Huddersfield Town (v Sheff Weds) | Vital Football

Huddersfield Town (v Sheff Weds)

79imp

Apologies to anyone who is offended by 'reopening' discussion on the Cowleys and Huddersfield Town, but as they're live on TV later, I thought it inevitable that some discussion would follow before, during and after the game.

A few days ago, I may well have taken the 5-year old child with their hands over their eyes approach, but as I think others on here will feel, I'm genuinely interested to see how the Cowleys fare on their continuing 'journey' up English football.

Before the original Huddersfield thread got closed, I was planning to add a comment about the challenge that lies ahead for the brothers. One thing that was massively in their favour at Lincoln was the fact they came in with a completely blank sheet. They were able to straightaway put together the backroom staff they wanted, bring in their own players, and of course play a central role in how the club was restructured and developed off the pitch as well. At Huddersfield that is very much not the case, and they will need all the skills they developed as teachers (a job they also did incredibly well) to build relationships quickly (often with people they may not like), and in terms of their players and support staff, people they have had no influence whatsoever in bringing to the club. I guess this is what I find most interesting - can they transfer their skills to a 'bigger' club where they have to work in existing structures and build something that takes them to the next level (which I guess for them would be the West Ham job when Pelligrini leaves in a season or two)?

What cannot be argued is that the Championship is an extremely unforgiving league - it is not unusual for clubs relegated from the Premiership to struggle - Sunderland being the most obvious recent example. Therefore, parachute money may become largely irrelevant if they find themselves marooned in the relegation zone when the transfer window opens again. And whilst I know they largely put out a reserve team in the League Cup fixture, I didn't see anything from their squad which suggests they'd cope with the rough and tumble of the Championship - they certainly didn't cope with our much-changed team - we were very worthy winners on the night. The Cowleys need results quickly - 1 point from 6 games makes that obvious - and with no opportunity to bring in players for 3.5 months, they're going to need to hit the ground running.

For the record, I still can't decide if I want them to fail miserably and get relegated, or start pounding up the league table and prove to everyone just how lucky we were to have England's best young managers 'make their name' at our club. Think for today though I'll be supporting SWFC!

Up the Imps and apologies again to anyone who didn't want to see Huddersfield mentioned again (I feel the same way about new manager betting odds, so I do know where you're coming from!).

Just me rooting for Huddersfield then?

I wish them all the best, and I hope they do really well

In reality I think they “will” do really well, what we saw at Lincoln with the Cowleys wasn’t just decent management, it was exceptional.

They have the gift imo, I will not be surprised if they known as some of the top managers in the country.

People say Huddersfield are poor with poor players, that’s what we were right in the National League? They made Champions out of that shower of shite.

Not saying they will make Champions of Huddersfield this season, but they make players perform better than expected, they’ll do the same with Huddersfield, make a squad performing better than they should be.

If Huddersfield lose that will be 6 of the last 7 the Cowleys will have lost. Come on you Owls!
(They're still deserving of a statue though!)

Part of me still holds out hope that they'll fail spectacularly so we can reappoint them next season, as Bournemouth did after Eddie Howe's ill-fated spell at Burnley.

The disappointment still lingers with me and the way they left the club, having gone through a pre-season and left us with an unbalanced squad - not a good end as far as I'm concerned - but 'least said soonest mended'

We have to move on! We have a thread about Huddersfield vs Wednesday!!!!!!

Today I'll mostly be washing my hair, taking the kids to football, finishing off a Typhoon Ib, learning about cell structure in animals and plants, watching Peaky Blinders and reading about the German perspective of WWI in "Pandora's Box" ........and according to Mrs SB, I will be doing some gardening as well BUT I won't be watching an ex manager with his new team

Punted on the Owls and whilst still a little bitter over the style and timing of the Cowley exit, would love to see them carry on losing until the transfer window opens - not all about the Cowley’s - Huddersfield are one team I really dislike, probably right up there with Grimsby... worked in Sheffield for 10 years too, up the Owls!

I hope the pitch is watered to the point of being waterlogged or he won't be happy!
Was told yesterday he lost the plot at half time of the Southend game because it wasn't wet enough?
Was he losing the plot towards the end with us?
They've gone and left us with a fair few problems and tarnished their legacy imho .
We have to move on and welcome the new messiah to take us on.
The Cowleys knew they had to move on to match their ambitions and we need to as well.

Last edited:
Will be watching barnsley v bielsas leeds on the red button instead , but think monk will put the brothers in there place today