyone with a half-decent following.

I personally rate Bill Burr top 3 right now and my current favourite but loads of people have never even heard of him due to quality dilution.

Rhod Gilbert.
Kevin bridges.
Jimmy Carr.
Ricky Gervais.

All do it for me. There's a lot of comedians I can't even raise a smile for. Well most of them actually.
Without being sexist... This is just a fact. I have yet to see a female comedian that has even got me half thinking about making half a smile.

I love Bill Burr, Louis CK, Jim Breuer, Ricky Gervais, Doug Stanhope and others but most of them have been around since the early '90s, I don't know any "modern" comics, and I'd imagine in this climate the mainstream ones suck massive balls.