Hull City vs Villa | Page 11 | Vital Football

Hull City vs Villa

The only thing that worries me is we might not even make the play off if we can't raise our game above the lackluster performance of today

Sadly it is a threat. Gulp! I think we've about got enough points but the teams below like Millwall are totally on a roll.

If it was a one off, I'd brush this off, but after the excellence of Wolves, QPR, Bolton and now today have all been utterly dreadful.

QPR, Bolton, Hull. One - ONE! - point against teams battling relegation.

Nowhere near good enough. All our Christmases came at once against Wolves. Since then, nothing but clueless, dire football, Pretty much what we have seen all season long. It's just that in other matches, we have taken our chances, or got lucky in some other way.

Didn't think much of the team today - Elmo should have been in ahead of Tuanzebe, for instance. And my feelings about Lansbury are well documented - he was just as woeful as I expected. Although credit where it is due, he made a vital interception towards the end which probably saved a Hull goal.

Automatic promotion is not going to happen now. What we have to do is get back on track against Reading on Tuesday and make sure we don't do a Derby and fail to even make the play-offs.

As per usual, if we're going to do this (promotion), we'll be doing the hard way - it's the Villa way.

Tuesday. Villa Park. Be there. They need us.

:utv::utv::utv:

It's blazingly obvious to me what the issue is and its an issue we have had since last season. The lack of dynamism in the central midfield has been exposed time and again . We never drive or create through the middle. There is no guile, creativity. It is either get the ball out wide or nothing and if teams nullify that then we are easy to play against . How many times tonight did we get it wide only to check back inside and go backwards. Grealish is the closest we have and he is not a central midfielder so no point expecting him to do it. The gap between central midfield and the forwards is ridiculous. If the ball goes in the opposite box then out again our central midfield may catch up and grab the ball but they are never in the box on the first phase.

For this I blame Bruce fair and square.

Listen - Bruce is the problem, sure he has steadied the ship, but can he take us over the horizon with his brand of football, doubt it, way too cautious, rudderless on the high seas

Last edited:
Not long back. Very disappointing . It feels like a loss ,and I have to keep reminding myself that we in fact got a point.

To many players off key today , Albert should have scored from one of his chances and generally had a nightmare , as did Grabban and to a lesser extent Snoddy and Jack. Disagreed with the first sub as I would have taken Grabban off for Kodjia because a midfield two of Lansbury and Grealish was never going to work. Having advocated playing Lansbury I was especially disappointed with his showing as I would have been expecting him to bust a gut to prove he was worth a place in the side but was very passive and ineffective.

Have to try and win the last 7 games now which would give us 91 points. Whether that would be enough for automatic promotion I am not to sure.

I guess Bruce promised Jose that he’d play Twanzebe as long as he’s fit. Elmo put in more dangerous crosses in 12 minutes than our two starting full backs did in the entire match between them.
And why, when we’re not getting enough of the ball in midfield (which was glaringly obvious 2nd half) would you take off a midfielder for a goal poacher who can only score with service from..... midfield!!
I think Grealish thinks he’s “made it” after 5 or 6 decent performances after injury. Since Wolves he’s gone back to the Jack of old - just strolling around and making poor decisions... He has produced zero goal scoring chances again today (no I don’t count his two weak efforts from 25 yards).

I think Lansbury was completely spent by the end of the first half - hardly surprising considering he hasn’t played 90 minutes of proper football in about 6 months!
To be honest, if I was Bjarnasson right now I’d be raging. That match was tailor made for his mobility in the middle of the park and he didn’t even make the bench. But our on-loan center-back/holding midfielder from Man Utd got to play at right back (because he’s apparently better than the three other right backs at the club)..
:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh:

The line up was all wrong and not having Houriane in midfield really made it tough for Grealish. It should have been Barny or Whelan instead of Jedi and Tuanzebe was not the man to replace Elmo. These three team errors cost us dearly. Make these same mistakes against Reading and we will get badly beaten and then it is game over for promotion.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. We won the cup final against Wolves and have been taking it easy in our post-season friendlies. No point in busting a gut in these meaningless matches.

Well, I got home at nearly 2am , and for what.......

A truly gutless, pathetic excuse of a performance from one a nd all.

They didn't give a shit - none of them !!!

Special mention to both Lansbury and Grealish who were truly remarkable in their non existance. Lansbury has waited all season for a chance, and then just stands around watching all that pass him by do what they want.

