i-Follow - Commentary update | Vital Football

i-Follow - Commentary update

A little confused by "Alternatively, supporters can tune in to BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s DAB and FM frequencies whilst watching the match, but there will be a minor delay. " Does that mean they will still be commentating whilst watching iFollow from the studio?

Tbf I can’t understand why this isn’t the norm (without Covid) if trying to cut down on T&S costs and VfM.

A little confused by "Alternatively, supporters can tune in to BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s DAB and FM frequencies whilst watching the match, but there will be a minor delay. " Does that mean they will still be commentating whilst watching iFollow from the studio?

I assume so yes. Week before last (Northampton) week I put the radio on at half time so I could listen to the PM announcement. Pressed the "live" button on ifollow. FM Radio was in the region of 30 seconds to a minute ahead of the "live" ifollow stream, so not a minor delay. lol.

Seems strange but I guess it would be even further out if they tried to marry up them commentating on a 30 second delay?

As an after thought, we could have “Rate the Commentator” along with “Rate the Ref”.

After spending ages working out an average after the Northampton one with scores of i negative being awarded I hate to think what would be awarded against Hortin so I'll leave that to someone else to sort out

Makes sense. Even if R. Lincs commentary was availble outside UK, would be way out of sync with iFollow. So Wombles commentary for me then.

I assume so yes. Week before last (Northampton) week I put the radio on at half time so I could listen to the PM announcement. Pressed the "live" button on ifollow. FM Radio was in the region of 30 seconds to a minute ahead of the "live" ifollow stream, so not a minor delay. lol.

Seems strange but I guess it would be even further out if they tried to marry up them commentating on a 30 second delay?
When watching on Saturday the live was 40 seconds behind as flashscore told me we'd scored before we did on ifollow, but that's the closest it's been when I've watched, always going to be a delay I guess.

Does it mean away fans tuning in to SB matches will have to choose:Hortin etc; nothing; out of sync their local radio/other source? I hope someone has the time to search for their reaction as it could be worth a few sympathetic clicks on Vital LCFC as opposed to deluded rants from away managers and referee 'bangers'

I feel sorry for fans of all the other clubs who are going to have to listen to Hortin's commentary when we are at home.

This will prove the Hortin and Thommo (when he returns from the naughty step) combo are not so bad as a lot percieve.

Although, one can't un-hear Hortin's heavy breathing - once it was pointed out to me via this forum, its impossible to switch off from - I was spinning through the dial the other week and came across that stupid 'treasure hunt' programme he hosts on a Sunday morning and he is out of breath on that too!

Last edited:
This will prove the Hortin and Thommo (when he returns from the naughty step) combo are not so bad as a lot percieve.

Although, one can't un-hear Hortin's heavy breathing - once it was pointed out to me via this forum, its impossible to switch off from - I was spinning through the dial the other week and came across that stupid 'treasure hunt' programme he hosts on a Sunday morning and he is out of breath on that too!

I don't know if some amps/receivers have delay adjustment extend as far as 30-40 seconds. Most only have delay adjustment for a a fraction of a second. Think mine goes as far as 240 milliseconds so not much use. lol.

It does say 'frequencies' and not 'commentary', so although I could be wrong, I think what it means is that you can either listen to the Radio London commentary on iFollow, or for those without iFollow you can listen to the Radio London commentary on Radio Lincolnshire DAB or FM.

If so, it perhaps could have been worded more clearly.

I don't know if some amps/receivers have delay adjustment extend as far as 30-40 seconds. Most only have delay adjustment for a a fraction of a second. Think mine goes as far as 240 milliseconds so not much use. lol.

The way I read it is the commentary will be the local feed for iFollow- Radio Lincs in the case of matches played at SB. If one is in 'range' the DAB or FM broadcast too.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for fans of all the other clubs who are going to have to listen to Hortin's commentary when we are at home.

Maybe he will be forced to learn some of the players names and numbers. I don't expect him to go the extra mile and recognise what they actually look like - that would be asking too much; even with half the number of games to attend.

It does say 'frequencies' and not 'commentary', so although I could be wrong, I think what it means is that you can either listen to the Radio London commentary on iFollow, or for those without iFollow you can listen to the Radio London commentary on Radio Lincolnshire DAB or FM.

If so, it perhaps could have been worded more clearly.

The key part is "...Supporters will be able to select the home commmentary or listen without commentary by clicking the settings cog on the iFollow stream and selecting the required option..."