Hugo's Howlers | Page 18 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

On another tack, I don't think that tackle was a red card. I think that ref naffed us from minute one.
If " naffed "= fucked ,then you are 100% correct . When the officials make up their own scenarios whereby one of the away players gets involved in a tussle and gets booked for it ( Dembo ) ,then Lamela suffers the same treatment and it's suddenly not even a foul , , ...and they make up their own interpretations of the laws of the game
,what chance did we have . My mate said to me ,you had the other team beaten but you will never ever beat that ref , he is playing to his own rules .................my mate supports the bindippers !

Hugo has been praised for his speed off his line to intercept through balls but a coach has suggested his staying on his line as a starting position could be the problem. Vorm has the perception of staying on his line also so perhaps this is how Lopez coaches them. If you are going to be a sweeper keeper just a yard or two out starting position may help.

David Pearce a keeper coach made the point. To be honest I have not lòoked at his positioning on his rush outs, could he advance forward slightly ?

Hugos positioning for free kicks has been questioned too. I thought Vorms free kick save was pretty decent but had he been a foot further away on his starting position who knows, how would Hugo have seen it, would his hand been as firm when parrying it away ?

Vorm took a little stick for the second goal , I will take a look , from what I remember the ball was deflected off of a scuffed shot pretty close in, then planted after luckily falling to the scorer.

In my opinon Vorm had little chance for the second goal. The deflection after the scuffed shot Vorm saw and it was going to his left, however the deflection was so slight it went straight to the scorer who went to Vorms right quite high. He reacted and leapt but was pretty much impossible that close in. The free kick he saved his starting position was just off centre to his left and he got across well with a firm hand. Hugo would probably have saved it from the same starting point if he chose it !!!

Hugo has been praised for his speed off his line to intercept through balls but a coach has suggested his staying on his line as a starting position could be the problem. Vorm has the perception of staying on his line also so perhaps this is how Lopez coaches them. If you are going to be a sweeper keeper just a yard or two out starting position may help.

David Pearce a keeper coach made the point. To be honest I have not lòoked at his positioning on his rush outs, could he advance forward slightly ?

Hugos positioning for free kicks has been questioned too. I thought Vorms free kick save was pretty decent but had he been a foot further away on his starting position who knows, how would Hugo have seen it, would his hand been as firm when parrying it away ?[/QUOTE

I started playing in goal when I was about nine, basically because I was shit outfield, soon found out I had great reflexes and a good eye, was a very good shotstopper, my hero was Pat Jennings so I modelled myself on him as much as I could. I played a lot in the army and before, but gave up playing when I left the army for about 11 years. In that time he game had changed a lot as had goalkeeping, never kept up with anything, just dropped football alltogether.
When I started playing again I was being critisised for staying on my line too much, I had to change my whole game, after a dodgy first season's play I got the hang of it, but I wasn't as fast as I used to be so I HAD to stand a yard or so off my line to compensate whereas before I could stand on my line and come out very quickly almost playing as a sweeper 'keeper.
I noticed this drop in speed but was still able to come out pretty quickly because I was a yard or so off my line already, I was once described as a continental 'keeper because I was already playing sweeper and coming out to claim balls in the penalty area instead of waiting for the shot. That is now seemingly with most 'keepers the norm, unless you play at Spurs where we seem to have gone back to the old days where you stay on your line rather than stand off it. I could see the need to change my game to compensate for getting older and had to to keep playing otherwise I would have been dropped or got rid of, Lloris doesn't seem to have seen this in himself that he is a touch slower due to age, maybe it is because he plays all the time he doesn't notice, a bit like not seeing yourself go bald until one day you catch your reflection and think who the fucks that old old git, lol, I hope that he very quickly catches sight of his "reflection" and thinks who the fuck is that slow old git coming out for the ball, Oh shit, it's ME. Then amends his game accordingly, otherwise he will carry on going downhill very rapidly and we will have to get rid of what was once a very good 'keeper. Not great like Pat was, just very good.

This maybe an appropriate time to point out that I noticed Butland changed agents last week and went out of his way to say that they represented some of tge best players and that he wanted to play at the top few clubs in the EPL. It felt weirdly public and very come get me. It made me wonder if we'd had feelers. Anyone hear anyting? For the record not my first choice but hes better than vorm and Gaza and right now ... near loris. Good number 2 imho
If we could get him at a reasonable cost I don't think anyone would object, maybe that kind of competition could get Hugo back to his best. At the moment he's not making marginal error of judgement he's making howlers, he's cost us in both CL games he's played. But in my experience when goalkeeper start making those type of howlers they rarely come back from them.

Walt, didn't Gazza travel with the squad? if not, then yes, Harry...lol
10..... Not sure if Gazza travelled or not ,but he wasn't named as a sub .
Vorm was the only keeper on the bench . Like most centr forwards ,Harry fancies himself as a keeper and I think he even played in goal for us , but for the life of me I can't remember the game ....In the back of my mind ,it was an away Europa league match . Can anybody help ?

Walt, it was against Asteras Tripoli in 2014, Harry also scored a hat trick in the same game !
Ta mate . Brilliant ,can't be many who can claim that . I vaguely remembered him going in goal ,can still see him putting the gloves on , but completely forgot about the hat trick . Unbelievable

Listening on to Hawksbee and Jacobs on the train an for once they made me laugh. Jacobs "goal keepers five a side mine: Kepa, Alisson, Pickford, Leno, Edison....You can have Loris, Hart, Chech"

Silly but itreally l highlights how modern Goal keeping has changed. Not long ago the last three were considered among the worlds best. We need to the next great ball playing keeper quick.

Last edited:
Listening on to Hawksbee and Jacobs on the train an for once they made me laugh. Jacobs "goal keepers five a side mine: Kepa, Alisson, Pickford, Leno, Edison....You can have Loris, Hart, Chech"

Silly but itreally l highlights how modern Goal keeping has changed. Not long ago the last three were considered among the worlds best. We need to the next great ball playing keeper quick.
Could we get Pickford?

I think we could, admittedly we would probably have to pay £60m. He has impressed me, if we could get £30m for Hugo I certainly would give it a go.
I would also have a serious go at getting AC Milan keeper.

I think we could, admittedly we would probably have to pay £60m. He has impressed me, if we could get £30m for Hugo I certainly would give it a go.
I would also have a serious go at getting AC Milan keeper.
I don't think Donnaruma is worth it either and he's distribution is also suspect

Donnaruma is absolute class, but will struggle as a sweeper keeper.

I'd take a gamble on Ralf Fährmann, looks like the real deal and won't cost the world.

Another one for the collection. Thankfully didn't cost us.

I can understand him losing a yard of pace at 32, but I don't understand why his decision making seems to be off in so many more games.