And Grealish - well that lasted didn;t it. For some reason he seems to think he is Bobby Moore, coming 25 yards from our own goal and trying , and the word is trying, to find Villa players with 30 yard balls (which invariably are given away, or, he run 10 yards and decides he would rather have an Oscar than a Promotion medal by running 10 yards and then diving to the floor better than the cast of Saving Private Ryan !!!

They were the issue yesterday, due to them walking around 25 yards from our own gaol, meant that our forwards were totally isolated, outnumbered and out fought - but in truth , everyone bar one was as bad. The bar one being Tuanzabe, who looks a bloody good player, so we decide to take him off !!!

The rest just strolled around, moaning, whinging, and really looking as if they didn't give a toss.

Bruce is losing me ...... fast !

Lets face it, the next 7 games don't matter anymore - we have a 2 or hopefully 3 game season now, and if we play in them the way we have been recently, we will get absolutely mullered.

Dreadful by all

Worrying thing about Millwall is they totally out played us at Villa Park , I wouldn't want to be going there last game of the season needing a win to make the playoffs . I know people think we are home and hosed but 1 point from the last 3 games is our current form , not the Wolves win .
We aren't even battling and that is a prerequisite in this league .

We don't look like we are trying .
I just can't believe Johnstone is hoofing every single ball and nobody is giving him an option they all turn their backs on him . It wouldn't be so bad if we had Davis up there but we haven't .
I could could write a book at the moment but whats the point we can all see it , some don't want to see it .

Just got to hope we show up in play offs - they only look good in big games / crowd / atmosphere, when they need to deliver game in game out they aren’t good enough compared to top 2.

The 7 game run gave us a chance of promotion which we still have, I personally don’t have faith in Bruce to have enough to get us up but I still have blind hope.

Got to agree with Villan57 about Johnstone. I said on here some months back how poor I thought he was. He is a shot-stopper, doesn't command his area, not even the six yard box, and his distribution is at times woeful. He has been here nearly 2 seasons and I fail to see any improvement and if the paper mill is right and Wet Spam want him for £4 million then good luck to them.

HL.
Your obsession with Grealish blinkers your view. Yes he was poor. He gave the ball away, nothing came off but no way was he hiding. Whatever people level at Jack I only see him wanting the ball and trying to create something. He is the only one that I see dropping and taking the ball off other players. Lansbury, totally agree. Awful, show pony, one raking pass a game and thats it.
Axel, disagree. He was poor, more so in the second half. Staggering that given Elmo's general consistency he didnt start. We looked ten times the threat down the right side when he came on.

Tuanzebe was woeful but played out of position. Blame Bruce. No Bjarnason or Davis on the bench. Blame Bruce. Playing carthorse Jedinak. Blame Bruce. Ridiculous subsitutions leaving us with plenty of forwards and nobody to give them the ball. Blame Bruce.
Jack can create and I wouldn’t blame him but he just doesn’t scire enough, his two early shots both lame. Snoddy tried hard, Adomah last three games poor, should have scored early on.
Im afraid its an average squad which might make the play offs but look to be in freefall. Blame Bruce.
Bruce has got teams out of the championship 4 times but not with a club of such high expectations and aspirations. Next team selection is massive and hes got to get more energy into the team. Thor intead of Jedinak is a starter.

How is Bruce suddenly going to get everything right when he can't see what is wrong with his own eyes? He continually talks about fixing whats wrong and he then continually allows the same thing to happen all over again.

He's a very limited manager and to send players out on to the pitch with a complete lack of mental toughness like they have been showing most of the time is criminal.

However what's worse is having a manager and coaching staff unable to motivate, unable see what's going wrong and fix it, and setting us up as probably the most predictable team in this division leaving any team thinking they have got a great chance to beat us because we hardly employ any tactics except hoofball which went out of style years ago.

Our players are allowed to do as much or as little as they like leaving the opposition time to impose themselves on us as they simply close down any individual players we have who might change a game.

Bruce did what he is good at and that was making us hard to break down and that stabilised the slide we went on so thanks Steve for that.

However when he hits the brick wall which seems to happen to him at every club then he displays he hasn't got the managerial skills to fix the problem and as his record further shows, he either ends up sacked or walks and I don't see anything different at Villa Park unless he changes his ways and that just isn't going to happen.

Just my opinion of course but I said the same things before he arrived and I haven't seen anything of real managerial quality or consistency from him to think he is the ideal man to lead us forward into the future.

Last edited: