HSBC | Vital Football

HSBC

Juan Mourep

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/25/hsbc-moneybox_n_4664439.html

HSBC have been accused of quizzing customers withdrawing large sums on cash on what they want to spend it on - and demanding proof of what they will purchase.

Several customers told BBC Radio 4's MoneyBox programme that when they attempted to withdraw certain sums, between £5,000 and £10,000, they have been asked to provide proof of why they need the money.

Stephen Cotton told MoneyBox that he wanted to withdraw £7,000 from HSBC to pay a loan back from his mother.

"When we presented them with the withdrawal slip, they declined to give us the money because we could not provide them with a satisfactory explanation for what the money was for. They wanted a letter from the person involved," he said.

The BBC said numerous others had reported problems, including a man being asked to provided booking receipts for his holiday, and quotes from builders, before they could get cash.

Last week, a reader contacted the Daily Mail's This Is Money to complain about the policy. "HSBC will not let me take out anything over £1,000 cash over the counter. I gave them warning, but they say they must know what I will use it for - they want to see evidence of hotel bookings etc.

"In short, they refuse to give me my cash.

More at the link.

In short I don't care if they are now reviewing this policy, come Monday HSBC are losing this customer, they may get away with pushing governments around, but we are the lifeblood, no customers, no bank.

I tell you what, and I haven't got that sort of money, but if that bank dared to do that to me I would close my account there and then!! How bloody dare they do that! It's one thing to check ID, perfectly understandable, BUT they are merely holding the money for the person, what bloody business is it of there's what the customer spends the money on?

My boss banks with them, personally I would never have an account with them!

Always been with The Midland, now HSBC. Family generational thing going back 100 years. I won't change banks. I have never had any problem like that. Any problems I have had with them have always been sorted properly. That's how it is for me.

I personally always found it a good bank. Everyone is different. Bit shocked about these claims. I would like to hear what the bank has to say about that too. It would be interesting

kefkat - 25/1/2014 15:56

I won't change banks. I have never had any problem like that.

That's how it is for me.

Oh that's okay then, as long as they treat you alright that's all that matters, isn't it? :14:

Be fascinating to see what excuse they come up with for this?

Maybe they don't have enough to give out after the bonuses paid!

I'm with Santander, got a 123 account, must say I'm delighted. It's made me about £300 so far in cashback etc. HSBC/Midland always seemed soooo old fashioned to me. Horrible banks.

The excuse was that they are trying to cut down on money laundering, when most of that is for huge amounts and shuffled between banks, they are the biggest crooks of all.

Yup. Not their business though. I understand companies not taking cash, ie you can't buy a new car with cash, but that is down to the company not the banker.

As you say, the ones at the top of the banks are the biggest crooks.

The Fear - 25/1/2014 17:03

Be fascinating to see what excuse they come up with for this?

Maybe they don't have enough to give out after the bonuses paid!

I'm with Santander, got a 123 account, must say I'm delighted. It's made me about £300 so far in cashback etc. HSBC/Midland always seemed soooo old fashioned to me. Horrible banks.

My mate's granddad died and him and his sister has about 2 grand each, my mates sister went to her bank, can't remember who, but they were very helpful to her, you know said oh we can do this or you can set up a savings account etc. My mate took his half into his bank, HSBC just said oh just feed it into the machine, they couldn't give a flying turd!

I bank with them and they are crap, I am changing banks I have been in on a few occasions to speak to some and been told to make an appointment even when it's been empty, I also asked what benefits I get with my advanced account. When I pointed out that I am basically paying 12.99 a month for nothing I was told I could bank elsewhere.

They are all shit I just need to find one that's less shit

Have a look at the. 123 at Santander Dave, if you pay in ex amount you get cashback on stuff... Thinking about it, might not apply, more mortgages, phone bills etc I think. 2quid fee but I make about twenty a month in cashback and decent interest.

http://www.santander-products.co.uk/banking/media/123.html

Does look home related re cashback. Stacks up well if you pay all those bills. Depending on what £ you have in you can get up to 3% interest though! which is one of the market leaders percentage wise.

I dont get why anyone would have an account with these c**ts, proven money launderers for the Mexican cartels... Im sure other banks are into shady shit but its not as public as HSBCs dirty laundry...

Despite the very public scandal and apparent public admonishment, the banks have not changed and the same rapacious and spiv culture not only still exists but thrives with the full connivance of the government and the do-nothing regulators.

That is the real problem and not just the bonuses.

It is only a matter of time before another scandal emerges and we have to put up with another exhibition of crocodile tears and hand-wringing from government.

No one ever laughs at any point during a journey to any bank because it is always a disgusting and revolting experience when you get there.

People who work in banks are divided between the thieving scum in the back office and the lying, manipulative, spivs who never cease trying to missell their latest bogus financial product for a commission in the knowledge that they will always get away with it.

The Fear - 25/1/2014 19:59

CDX once again sitting on the fence.

For goodness sake mate, have an opinion!!

I try to have strong opinions J but in the end Im just too tolerant and dont want to offend anyone...

:40:

Lol CDX.

Agreed onmyheadfred.

Same as 'coming out' of the recession. No lessons will be learned, not by governments, not by financial institutions and dare I say it, not by the majority of the public.

Spending will go up, debt will go up, things will boom, people will forget and boom will become once more bust!!

Woop!!