HS2 bollox or bollox? | Page 2 | Vital Football

HS2 bollox or bollox?

Yes, I use it frequently unless I am lucky enough to get the Brussels train from Ebbsfleet.

The only issue for me is that unless you have a cheap advance ticket its f expensive (not an issue when going for work).

Also, can get to Paris quicker than I can get to Heathrow some days lol.

HS2 is about the only thing I agree with Boris on. The argument for it is rarely put properly. It’s main benefit is creating a completely new north/south route. All current routes are at full capacity. By taking existing north/south express trains off the existing network you free up capacity enabling local commuter services into the cities it will serve to be improved. Something, that, currently would be
impossible. Similar arguments about cost were levelled at the channel tunnel. Year on year it’s usage has increased. Door to door it’s now a realistic alternative to air travel to a number of European cities. I’m not sure on what basis Wayne thinks HS1 has not been a success. As well of the connectivity to Europe, it’s now one of the most popular commuter routes into London and has greatly improved journey times, particularly from East Kent.

I’m not sure on what basis Wayne thinks HS1 has not been a success. As well of the connectivity to Europe, it’s now one of the most popular commuter routes into London and has greatly improved journey times, particularly from East Kent.
HSI is not just about SE trains to St Pancras; it carries also Eurostar and freight. HS1 is operating well below prediction according to many reports.

The main issue as with many government projects is bad project management. UK Gov still gives out contracts to the same companies/consultancies that failed previously.
the Channel Tunnel was managed by giant petro/chem civil company Bechtel.

That’s not what he said. He actually said that it was all valid and all necessary.
Almost exactly what I said.

It's all the fault of those voting to leave.
You know, those who can think outside the box, rather than those who cry because they are asked to manage existing scenarios!
Shame Wayne has no potential to develop!

That’s not what he said. He actually said that it was all valid and all necessary.
Almost exactly what I said.
Yes but he has concerns that there is nothing defined for the HS lines north of Birmingham and on that basis connections between Manchester, Bradford and Leeds etc are a priority. Jeez I live there and it's in the press and local news daily.

Yes but he has concerns that there is nothing defined for the HS lines north of Birmingham and on that basis connections between Manchester, Bradford and Leeds etc are a priority. Jeez I live there and it's in the press and local news daily.

The two phases of the new high speed track project are:

• Phase 1 – from London to the West Midlands; construction started in 2017 and the first services are scheduled to begin between 2028 and 2031.
  • Phase 2 – from the West Midlands to Leeds and Manchester, scheduled for full completion between 2035 and 2040.

No point in building between Birmingham and Manchester / Leeds etc until the main line to Birmingham has been built. There are defined plans for connection to Manchester, Bradford and Leeds but these'll be phase two.

Where are the through trains from Cologne and Amsterdam etc
Through trains to Amsterdam are already operating. There used to be a change for immigration control in Lille but there are now passport checks in Amsterdam so it’s a non stop service. Through trains to Germany appear to have been scuppered for the time being by Brexit. However, travelling to Germany is easy. You just to have to change between two platforms at Brussels Midi to pick up the TGV/Thalys train for Liege, Aachen and Cologne. Leave at 7 am from Ebbsfleet arrive in Cologne by noon.

Through trains to Amsterdam are already operating. There used to be a change for immigration control in Lille but there are now passport checks in Amsterdam so it’s a non stop service. Through trains to Germany appear to have been scuppered for the time being by Brexit. However, travelling to Germany is easy. You just to have to change between two platforms at Brussels Midi to pick up the TGV/Thalys train for Liege, Aachen and Cologne. Leave at 7 am from Ebbsfleet arrive in Cologne by noon.
Nothing to do with Brexit but access charges and lack of capacity at St Pancras thanks to English heritage

Since both Cologne and Amsterdam are in foreign countries, I'm not sure why you think HS1 should be connected to those cities. Surely a lack of connection is a failure of France, German and the Netherlands?
UK access charges and lack of capacity at St Pancras

The two phases of the new high speed track project are:

• Phase 1 – from London to the West Midlands; construction started in 2017 and the first services are scheduled to begin between 2028 and 2031.
  • Phase 2 – from the West Midlands to Leeds and Manchester, scheduled for full completion between 2035 and 2040.

No point in building between Birmingham and Manchester / Leeds etc until the main line to Birmingham has been built. There are defined plans for connection to Manchester, Bradford and Leeds but these'll be phase two.
Thank you Sir Nigel Gresley

We are well aware of the proposal but the defined bit is only London to Birmingham. The cities of the north need connectivity long before that and the Mayors of those cities are pushing for it now regardless of lines from Birmingham. It's in our local papers and news everyday ffs. At the moment, there is no quick service from Manchester to Leeds/Bradford.