How Ollie has managed Shaw... | Vital Football

How Ollie has managed Shaw...

Spursex

Alert Team
Spot the difference.....

Luke Shaw compares playing under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Jose Mourinho at Manchester United
The Man Utd left-back has enjoyed a stellar season at Old Trafford under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

By
Dominic Booth
  • 10:37, 23 MAR 2021
Sport
Luke Shaw has enjoyed a superb Manchester United season (Image: 2021 Manchester United FC)

Luke Shaw admitted he has matured at Manchester United with the help of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's man-management.

The United left-back has enjoyed a brilliant individual campaign, putting in a string of consistent displays and earning a deserved recall to the England squad this week.

And in a wide-ranging interview with Sky Sports Shaw, 25, explained the difference Solskjaer has made to his personal form and the United team as a whole. The Norwegian is on course to lead United to a second-place finish in the Premier League, while they are still competing to win the Europa League.

For Shaw, Solskjaer's tenure has prompted a dramatic turnaround, following a difficult spell for the former Southampton man under previous manager Jose Mourinho.

"I don't want to come across like I was a little kid who could not deal with being put under pressure," Shaw said about his struggles under Mourinho. "Because at a big club like Manchester United you are always going to be under pressure and under the spotlight. That makes you mentally stronger.

"But I had no confidence at that time. I was losing my belief. I think that is what changed with Ole. He managed me right and I got my confidence back and I am really enjoying it at the moment.

"Enjoyment and confidence. For me, they are the two biggest things you need on the pitch. You need that belief in your ability to perform at the highest level. I feel I have that now.

"His man-management is second to none. The way he conducts himself in terms of how he speaks to the players, it gets the best out of them. You can see that. He deals with situations perfectly in terms of what is needed, especially at a big club like Manchester United.

"He takes the pressure off the lads and takes it all himself. Sometimes it is not fair because we are the ones on the pitch and we need to take our fair share too. For me, especially, from what I had before Ole came in, it is a total difference. It has pushed me to a new level."

Shaw also made an admission about winning the United player of the year prize in 2018/19. He was handed the Sir Matt Busby award that summer but believes his current form by far eclipses what he achieved two years ago. Shaw and Bruno Fernandes are likely to be the main contenders for this season's award.

"I was nowhere near my best then. If I am honest, it was quite a poor season from everyone," he added.

"Maybe I was just one of the ones who stood out a little bit more but I was nothing special.

"Definitely now is the best period I have had. I have managed to sustain a run of games and keep playing. I am enjoying it and I think that is the most important thing that I wanted to get back, that enjoyment of football. Getting back to doing what I enjoy doing."

I believe Luke Shaw is a great professional. He has mostly resisted the temptation to have a public dig at Jose and always said that he used that experience as an excuse to get stronger. I'm glad to see him back in the England squad and see no reason why he couldn't win that shirt from Chilwell.

As for Jose, he should know that "using my brain from the touchline and his body on the pitch" type language could never have helped Luke. It was just cleansing his own ego. Then playing the hapless Ashley Young over him out of position at LB is yet another example of Jose's aversion to playing talented youngsters.

I believe Luke Shaw is a great professional. He has mostly resisted the temptation to have a public dig at Jose and always said that he used that experience as an excuse to get stronger. I'm glad to see him back in the England squad and see no reason why he couldn't win that shirt from Chilwell.

As for Jose, he should know that "using my brain from the touchline and his body on the pitch" type language could never have helped Luke. It was just cleansing his own ego. Then playing the hapless Ashley Young over him out of position at LB is yet another example of Jose's aversion to playing talented youngsters.

But of course Jose who has only played at pub level wanted to show what a genius he was.....

Know matter how good of a player you are if your confidence is taken away from you then you really suffer. Not being handled right by your manager is one of the worse things in football. Being injured is bad but there you know you can't play but being fit and seemingly not wanted by your manager must be awful. Let alone having your manager criticise you In public.

Know matter how good of a player you are if your confidence is taken away from you then you really suffer. Not being handled right by your manager is one of the worse things in football. Being injured is bad but there you know you can't play but being fit and seemingly not wanted by your manager must be awful. Let alone having your manager criticise you In public.

As a fan, you're not allowed to think like that, high-profile managers like Jose should be allowed to humiliate you in public and of course, use you for distraction with the media., and also lie about it in private. Loyalty is a two-way street, as is respect, something Jose and his methods don't subscribe to.

But God help you if you don't cross that white line in the perfect mental frame of mind and be prepared to lay your life down for his cause, his mind, all his.

Jose was spoilt rotten at the chavs. All of the players were mentally strong. None of them needed any special treatment.

Times have changed since then. Players like Shaw or our bunch are weak mentally and can only handle the arm around the shoulder tactics.

Jose for whatever reason hasn't adapted his style. Which makes him a dated dinosaur.

Jose was spoilt rotten at the chavs. All of the players were mentally strong. None of them needed any special treatment.

Times have changed since then. Players like Shaw or our bunch are weak mentally and can only handle the arm around the shoulder tactics.

Jose for whatever reason hasn't adapted his style. Which makes him a dated dinosaur.
Agreed RD, he obviously hasn't heard of "you are never to old the learn" so bloody simple.