Hugo's Howlers | Page 20 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

Got to log it. Poor tonight in all aspects, distribution as usual, one through his legs and communication decision making. I will wait for confirmation, should he have stayed on his line ?

Nick on an eternal anti Hugo crusade. That's probably the strongest bias on this board IMO.

Glad you admit it, that's not what you said here:

The thread title says it all and I didn't start the thread. It's a negative look at Hugos game. I don't need to admit anything, it's in the title and I contribute when appropriate. It's a Hugo thread, not an opportunity to have a pop at a poster thread.

Don't think the first was a howler. He should have done better but the shot had pace and was from close range.

Second was all down to Tripps. He is finished. Poch won't sell him though.

100% on both counts.

Any 1 on 1 with the keeper from 5 yards could never be counted as a 'howler', even from tight angles the attacker has an incredibly high chance of scoring.

Trippier is one of Poch's biggest mistakes, the lad came back all wrong from the WC. All the warning signs were there all season long, but we insisted to keep him as 1st choice.

Really nice finish from Tripps! FFS You literally can't make this shit up.

Like I said until we are mathmatically guaranteed to keep top 4...we are totally capable of screwing it all up all by ourselves. We don't need help from anyone.

I must be the only one that blames Lloris for that goal, Trippier was clearly running towards the ball with no real pressure, Lloris should have stayed on his line then Trippier could have either passed back or probably even turned with the ball, not sure why Lloris came sprinting out? Both at fault really but Lloris as much to blame. He's complete lost it, we need to get rid

I must be the only one that blames Lloris for that goal, Trippier was clearly running towards the ball with no real pressure, Lloris should have stayed on his line then Trippier could have either passed back or probably even turned with the ball, not sure why Lloris came sprinting out? Both at fault really but Lloris as much to blame. He's complete lost it, we need to get rid

Scotty, no arguing with you there, fault on both sides for sure. Though Tripps could have played the safe route and simply kicked the ball into the 10 row out of bounds and simply given up a throw and allowed our D time to regroup. (what I would have done if I saw Lloris coming out and ending up in no mans land) When all else fails as a defender....PLAY IT NAFFING SAFE.

Oh well hindsight 20/20, but it is painful to watch....two of our most error prone dudes duking it out for the dipshit trophy. Perfect storm

Hugo had no business running out for that ball.

Tripp may have shoulda looked, but this system of play is predicated on guys NOT leaving their zone of responsibility, which Hugo CLEARLY did. (<<Eric Dier's biggest issue)

Clusterfuck for sure, but the weight is on the Keeper in this one.

And no, you can't just give him a pass on Pedro's goal. Wasn't easy, but his tendency to get his feet stuck in a crouch rises again.

I say 1.75 howlers on the day.

The second goal was a total shit show but I'm more of the opinion that Trippier was the most at fault. Hugo stayed on his line and only came to collect when Trippier had yelled at him to come get it. Now, Hugo's mistake was that he listened to Trippier. Trippier should have done one of two things after calling for Hugo... wait for Hugo to claim now he is running out at speed, or kick it to another defender or at least out of play. Trippier blindly kicked it out of panic, thinking Willian was too close.

My biggest issue with Hugo has always been his winning mentality. He is a very quiet, very professional and likeable guy who falls under the 'leading by example' category but I have never thought he was the sort of captain to lead this team to glory. He doesnt command enough and his confidence always seems fragile.

The second goal was a total shit show but I'm more of the opinion that Trippier was the most at fault. Hugo stayed on his line and only came to collect when Trippier had yelled at him to come get it. Now, Hugo's mistake was that he listened to Trippier. Trippier should have done one of two things after calling for Hugo... wait for Hugo to claim now he is running out at speed, or kick it to another defender or at least out of play. Trippier blindly kicked it out of panic, thinking Willian was too close.

My biggest issue with Hugo has always been his winning mentality. He is a very quiet, very professional and likeable guy who falls under the 'leading by example' category but I have never thought he was the sort of captain to lead this team to glory. He doesnt command enough and his confidence always seems fragile.

HE won the World Cup?

watch again Scotty - Tripps shields the ball (even though at that point there's no one to shield it from) and calls Hugo to come get it. Hugo obliges, Tripps then sees Willian coming (after realising Tripps might be about to do something stupid after hearing the call) and in a blind panic neatly puts it around Hugo who still had time to come gather if Tripps had done nothing.

I agree with Matic that Hugo's only mistake was listening to Tripps, he should have just shouted back that he had time and to play it back to him.

First goal... Not a howler but he perhaps could have saved it.

A poor enough overall display that it's perhaps worth noting in this thread, but I'm not having either goal being primarily his fault.

I think it's time to start a Trippier's howlers thread. I said elsewhere selling him will be worth +10 points for us, I'm beginning to think that might be a conservative estimate.

The best CB in the league looks like a shadow of himself and lets Pedro get to the 5 yard line, Tripnaldo scores a blinder to continue his winning run from the WC, and we turn on Hugo.

For a keeper to lose confidence in his back line must be a devastating thing. Just seeing Trippier as his RB and the eternal personnel and formation changes must be driving him bonkers. I haven't seen any other top flight team make remotely as many changes to the back line as we do.

Just a reminder, in our last 4 wins - Leicester, Newcastle, Watford and Fulham - Lloris made world class saves and kept us from falling behind early on and gave us the points late in the game.

Hugo did his usual fall back on his arse on close encounters. From that angle I don't see what that achieve. It didn't go through his legs clean, it came off his heel so he got something on it miraculously. Hugo would expect to save that, it was etched all over his face. The second I don't know but ex pros blamed him. Don't forget some poor kicks out from Hugo and one straight to a Chav player who should have scored really. A very poor night for Hugo, there is no other way to see it.

Last edited:
The best CB in the league looks like a shadow of himself and lets Pedro get to the 5 yard line, Tripnaldo scores a blinder to continue his winning run from the WC, and we turn on Hugo.

For a keeper to lose confidence in his back line must be a devastating thing. Just seeing Trippier as his RB and the eternal personnel and formation changes must be driving him bonkers. I haven't seen any other top flight team make remotely as many changes to the back line as we do.

Just a reminder, in our last 4 wins - Leicester, Newcastle, Watford and Fulham - Lloris made world class saves and kept us from falling behind early on and gave us the points late in the game.

Maybe start Hero Hugo thread.?