How to beat Man City - CL -Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City FC (The Sky Blues) | Page 13 | Vital Football

How to beat Man City - CL -Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City FC (The Sky Blues)

My grandson found me a feed for the game, so enjoyed it. We matched them and defended well. Hugo was a brick! Justice too in the light of it not being a penalty. Important that we stopped any away goal. We need to push on from this.... any news on Kane? I think we have some great players, Winks for me often looks just amazing. We have some strong players too. Sissoko is ace. Sanchez is brilliant.

Not when everything has to be about him and his goals to the detriment of the team.

The whole thing has got a bit unhealthy IMO , and once again the shackles seem to come off some players when he's not around.

Just my opinion of course.
It is not fair to him to try to say everything is about him. He didnt ask for that 'Harry Kane team' acknowledgement. We hv to ask ourselves, without his consistent 20+ to 30 goals a season for last 4 seasons, where would Spurs be. And for past few seasons he has reinvented himself to b quite the number 10 with his range of passing.
I wish him a speedy recovery. We need him, his goals and consistent passion. He is truly one of our own.

well done poch, thought he was gonna go 4-3-1-2 and leave us exposed on the flanks and channels but he set us up in a 4-4-1-1 and it worked really well defensively. We were compact for most of it and eriksen on the left to play the left to right switch of play worked nicely. abit more composure and quality in the final 3rd and we could of scored earlier than we did. kane's injury aside this was a great night and we have to have belief in the return leg that we can do it, coys!!!!

Bring us home Sonny, bring us home!! No real surprise with Kane going down, happens every year. Like many I actually think we respond well when he is out...and I think we will finish strong now.

Hate saying this because I love Kane...but right now Sonny is the dude with the hot hand and I say give it to the dude with the hot hand and we will ride that shit home.

And honestly I think we play a bit better and free on the attack when Kane is not up top. MP really needs to figure that shit out at some point.

Bring us home Sonny, bring us home!! No real surprise with Kane going down, happens every year. Like many I actually think we respond well when he is out...and I think we will finish strong now.

Hate saying this because I love Kane...but right now Sonny is the dude with the hot hand and I say give it to the dude with the hot hand and we will ride that shit home.

And honestly I think we play a bit better and free on the attack when Kane is not up top. MP really needs to figure that shit out at some point.
I agree with you, we won 5/7 with Kane out last time. No matter how good Kane is, he stifles Sonny’s freedom to get in on goal, FACT.
The only concern is leaving a whole on the bench!

...in answer to the thread title, I’d say part of how we beat them was the ref giving most 50/50’s in our favour.You never see that in the Prem! That’s not to take anything away from the whole team performance. I just never felt as though we would lose last night. Everyone did their job resolutely. Even Eriksen had a decent game despite hitting the one man wall on one occasion!

We played pretty well all over the pitch. But City didn't. Their team selection, tactics and late subs were puzzling. Walker and Aguero had particularly bad games and they were both injury returnees.

Pep got it spectacularly wrong on many counts. That's not to take away from our performance although if our finishing was better the tie would be over.

A lot of praise is heaped on City but last night suggested the quadruple pressure is telling both on the players and coach.

We played pretty well all over the pitch. But City didn't. Their team selection, tactics and late subs were puzzling. Walker and Aguero had particularly bad games and they were both injury returnees.

Pep got it spectacularly wrong on many counts. That's not to take away from our performance although if our finishing was better the tie would be over.

A lot of praise is heaped on City but last night suggested the quadruple pressure is telling both on the players and coach.

Pep made a blunder in last year's CL tie against Liverpool, not sure what goes through is head in money time.

I think people are under estimating the difference it makes having a free week to prepare, a couple of times this season we've had midweek games and then played I think Chelsea. I recall us steam rolling them in league, and they did the same to us at their place. When we played them at their place they had a free week and looked much fresher than us.

I think people are under estimating the difference it makes having a free week to prepare, a couple of times this season we've had midweek games and then played I think Chelsea. I recall us steam rolling them in league, and they did the same to us at their place. When we played them at their place they had a free week and looked much fresher than us.

With yet more injuries to put up with Poch really has to carefully manage our limited resources till the end of the season.

Our remaining fixtures are

Sat 13/4 Huddersfield
Wed 17/4 City (cl)
Sat 20/4 City
Tue 23/4 Brighton
Sat 27/4 W.Ham
Mon 6/5 Bournemouth
Sun 12/5 Everton

The next 5 games are really crammed up and I hope Poch doesn't expect Sonny, Moura, Eriksen and Sissoko to play every minute of all of them.

Controversial I know, but I would be tempted to rest all our big hitters for the away PL game at City, we'll get nothing more than likely, and jeopardize our chances of winning the other PL games if we just run our few remaining players into the ground.

Any thoughts ?

Wonderful night for Spurs fans but if Poch had just one of Jesus,DeBruyne or Sane to bring on we would have scored more goals & sealed the tie.I think if we let Toby & Eriksen go we will have to spend mega bucks to get anyone approaching their ability.Give em the money Daniel ,you can afford to now with the profits pouring in to the club.Son looks like a dog let off it's leash when Kane is not on the pitch.Sonny will help save our season.Rose,Sissoko,Son,Eriksen & Toby plus the crowd got us through last night.

Apart from Citeh away we could & should win all the remaining league fixtures & seal our place in the top 4.Thrilled that I've got tickets for the Brighton game ,just need to work out the best way to get there from Brighton as I'm not very mobile these days.Any suggestions ?

