Hugo charged with drink driving! | Page 3 | Vital Football

Hugo charged with drink driving!

He was in court today 80, not ridiculous to be speaking about it now. Also a lot of people had claimed he was barely over the limit, which turns out to be untrue.

He admitted he'd been plied with drinks all night by wellwishers to celebrate him having won the world cup. He vomited in his car, and still thought it better to drive than call a cab.

I accept everyone makes mistakes, but the magnitude of his mistake was initially heavily downplayed and now the details are out I think it warrants further discussion.

I know drink driving can have a generational divide in terms of attitude, and I'm sure different countries view it differently too, but the details of this case have definitely made the situation worse in terms of my perspective of Hugo - up until this I thought he was an absolutely fantastic role model.

Don't they fine as a % of wages now ? Could be a record.

just googled

• Fine Band A: 50% of relevant weekly income (between 25 – 75% of relevant weekly income)
  • Fine Band B: 100% of relevant weekly income (75 – 125% of relevant weekly income)
  • Fine Band C: 150% of relevant weekly income (125 – 175% of relevant weekly income)
  • Fine Band D: 250% of relevant weekly income (200 – 300% of relevant weekly income)
  • Fine Band E: 400% of relevant weekly income (300 – 500% of relevant weekly income)
  • Fine Band F: 600% of relevant weekly income (500 – 700% of relevant weekly income)

Hugo's on 100k pw iirc so judge was pretty lenient in making it the lowest fine band.

Ant from Ant & Dec looks like the biggest fine at £86k.

Hugo said....I'm just like any other man, I have a private life.

I don't think so, you are a professional sportsman who has to look after his body, eat and drink properly and sleep properly. You are the club captain and a role model. Not just like any other man.

He went through a red light, was doing 45 in a 30 and swerving about and twice the limit. How is that a cat A. What do you have to do to get a cat F ?

He went through a red light, was doing 45 in a 30 and swerving about and twice the limit. How is that a cat A. What do you have to do to get a cat F ?

Forgot the going through a red light bit. I agree, his fine could have been much harsher. I'm guessing the leniency was due to him apologising early, pleading guilty, first time offence, good standing in community & etc

From what I read majority of cases are Cat B or C - I suppose that after Ant actually had an accident while inebriated and got fined 86k they couldn't go that high when Hugo didn't harm anyone/thing?

I read Rooney's lawyer tried to get him a big fine instead of community service on the basis that he already does charity work. I suppose for a footballer 100 hours community service is a more fitting punishment than a fine they can cover easily.

Seriously would take the Capt band away for a period of time. He not only endangered himself but others as well.

Yes everyone makes mistakes, and he can be Capt again, but he can re-earn it.

Where did you read 45mph?

Outlining the case, prosecutor Henry Fitch said: “Shortly before 2.20am, officers were on patrol in an unmarked vehicle when their attention was drawn to a Porsche – it was moving strangely and doing 15mph in a 30mph zone. It veered a number of times towards parked vehicles, nearly clipping them, before correcting itself. It then went through a red light.”
He said the officers saw there was a passenger in the front of the car and vomit nearby. Lloris was later “helped from the car”, and gave a sample containing 80 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit in England and Wales is 35mcg.

Still an idiot. I would rather he had a driving ban, same monetary fine PLUS a tonne of hours of community based service.

Like 80deg, it's a closed case for me in the same way it is with others I know who have done the same.

Personally I am disappointed in Hugo, I also understand the call for stripping him of the captaincy.
I think that is a call for Poch and his team mates to make, if he's still got the backing of his team mates I have no problem with him keeping it.
What I find hard to understand is why he didn't hire a driver for the night, whenever I went into town we my mates we hired a driver for the night.

So........if you get charged with impaired driving and it does not impact your ability to work do you think you should get demoted?

No?

Then get on with your own life.

Naff me.

Rooney was fined a few weeks wages by Everton and he wasn't even driving irratically.

Not sure why you're getting defensive 80. Feeling guilty as you bought him the booze?

So........if you get charged with impaired driving and it does not impact your ability to work do you think you should get demoted?

No?

Then get on with your own life.

Naff me.
With all due respect 80 losing the captaincy is not being demoted, there is no financial loss of income. The captaincy is first and foremost an honour, that person is meant to set an example for his team mates and represent the club.
Like I said, I have no problem with him keeping it. Up till this incident I believe he's done the club proud, and I believe going forward he will continue to do so.
He also strikes me as someone who is committed to the club and that goes a long way with me.

With all due respect 80 losing the captaincy is not being demoted, there is no financial loss of income. The captaincy is first and foremost an honour, that person is meant to set an example for his team mates and represent the club.
Like I said, I have no problem with him keeping it. Up till this incident I believe he's done the club proud, and I believe going forward he will continue to do so.
He also strikes me as someone who is committed to the club and that goes a long way with me.

TS - Isn't the monetary piece just one part of demotion though? In the world I live in, if you lost your title, your duties changed and you lost privileges then your employer would be demoting you back to an individual contributor. Normally that means they also need to offer you redundancy as an alternative option and even get you to sign a new contract accepting the new terms. Obviously, not the same in football as Lloris would have no right of reply as Poch can change captain whenever he wants. It would surely still amount to a demotion though if he lost the captaincy status along similar lines of duties, privileges etc.

Anyway, glad he didn't.

Top. I respect your viewpoint always. That’s mine and I’m not Sam polite as you that’s all. :thumbup: