How would you react? | Page 2 | Vital Football

How would you react?

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
a) Accept the offer of help and accept that you still have things to learn about the job so that you can increase your productivity and thus reach targets?

kefkat - 27/3/2013 17:48

I wouldn't have taken/gone for the job in the first place. Quality first.

Why would you assume that having a productivity goal means that quality is down prioritised? We demand both with an expectation of no more than 8 customer complaints per 10,000 deliveries (it's a big company) as an average across the firm and a personal complaint level that should never exceed 2 complaints per 1000 deliveries made.

I work damn hard in my job, taking a personal pride in the results that I and my department achieve and I expect my employees to do the same. Anyone who doesn't is in the wrong job.

I would accept the extra training if its proven in the 40 years that targets can be met to achieve a realistic wage. The problem you have with some jobs where wage is based on productivity is that they can set the targets too high.

Green Tea - 29/3/2013 08:16

I would accept the extra training if its proven in the 40 years that targets can be met to achieve a realistic wage. The problem you have with some jobs where wage is based on productivity is that they can set the targets too high.

Oh absolutely but when I can point to 4 other people who have delivered to that rout in the last6 months and have achieved and even exceeded the targets then I find it hard to accept that the target is too high on this occasion.

If an experienced courier comes to me with the same concernes I do the same though, first offer more training. If they then still can't achieve targets and are working in the proscribed manner, making a genuine effort, it then changes a little from the new employee situation, we work with the union to reassess the targets for that particular route. Things are not set in stone but it is a rare person that achieves all targets after less than 3 weeks and as such I am not willing to let them dictate terms to me.