With yet more injuries to put up with Poch really has to carefully manage our limited resources till the end of the season.

Sat 13/4 Huddersfield
Wed 17/4 City (cl)
Sat 20/4 City
Tue 23/4 Brighton
Sat 27/4 W.Ham
Mon 6/5 Bournemouth
Sun 12/5 Everton

The next 5 games are really crammed up and I hope Poch doesn't expect Sonny, Moura, Eriksen and Sissoko to play every minute of all of them.

Controversial I know, but I would be tempted to rest all our big hitters for the away PL game at City, we'll get nothing more than likely, and jeopardize our chances of winning the other PL games if we just run our few remaining players into the ground.

Any thoughts ?
It’s a thought but the problem is after our big hitters who is there to bring in? Given our league collapse we cannot afford not to try for every point imo, including City away, and perhaps it’s the time of the season to light physical training sessions ( if the players are not fit by now they never will be) and concentrate on tactics and mental strength.

Rotating players within the games is as much as we can afford I think. The club has brought this situation on themselves and unfortunately the only solution is for the players to man up and give everything every game.

Sat 13/4 Huddersfield
Wed 17/4 City (cl)
Sat 20/4 City
Tue 23/4 Brighton
Sat 27/4 W.Ham
Mon 6/5 Bournemouth
Sun 12/5 Everton

Any thoughts ?
I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, having said that for £8m a year I think I might. I was looking at this over the weekend, looking at Chelski and M.U. fixtures and I figured we would make top 4 if we win 5 out of our remaining 6 games.
Chelski have to play both Liverpool and M.U. away from home, the most I believe they will pick up is 10pts putting them on 76pts
M.U. Have to play Everton away and Citeh and Chelski at home, I can't see them picking up more than 13pts out of a possible 18pts. That puts them on 74pts
Le Arse play Watford, Wolves and Leicester away. I see one win and two draws as the best they can hope for, meaning the 14pts (assuming they all their other games) giving them a total 67pts we have 4 games at home and two away, lose to citeh and win all our remaining games 15pts gives us 69pts and 3rd spot.
So resting players against Citeh may not be a bad thing.

Llorente will be shocked to see that he will be called on to replace Harry for the rest of the season.Just when he was putting his feet up & dreaming of retirement.

Thinking about the game again it highlights for me how different people have different perceptions on what happens during a game. For instance I have read pundits saying Harry Winks was outstanding and I forgot he was even on the pitch. Ferdinand said Eriksen was brilliant...I thought his passing, corners and free kicks were shocking for all the game until one reasonable pass to Son which was difficult for the lad to control but he turned it into a goal.

I didn’t see any mention of the all out physical assault on Kane by the City defenders, including several elbows @nd hair pulling which was a feature of a lot of their tackling all over the pitch....the dark arts that Poch refers to.

And I am sick to death of ex-pro commentators saying it is the right thing to do to foul another player deliberately to stop them gaining an advantage...such fouls should be red cards wherever they are committed on the pitch.

Overall, was the game last night a Poch tactical master class or was it Pep too scared to let his team play their natural game. Wouldn’t we have put Sane, the other Silva and DeBryne in the team and gone for it to try and get 2 or 3 goals away from home and then test players for an easy home game?

I guess what I don’t see makes for the debates on here and elsewhere.

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision, having said that for £8m a year I think I might. I was looking at this over the weekend, looking at Chelski and M.U. fixtures and I figured we would make top 4 if we win 5 out of our remaining 6 games.
Chelski have to play both Liverpool and M.U. away from home, the most I believe they will pick up is 10pts putting them on 76pts
M.U. Have to play Everton away and Citeh and Chelski at home, I can't see them picking up more than 13pts out of a possible 18pts. That puts them on 74pts
Le Arse play Watford, Wolves and Leicester away. I see one win and two draws as the best they can hope for, meaning the 14pts (assuming they all their other games) giving them a total 67pts we have 4 games at home and two away, lose to citeh and win all our remaining games 15pts gives us 69pts and 3rd spot.
So resting players against Citeh may not be a bad thing.
If Chelsea have 76, Utd 74 and us 69 don’t we finish 5th, or am I missing something?

Thinking about the game again it highlights for me how different people have different perceptions on what happens during a game. For instance I have read pundits saying Harry Winks was outstanding and I forgot he was even on the pitch. Ferdinand said Eriksen was brilliant...I thought his passing, corners and free kicks were shocking for all the game until one reasonable pass to Son which was difficult for the lad to control but he turned it into a goal.

I didn’t see any mention of the all out physical assault on Kane by the City defenders, including several elbows @nd hair pulling which was a feature of a lot of their tackling all over the pitch....the dark arts that Poch refers to.

And I am sick to death of ex-pro commentators saying it is the right thing to do to foul another player deliberately to stop them gaining an advantage...such fouls should be red cards wherever they are committed on the pitch.

Overall, was the game last night a Poch tactical master class or was it Pep too scared to let his team play their natural game. Wouldn’t we have put Sane, the other Silva and DeBryne in the team and gone for it to try and get 2 or 3 goals away from home and then test players for an easy home game?

I guess what I don’t see makes for the debates on here and elsewhere.
I thought Winks had a good game, he snuffed out a lot of Citeh attacking play. I agree about Eriksen corners as they drive me bonkers, why he is still taking them with Tripps on the pitch I don't know.
Sissoko was absolutely awesome, he's getting better and better.