Hughton sacked | Page 7 | Vital Football

Hughton sacked

I do agree, and this again was down to a total lack of transparency from the board about where we were with budget.

I work in Coventry and 2 blokes there are season tickets holders and they said they released a striker this summer who didn’t get many goals but was really good in their team and absolutely bullied defenders. They couldn’t believe they just let him go, and more importantly, can’t believe nobody’s take a punt as he’s still without a club.

The guys name is Maxime Biamou. I know nothing about him myself. But from the style we’ve insisted on playing, why not get him in until the end of the season as a cheap low risk that would likely add a bit for us upfront?

My point with him is, why have we been so one dimensional about players? ‘Oh he’s not available… so I guess that’s that…’ they’ve tried to be so stringent on their new policy to the point where they’ll actively ignore viable options in a desperate position.
And that’s the worry. They have set a budget limit and then gone for players they knew would break it. They have gone for players based on a strict set of criteria and ignored dozens of other players who could have done the job.

I would also be surprised if Hughton had much input on the players coming in which is ridiculous. You either support a manager properly or you get rid.

Again, I have no problem with the club wanting to set budget limits, bring in younger players and reduce the squad size. They are all admirable aims but we have done it at the expense of ensuring we had a squad willing and capable of competing.

Silva is shit, like many on here predicted. A proper panic buy that because of 3 positive reviews from West Hams versions of da FUQ, RedRoss and AdebolaCornflakes, people suddenly declared him to be a good signing.

He's not

His first shot wasn't promising, but he looks quick enough so maybe useful unless he's a Diakhabi all speed no ability.

He's one of our longest serving managers of recent times.

Since Calderwood left around Christmas 2008, ending his run of 136 matches, Hughton's tally of 53 games has only been surpassed convincingly by Billy Davis (126).
Also by Sabri (2 games more), Dougie (4 games more), and Billy again (6 games more).

Thus, he outlived:
Pemberton*
[BD]
McClaren
Kelly*
Cotterill
O'Driscoll
McLeish
Kelly*
[BD]
Brazil*
Pearce
Williams*
Montanier
Brazil*
Warburton
Brazil*
Karanka
Ireland*
O'Neill
[SL]

..despite being statistically worse than all the permanent managers listed bar McLeish and McClaren, who only had 20 games combined.
He hasn't been very well backed, but he had a fairly decent chance and, sadly, just couldn't deliver.

For all fine platitudes said for Chris Hughton, I don't want the nicest manager in League 1. We just can't wait to be hammered by Peterborough or Blackpool before we take action. Interesting that Gabriel thought Blackpool were a better bet than us. Such a depressing thought.

For all fine platitudes said for Chris Hughton, I don't want the nicest manager in League 1. We just can't wait to be hammered by Peterborough or Blackpool before we take action. Interesting that Gabriel thought Blackpool were a better bet than us. Such a depressing thought.

Blackpool probably is a better bet for him in terms of getting regular football.

If Forest felt he wasn't good enough and told him they wanted to sell him, why wouldn't he go to Blackpool?

There are many things to be concerned about with this club but I dont think Jordan Gabriel leaving for Blackpool is one of them.

I do agree, and this again was down to a total lack of transparency from the board about where we were with budget.

I work in Coventry and 2 blokes there are season tickets holders and they said they released a striker this summer who didn’t get many goals but was really good in their team and absolutely bullied defenders. They couldn’t believe they just let him go, and more importantly, can’t believe nobody’s take a punt as he’s still without a club.

The guys name is Maxime Biamou. I know nothing about him myself. But from the style we’ve insisted on playing, why not get him in until the end of the season as a cheap low risk that would likely add a bit for us upfront?

My point with him is, why have we been so one dimensional about players? ‘Oh he’s not available… so I guess that’s that…’ they’ve tried to be so stringent on their new policy to the point where they’ll actively ignore viable options in a desperate position.

Didn't Coventry sign three strikers over the summer? Gyokeres at 6 ft 2 sounds like the sort of bloke we need, and Waghorn would have been an improvement on Taylor. Gyokeres has 4 goals in 7 games, including one against us.

Didn't Coventry sign three strikers over the summer? Gyokeres at 6 ft 2 sounds like the sort of bloke we need, and Waghorn would have been an improvement on Taylor. Gyokeres has 4 goals in 7 games, including one against us.

To be honest, I would rather develop players like Brennan and Mighten then constantly pay overpriced driftwood looking for their last pay off. So long as we can stave off relegation, I can postpone my ambitions for a few years. The challenge would then be to keep them. Burnley, Sheffield United, Aston villa and Brentford appreciate our talent, even if we don't. 5, 10 year plan anyone ? If that is plan then let us in on the secret, because at the moment no plan is obvious.

