How will it be different? | Vital Football

How will it be different?

stokeimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
I know Happy Christmas has been said in another thread. But in what way will the Christmas period be different for everybody?

This Christmas period, Mrs S and I have decided (being vulnerable!!) that the pragmatic thing to do is to keep ourselves to ourselves, so this is the first time in our lives that it won’t be spent with family, whether that be parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, or with our lads and subsequently grandchildren. Mrs S has a big plan in place to have a big “Christmas” get together when lock downs are over and we’ve been vaccinated

It will also be the first Christmas that we won’t have a home cooked Christmas dinner. We’ve decided to “treat” ourselves and we’re having a five course takeaway Christmas meal from the restaurant we used during both lockdowns – Mrs S will be collecting it this afternoon (its chilled, for putting in the oven tomorrow); I have no doubt the quality will be as good as previous meals, but Mrs S is going to miss cooking the dinner – she says it’s the smell of it cooking she likes. However, it won’t stop her having her Christmas morning Prosecco/bucks fizz, and I’ve got a couple of boxes of real ale from our local microbrewery

Boxing day, obviously we miss any chance of going out to a footy match. We can still get out for a good walk with the dog, though!

Same here Stoke. Just myself and Mrs E for Chrismas. A series of family get togethers when things improve hopefully. Currently enjoying a Baileys coffee whilst Mrs E prepares her homemade cranberry sauce and stuffing for tomorrow. I’ll no doubt be assisting with the veg prep in the morning. Assortment of fine ales and wine in the fridge and cava I think with the turkey. A day chillin in front of the tv ahead and probably a walk followed by I follow on Boxing Day UTI

Christmas Day for me will actually be the same as the last few in so much as I just spend it at home with the missus and the lads. It's actually really nice as I did have a job which necessitated working on that day more often than not up to a couple of years ago so just relaxing at home with the immediate family is great.

The main change has been getting back to Lincoln either immediately before or just after the 25th. Usually that weekend back always seemed to coincide with a home game down at Sincil Bank ( what a piece of good fortune!!!) and my sister who lives up north also arranged to get down for the same time. This year though we've decided it's just too much of a risk for our parents who are in their 70's so in that vulnerable group. Once they are vaccinated though we'll get together again.

Normally on Boxing Day I have to endure a Christmas get together with the wife's extended family of cousins which isn't taking place this year. So I'll be streaming the Burton game, beer in hand, on Boxing Day instead.

Every cloud and all that..........

All the very best to all and yours on here

Last edited:
Being London-dwelling, I'm in Tier 4 and thus cannot see my Mum and Dad for Christmas for the first time in my life. Mr Hither and I would normally be there by now and it feels very strange and unsettling.

Just the two of us tomorrow, traditional turkey lunch with fizz. Went to the local French bakery yesterday and bought the most delicious looking praline and rum Yule log for Christmas night, so an additional treat! Lots of Zoom calls to friends and Mr Hither's family scheduled......

Being London-dwelling, I'm in Tier 4 and thus cannot see my Mum and Dad for Christmas for the first time in my life. Mr Hither and I would normally be there by now and it feels very strange and unsettling.

Just the two of us tomorrow, traditional turkey lunch with fizz. Went to the local French bakery yesterday and bought the most delicious looking praline and rum Yule log for Christmas night, so an additional treat! Lots of Zoom calls to friends and Mr Hither's family scheduled......

Must be tough for you in the Tier 4 lockdown. Hope you get on ok and can soon get back to Lincoln to see family. Main thing is to stay safe

That Yule log sounds good!

For us it will be the first time we don't see either set of parents due to them being vulnerable, though we may be meeting for a socially distanced walk with my family next week, weather permitting. It's just us and the pets tomorrow with our different Christmas dinners (the wife being vegetarian and all). We aren't going crazy with it and are just going to do what we fancy, have a few drinks and maybe an online video call with my folks in the evening. I won't be able to indulge too heavily though as I'm back at work on Saturday.

Mrs N. and I have have booked a cottage in County Durham and it has snowed here today, so looking like a white Christmas for us.

We're Zooming our son and partner tonight and doing an Xmas quiz and reading Xmas ghost stories we've written to each other.

Traditional Xmas meal tomorrow and more zooming with my Mum and grand-kids.

Much booze.

Mrs N. and I have have booked a cottage in County Durham and it has snowed here today, so looking like a white Christmas for us.

We're Zooming our son and partner tonight and doing an Xmas quiz and reading Xmas ghost stories we've written to each other.

Traditional Xmas meal tomorrow and more zooming with my Mum and grand-kids.

Much booze.
Nice move Dominic!

Eldest son was coming oop North from London to stay with us for a few days and then we were travelling down together to our youngest son for Christmas dinner. He hasn't seen us or four months, or his Grandparents for the last six.

Without Covid a very very difficult year and with Covid unimaginable. Good days and bad days but always try to put some positive spin on things. Around this time last year we stayed at the Borussia Hotel which was the last of the good times where family members last met. Tomorrow we’ll have chips and Zuurvlees for our Christmas dinner.

Sending love and kindness to all.

Without wanting to put a downer on things.
This will be my first without my wife of 18 years. As GermanImp said, Covid has just made a very bad year worse.
I'm spending the day with my dad, who I've not seen for sometime. My brothers missus has cooked us a full Christmas dinner, bless her heart. We'll sink a few beers, and maybe a whiskey or 2 to finish the day. I'll head back to Yorkshire, early Saturday, to continue my missionary work in trying to civilise the area.
Hope everyone has as good a time as possible tomorrow, and that we all get a much better 2021. Keep safe and well everyone.

This will be my first without my wife of 18 years. As GermanImp said, Covid has just made a very bad year worse.
I'm spending the day with my dad, who I've not seen for sometime. My brothers missus has cooked us a full Christmas dinner, bless her heart. We'll sink a few beers, and maybe a whiskey or 2 to finish the day. I'll head back to Yorkshire, early Saturday, to continue my missionary work in trying to civilise the area.
Hope everyone has as good a time as possible tomorrow, and that we all get a much better 2021. Keep safe and well everyone.
I can't imagine how hard that must be for you mate. Thinking of you and hope your family bring some comfort in what can be a difficult time. All the best.

Best wishes Plumbob.

Hope that goes ok for you, best of luck.

Scaled down, 3 of us in a support bubble - Mrs CI, her Mum, 87 and sinking faster with dementia throughout the year, "wait for a better Christmas" is not an option. Just talking through dinner prep tomorrow brings home how its scaled down in the last week.

1 son and partner who should have been with us are stuck in tier 4, other son who we would have picked up in Manchester is planning a socially distanced day visit tomorrow while his partner does the traditional 'no family' doctors thing of being on shift - we all know the rules and consequences and risk assess accordingly.

Hope everyone can make the best of the hands we've been dealt, Merry Christmas

I can't imagine what that is like mate, my sympathies...

Thanks all. Much appreciated.
Don't forget free tea (and limited parking😆) at mine when we visit Oakwell next season!
Again, have fun and stay well.