Hull City V Aston Villa: Mon, 6th Aug, Match Thread. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Hull City V Aston Villa: Mon, 6th Aug, Match Thread.

Whelan can't play more than half an hour before his legs go. Jedinak and Bjarnisson are both better. If he's any role to play it's coming off the bench to help us see a game out.

For me Barney every day in the CDM spot, he's got the legs and propelled us forward when he had the spot for the 3-5 games before being replaced against Blues (unfairly if I may add).

Steer
De Laet/Chester/Elphick/Hutton
Barney
Adomah/Hourihane/Grealish/Green
Kodjia

Also, if we're playing 3 at the back, you'd have to go Chester/Elphick/Jedi with Hutts as the LWB and either De Laet/Elmo as the RWB.

As far as Whelan goes, I get the job he does, and agree he does it well. Personally, I'd rather play at a faster pace, so the role he plays isn't necessary or effective

For me Barney every day in the CDM spot, he's got the legs and propelled us forward when he had the spot for the 3-5 games before being replaced against Blues (unfairly if I may add).

Steer
De Laet/Chester/Elphick/Hutton
Barney
Adomah/Hourihane/Grealish/Green
Kodjia

Also, if we're playing 3 at the back, you'd have to go Chester/Elphick/Jedi with Hutts as the LWB and either De Laet/Elmo as the RWB.

As far as Whelan goes, I get the job he does, and agree he does it well. Personally, I'd rather play at a faster pace, so the role he plays isn't necessary or effective

Like that line up Yank.... Elphick for Terry, DeLaet for Elmo and Green back in. Not too much change and plenty of legs/energy. Jedi can slot in at CB or DCM when needed and Whelan when we need him.

Like that line up Yank.... Elphick for Terry, DeLaet for Elmo and Green back in. Not too much change and plenty of legs/energy. Jedi can slot in at CB or DCM when needed and Whelan when we need him.

Yeah, also very easy to change mid-game to the 3-5-2 if you want (although I still think we'd be more suited to the 3-4-3, or really more towards Arsenal's 3-4-2-1 with Jack/Green playing the free-roles of Ozil/Sanchez. if going that route). Just swap Jedi for Albert and you have:

Steer
Chester/Elphick/Jedi
De Laet/Barney/Hourihane/Hutts
Green/Grealish
Kodjia

Don't understand the lack of interest in Whelan. He's come back looking fit and committed. As it's an away game I think one of him and Jedi should be in the side, and I'd play him over Jedi any day. De Laet should play over Elmo. So:

Steer
De Laet Elphick Chester Hutton
Green Hourihane Whelan Grealish Adomah
Kodjia

If it was home I'd play Barney instead of Whelan.

Whelan slows us down too much, if we’re going to away games to grind out the 0-0’s or 0-1’s having one or two chances per game then fair enough, but we have to be going to games to try to win convincingly.

Whelan slows us down too much, if we’re going to away games to grind out the 0-0’s or 0-1’s having one or two chances per game then fair enough, but we have to be going to games to try to win convincingly.

Reality. At the moment Bruce won't set us up to win convincingly at away games; so long as he nicks 3 points he'll be happy. It's a long season. I think Barney to provide the drive at home games and Whelan to keep things solid at away games is a decent compromise.

Got the impression that Whelan was a bit fitter in the friendlies than last season. Not sure either Barney or Whelan have the stamina to keep on delivering the right performances week after week.

My problem with Whelan and Hourihane in the middle is neither of them are close enough or have the pace to get their man defensively, I find it painful watching from my vantage point.

Just watch Whelan get the ball and watch how long it takes him to move his legs and give it again - like I say, painful, even at this level let alone if we want to be back in the big time.

It depends what we all want I suppose.

We’re top of the league right now but by Sunday night we could be in the relegation places (if everyone draws) :rofl:
Talk about a fall....

Tickets for this game go on general sale tonight when was the last time that happened

You need a water carrier though and that's either Whelan or Jedinak . At present I'm edging it to whelan

Neither Whelan or Jedinak are mobile enough to be water-carriers Silhill. Thor on the other hand is mobile enough for the job.
Jedinak is the better at the defensive midfield job.

As its an away game and submitting to Mr Bruces fascination with playing three at the back, even though we don't have the players to play the system, I think more of a 3-4-2-1 set-up is required.

Goalkeeper?

Elphick.
Chester.
Hutton.

DeLaet.
Thor.
Jedinak.
Green.

Adomah.
Grealish.

Knibbs.

Whelan might be the starter solely due to the fact he has had a full pre-season, whilst Thor and Jedi returned later after their World Cup exploits.

Same scenario might be the case regarding De Laet and Elmo.