Just imagine a bunch of hungry (Football wise, not starving) on £5k to £10k a week, playing for the shirt. The reward would not come now, but would come.

Last edited:
He's one of our longest serving managers of recent times.

Since Calderwood left around Christmas 2008, ending his run of 136 matches, Hughton's tally of 53 games has only been surpassed convincingly by Billy Davis (126).
Also by Sabri (2 games more), Dougie (4 games more), and Billy again (6 games more).

Thus, he outlived:
Pemberton*
[BD]
McClaren
Kelly*
Cotterill
O'Driscoll
McLeish
Kelly*
[BD]
Brazil*
Pearce
Williams*
Montanier
Brazil*
Warburton
Brazil*
Karanka
Ireland*
O'Neill
[SL]

..despite being statistically worse than all the permanent managers listed bar McLeish and McClaren, who only had 20 games combined.
He hasn't been very well backed, but he had a fairly decent chance and, sadly, just couldn't deliver.

Thought CH was really well backed last year, but this summer has been dismal, unless Drager, Ojeda, Ely and Silva turn out to be a lot better than we think. I don't know if anyone has the details, but it would be interesting to see what our league position was when each manager was sacked. I would be over the moon now if we were in seventh place (which is about where we were when O'Driscoll was sacked. Still think Lamouchi got a raw deal after a seventh place finish too.

Thought CH was really well backed last year, but this summer has been dismal, unless Drager, Ojeda, Ely and Silva turn out to be a lot better than we think. I don't know if anyone has the details, but dit would be interesting to see what our league position was when each manager was sacked. I would be over the moon now if we were in seventh place (which is about where we were when O'Driscoll was sacked. Still think Lamouchi got a raw deal after a seventh place finish too.

He didn’t
Might have finished 7th but we certainly weren’t a ‘7th placed team.’
We had been in relegation form for a significant part of the season.
Lamouchi got lucky at the start then got found out.

He didn’t
Might have finished 7th but we certainly weren’t a ‘7th placed team.’
We had been in relegation form for a significant part of the season.
Lamouchi got lucky at the start then got found out.
This doesn't make any sense.
He didn't 'get lucky' at the start. We were controlling games and beating teams properly. When we scored it looked like stuff we had trained to do. Compare that to goals under Hughton, they are all opposition mistakes or lucky shots from outside the box.
I agree he got found out.
However, we were a 7th placed team, because our results over the season put us in 7th place. The whole point of the league format is that everyone ends up where they deserve to end up. We played 46 games ffs.

This doesn't make any sense.
He didn't 'get lucky' at the start. We were controlling games and beating teams properly. When we scored it looked like stuff we had trained to do. Compare that to goals under Hughton, they are all opposition mistakes or lucky shots from outside the box.
I agree he got found out.
However, we were a 7th placed team, because our results over the season put us in 7th place. The whole point of the league format is that everyone ends up where they deserve to end up. We played 46 games ffs.

It felt like a season of two halves
The first half of the season before Jan it seemed like we were challenging for top three. Second half it felt like we were one of the worst teams in the division.
Our seventh place finish was largely down to points earned early doors,not after the Jan transfer window.
The point I’m trying to make is that people keep going on about how Lamouchi had us as an almost playoff team,technically of course that’s right but it didn’t feel that way.
If the the two halves of the season were the other way around and we started poorly but finished strong just missing out, I’d agree Lamouchi was harshly treated.
Good teams don’t get schooled at home by Sheffield Wednesday by halftime,or by Millwall to give 2 examples

It felt like a season of two halves
The first half of the season before Jan it seemed like we were challenging for top three. Second half it felt like we were one of the worst teams in the division.
Our seventh place finish was largely down to points earned early doors,not after the Jan transfer window.
The point I’m trying to make is that people keep going on about how Lamouchi had us as an almost playoff team,technically of course that’s right but it didn’t feel that way.
If the the two halves of the season were the other way around and we started poorly but finished strong just missing out, I’d agree Lamouchi was harshly treated.
Yeah it was the inability to adapt that got him.
I still think if anyone deserved an extra few games to try and turn it around, it was Lamouchi, not Hughton.
It still feels to me like Lamouchi was insanely unlucky at the end of the season. It was one stupid fucking mistake against Derby in the last minute that stopped us being able to go out in the playoff semis.
At least then we would have made the playoffs and the team could go into the next season with some confidence off the back of that.
I have to admit i really enjoyed the beginning of that season though. Some of our counter attacking was really good.