How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 19 | Vital Football

How to beat City...CL 2nd Leg - Manchester United FC (The Sky Blues) vs Tottenham Hotspur

Son not being available for the first leg of the semi is going to be a massive problem for us; it leaves us with Llorente - Poch will have to work his magic on him to be a bit more clinical.

Son's absence will put greater focus on Alli and Eriksen, who are well below the levels of their team mate. Llorente is largely a bit part player. Alli and Eriksen are under-performing regulars who get the nod no matter what, I'll accept nothing less than both of them stepping up against Ajax.

Son's absence will put greater focus on Alli and Eriksen, who are well below the levels of their team mate. Llorente is largely a bit part player. Alli and Eriksen are under-performing regulars who get the nod no matter what, I'll accept nothing less than both of them stepping up against Ajax.

Agreed, both will need to show a hell of a lot more. Eriksen was driving me nuts for much of last night, but in fairness I thought Alli dug in when he was forced to drop back into Midfield and play a different role.

Hope you've not written off Moura for not mentioning him! Just have to find a better way of involving him. I agree though, if Eriksen and Alli are the current low contributors. Get them to step up and Moura's contribution should follow.

Hope you've not written off Moura for not mentioning him! Just have to find a better way of involving him. I agree though, if Eriksen and Alli are the current low contributors. Get them to step up and Moura's contribution should follow.

No, I'm not writing Lucas off, he falls into the same reduced opportunity role as Llorente. Alli and Eriksen owe the club, Poch and us fans a performance or three.

I couldn't post last night,I was speecheless, what a brilliant game, a credit to the team and manager,a real roller coaster, from screaming at the TV shouting "Bottlers" to calling for llorente to be named player of the season,it's never an easy ride but that's why we love Spurs,not good for the blood pressure though. Tottenham Hotspur you are a hard mistress.

Son not being available for the first leg of the semi is going to be a massive problem for us; it leaves us with Llorente - Poch will have to work his magic on him to be a bit more clinical.

He scored, I know.

But last night showed why he can’t start.

He held very little up and wasn’t suited at all

He scored, I know.

But last night showed why he can’t start.

He held very little up and wasn’t suited at all

I see we have little choice but to try and adjust our game around him. Starting Saturday, other than that we might as well try Parrot up top and we aren't going to do that!!

I can hear the ghost of Harry... "barebones, barebones, woe is me, barbones..'

Last edited:
Un-be-freakin-lieveable!! When that would-be Sterling hat-trick goal went in off of Lloris's outstretched boot, I jumped up as if stabbed, but then felt an immediate calm, the thought going through my head at the time was, it was messy, but we gave it our best shot...I walked into another room and heard, from the TV that there's a VAR ruling. I thought "what!" as I legged it back into the living room just in time to see the ref chalk the goal off the scoreboard...WTF! Even the Spurs fans were stunned and not yet fully into celebrating..what a turn of events. I immediately felt vindication from the non-goal call when United's Roy Carroll scooped Pedro Mendes' audacious attempt from the near the half-way line that clearly went in (you all have no idea how much that hurt me that day...I think I can finally lay that incident to rest! (Would have been better if it was against United mind you).

By the way, did the ref give Sissoko a yellow card beause he refused to be stretchered off? If not that, then why did he get one?

I watched Ajax-Juve...those guys are absolutely fearless and have nothing to lose...this is going to be no cakewalk! Injuries and yellow cards will not help our cause.

Come On You Spurs!!!
He got booked for walking off the pitch in the opposite direction the ref told him to. He was told to take the shortest route but ignored that and walked across the pitch in what was the best route for his injury . I.E not walking all around the outside of the pitch to get to the dressing rooms .
The card is meaningless anyway because it has now been wiped off before the semi final. This has caused the confusion with Sonny’s ban , because he has “ earned “ two yellows in the knockout stages which results in a one match ban in the next tie . Apparently Sonny was totally unaware of this until well after the game finished . Shame for him and us

Lucas was largely deployed in a wide defensive role for most of the game as was Llorente when he came on. I guess the plan was to choose a good moment to break and lump it to Llorente to hold and pass to runners from central MF which he did once or twice, but he was clearly knackered towards the end from all the running he had to do in the MF role.

Both Son and Lucas were playing in similar roles after the initial goals and we had no real threat through the middle as Alli and Eriksen kept appearing there but had no pace.

From my perspective we were lucky to survive because we ceded too much space in our own half of the pitch and let them keep possession and keep running at us but never had the energy to break at pace when we did win the ball. We don’t have a cohesive defensive unit at the best of times but with Wanyama off the pace and Sissoko injured and Trippiervwatching the game pass him by it was just a matter of time before they scored the 4th goal, and but for VAR a winner.

Their defence is as bad, if not worse than ours, but we only saw that in glimpses when we dared to attack it.

Having said all that everyone gave their all in the second half but we did look rudderless. Still, great, great result.

He got booked for walking off the pitch in the opposite direction the ref told him to. He was told to take the shortest route but ignored that and walked across the pitch in what was the best route for his injury . I.E not walking all around the outside of the pitch to get to the dressing rooms .
The card is meaningless anyway because it has now been wiped off before the semi final. This has caused the confusion with Sonny’s ban , because he has “ earned “ two yellows in the knockout stages which results in a one match ban in the next tie . Apparently Sonny was totally unaware of this until well after the game finished . Shame for him and us

It's a great shame, even worse in a way as Sonny is hardly a tough tackler who's always walking the edge.

It's a great shame, even worse in a way as Sonny is hardly a tough tackler who's always walking the edge.
I wouldn’t mind betting Sonny doesn’t get booked twice in a season in the PL. being booked twice in the CL ( did you know our stadium is the only place in London you can see this) is bizarre

I see we have little choice but to try and adjust our game around him. Starting Saturday, other than that we might as well try Parrot up top and we aren't going to do that!!

I can hear the ghost of Harry... "barebones, barebones, woe is me, barbones..'
There is this guy called Parrot