Huddersfield Town | Page 41 | Vital Football

Huddersfield Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are interested:
This is a podcast interview with Phil Hodgkinson from yesterday. He states the Cowleys did apply and weren't "headhunted" they were one of ninety one applications.
They were then on a shortlist of 4, which incidentally did not include any Germans or Nigel Adkins. The Cowleys then spent 8 hours on 2 separate occasions with the Chairman at Huddersfield, and David Webb (Head of Football) also went to watch them at MK Dons. Things were proceeding until Monday 2nd when they contacted Hodgkinson to say the timing wasn't right, he then worked on them during the week and they accepted his offer on the Friday before the Wycombe game, contracts were drawn up over the weekend. Seems like this has been rumbling under for some time, undeniably a distraction.
His comments form approx 1:57

Yes, they could have risked their long term reputation on a quick buck and an unnecessary early jump to higher status. This was always against their own principal of working their way up and achieving promotion through endeavour.
I don't begrudge them the move, but it doesn't sit right judging from their own previous attitude and standards.

The ‘didn’t want to die wondering’ comment is double edged, they will now never know if they could have taken us to the championship.

This is a podcast interview with Phil Hodgkinson from yesterday. He states the Cowleys did apply and weren't "headhunted" they were one of ninety one applications.
They were then on a shortlist of 4, which incidentally did not include any Germans or Nigel Adkins. The Cowleys then spent 8 hours on 2 separate occasions with the Chairman at Huddersfield, and David Webb (Head of Football) also went to watch them at MK Dons. Things were proceeding until Monday 2nd when they contacted Hodgkinson to say the timing wasn't right, he then worked on them during the week and they accepted his offer on the Friday before the Wycombe game, contracts were drawn up over the weekend. Seems like this has been rumbling under for some time, undeniably a distraction.
very interesting. different to most other itk accounts, and this one from the horse'''s mouth - so to speak.

That is very disappointing to hear that they applied for the job. Clearly they were looking to exit and felt their time was up at Lincoln City.

I haven't listened but if that is true I am deeply shocked! No wonder the team was as flat as pancake at Donny in the Trophy and at Wycombe. You just sensed being there that something was wrong.

I also just about think that. Although you'd assume, initially at least, a reduced chance given the point at which the new manager will be taking over and the fact we know the Cowleys were genuinely exceptional.

I'd go with "slim to none" for this season and would be entirely happy with mid-table.
we now know the cowleys were exceptional. no-one knew this when they took over on day one.

the same may apply to whoever the new person is. for instance, adkins took over from being the physio. did scummy fans think he was going to be exceptional at that point? they probably thought he was exceptional at the point he left to go to southampton. they probably think he is exceptional compared to where they are now.

if the new guy has ambition and drive he might start with just the high enthusiasm the cowleys started with three years ago. to follow on from the girlfriend analogy that is being used a lot... how do we know how to rank our ex, when we have not even had a few saturdays with the new girlfriend yet?

on a side issue... who compares intensity of training sessions? i have watched the cowley session at huddersfield, have others watched lots of club's training sessions, to be able to say this is particularly intense. or particularly inventive training? maybe our new guy will have even more intense sessions. and be even more inventive. ainsworth's team looked very well organised and very fit last weekend (in direct comparison with cowley's team).

maybe they just got to the stage that it was getting more difficult the raise the level of enthusiasm that they had, after three years of the same club, and needed the change that can bring that new level of enthusiasm. the same might apply to ainsworth and/or flynn

i still think these are very exceptional and interesting times. uti.

I think you’re kidding yourself if you think they’ll end up as managers of England or a top 4 club. No chance.

Not a "top 4" club as such as they rarely go for non foreign managers anymore. But West Ham a perfectly realistic target and likewise England (which ranks quite a bit below the jobs at those Champions League knob head clubs)

Status
Not open for further replies.