Hugo's Howlers | Page 26 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

His time is up as our number 1. If the club has any ambition whatsoever they will sign a new number 1 in the summer.

We already know the answer to that already of course. We will stick with Hugo and play the charity game.

His time is up as our number 1. If the club has any ambition whatsoever they will sign a new number 1 in the summer.

We already know the answer to that already of course. We will stick with Hugo and play the charity game.

Hugo has a deal until 2022, in reality that means if we don't extend in the summer, he's gone - thank God. Been a great servant, but Jose won't put up with any more goalkeeping displays like that.

It's been a long time but time for a re-visit perhaps?
One clear howler for the second goal v City. Beaten at his near post with him on his arse as usual. The pen I think he knows he could have done better.
Against Everton at least one howler where he over dramatized a bog standard save and flapped it into the net.

It's been a long time but time for a re-visit perhaps?
One clear howler for the second goal v City. Beaten at his near post with him on his arse as usual. The pen I think he knows he could have done better.
Against Everton at least one howler where he over dramatized a bog standard save and flapped it into the net.

My post above yours, still stands lol!

thought he started the season well but last two games he's been awful. Hoping for a big improvement and not further evidence of decline

thought he started the season well but last two games he's been awful. Hoping for a big improvement and not further evidence of decline
To be honest freund I believe it is as I said prior, no confidence/ maybe even a fear in his back 4 or 5, the keep changing/rotation isn't giving our GK a chance to get into a habit of play, understanding, simply know their individual pro's n cons.

Are there any ex-GK's on here who would understand/back that thinking.

As Greavsie alluded to.....Hugo dont save pens.
We have conceded 6 so far this season in the PL. Hugo has let 6 in, the third worst in the PL.
As a team at 6, we are 2 off the worst which is 8 .

yup
As Greavsie alluded to.....Hugo dont save pens.
We have conceded 6 so far this season in the PL. Hugo has let 6 in, the third worst in the PL.
As a team at 6, we are 2 off the worst which is 8 .

you love doing this. Penalty saves are not a metric to judge a keeper by.

Remember last time you raised this I pointed out before his save percentage would swing if he saved a couple, he did and then had highest save percentage in the league.

It's nonsense. Good pen takers score 95% that doesn't mean that the keeper is shit all those times they face a good pen.

yup

you love doing this. Penalty saves are not a metric to judge a keeper by.

Remember last time you raised this I pointed out before his save percentage would swing if he saved a couple, he did and then had highest save percentage in the league.

It's nonsense. Good pen takers score 95% that doesn't mean that the keeper is shit all those times they face a good pen.
I remember me and Nick had a bit of a bull and cow over that . I said that not saving a penalty wasn’t a howler . A goalkeeper is not expected to save a penalty .
Interestingly , I have just put up a bonus on the predictor thread for somebody to predict when he will save one !

I wasnt judging as a keeper generally, just the penalty element. I looked at two Hugo pen saves , one by Aguero and one by the arse striker. Both were shite pens, not hit hard or to the corners, one was a scuff.
So pen saves dont give the full picture either.
To confirm....I dont think pen saving is one of Hugo's fortes. Or distribution, or strength and commanding the area or positioning. And I think he is prone to over egging some saves for dramatic effect. If you tip one over the bar, why do you need to land on your arse in a crumpled heap on the deck. ?
I think he is a shite captain as well.
Apart from all this and more I have nothing against him and am not biased in any way.

I remember me and Nick had a bit of a bull and cow over that . I said that not saving a penalty wasn’t a howler . A goalkeeper is not expected to save a penalty .
Interestingly , I have just put up a bonus on the predictor thread for somebody to predict when he will save one !

The pen before last was a semi howler, he got to it and if hit his forearm and deflected up into his net, he was angry with himself.

Another semi howler today. Ended up on his arse again unable to react to second attempt. First attempt came off his leg and was a save but went straight back at Antonio.

I'm with NRD regarding Hugo and penalties. He is weak at saving them.

Gaz is crap but is a decent pen saver. He reads them better.

According to their official stats over the past 10 seasons, there have been 965 penalties awarded and 168 of them have been saved. This means that the chances of a goal keeper saving a penalty kick are about 17.4% (or 1 in every 5.7 penalties is saved).19 May 2020

There's an article from 2017 saying Hugo was 6th highest pen saver in the PL based on all time saves of (then) current keepers on 27%, we know he then went on to have his best season ever in terms of pen saves in 2018/19 when he topped the league.

According to their official stats over the past 10 seasons, there have been 965 penalties awarded and 168 of them have been saved. This means that the chances of a goal keeper saving a penalty kick are about 17.4% (or 1 in every 5.7 penalties is saved).19 May 2020

There's an article from 2017 saying Hugo was 6th highest pen saver in the PL based on all time saves of (then) current keepers on 27%, we know he then went on to have his best season ever in terms of pen saves in 2018/19 when he topped the league.

Hugo doesn't play well when his backline keeps changing. That has been proven on several occasions. He was at his best with Jan and Toby in front of him because he trusted them. He has great periods without those two but how can you be consistent when the whole team in front of him doesn't seem to give a naff?