How often do Prem players stick their hands in their pockets? | Vital Football

How often do Prem players stick their hands in their pockets?

GillsBluenose

Vital Football Hero
Watching Marcus Rashford on the news this morning, it occurred to me how often Premier League players spout on about their poor upbringing and then call on Government and the public to donate in a worthy cause (free school dinners this time which would be paid for out of taxes) but never mention what they contribute financially themselves, considering what they earn.

Are they just modest and prefer to donate anonymously? Or do they think they have done their bit by using their "profile" to promote awareness.

We know that not one of them was willing to give up any wages, but merely to defer them at a time when their clubs will clearly have lost income permanently.

I would really have respected Rashford more if he said he was donating half a million pounds (probably about a month's wages) and challenged the government to match it. That would be a reason to announce his donation, if it existed, and gain more general respect for his profession.

Don't think I could respect him more than I do now. Chucking his own money into the pot would make no difference to me. He's highlighted the problem and put his own time and effort into it (no doubt being slagged off by some for being a know nothing footballer who should keep his nose out). Good luck to the bloke and the cause.

Don't think I could respect him more than I do now. Chucking his own money into the pot would make no difference to me. He's highlighted the problem and put his own time and effort into it (no doubt being slagged off by some for being a know nothing footballer who should keep his nose out). Good luck to the bloke and the cause.

Spot on, Rotherhithe.

The cause is brilliant and I like the bloke.

It just reminded me of the 80s when the likes of U2 and Phil Collins were calling on the government (and indirectly everyone of us through taxes as well as donations) to provide desperately needed foreign aid, while at the same time never mentioning any donations from themselves, and then moving to a tax haven.

I have always been cynical about the term "raising funds" when not accompanied by "donating funds".

Just my personal opinion but I see double standards there and considering Prem players always seem to think they are unfairly judged, I could see an easy way to change that, if they wanted to.

Always an attitude of "keep your hands off of my stash".

Would be delighted to hear a further announcement that proves me wrong.

I would expect plenty do.

It shouldn't be up to the goodwill of the very wealthy to put their hand in their pocket to look after the most at risk in the country, that should be the governments role, and more power to those who stick their head above the parapet to highlight it.

The charity sector is something I do feel very uneasy about, as it shouldn't have to exist.

We shouldn't have to do the poppy appeal, because the government should look after vets properly. I donate to shelter for instance, but wish I didn't have to, as again it lets the government off the hook somewhat when it comes to homeless on the street. Same thing with all the help for heroes, cancer research UK, breast cancer now, help the aged, etc etc etc etc etc.

This argument about why don't richer people donate more is a flawed one, that's a very easy soundbite for those that don't actually want to pay more taxes to use.

There was a billionaire who once went on the godawful fox news suggesting that billionaires should themselves be taxed more in order to benefit society. The final gambit of the (british) "journo" was to offer him to write a cheque to the government today, in order to pay higher taxes. He OBVIOUSLY declined, and therefore the headline of the story was "hypocrite billionaire wants higher taxes but didn't make a donation when prompted".

It's a fallacy, and it's something people should be aware of so they can avoid buying in to it.

This argument about why don't richer people donate more is a flawed one, that's a very easy soundbite for those that don't actually want to pay more taxes to use.

Very true and the other thing is it is very easy to accuse those less well off of just being envious. Something very difficult to disprove.

On watching the interview with Rashford again, I noted that the term he used is that he could use his voice on the subject.

As long as we don't go back to the days of Bob Geldof blatantly ranting "give us the muuuuuny" to everyone, including those struggling to pay their bills as I was at the time, while surrounded by multi millionaire rock stars.

Marcus seems to do his fair share , especially for the community . Sometimes its not the figure donated that is the main thing . Peoples time is just as valuable.

I would expect plenty do.

It shouldn't be up to the goodwill of the very wealthy to put their hand in their pocket to look after the most at risk in the country, that should be the governments role, and more power to those who stick their head above the parapet to highlight it.

The charity sector is something I do feel very uneasy about, as it shouldn't have to exist.

We shouldn't have to do the poppy appeal, because the government should look after vets properly. I donate to shelter for instance, but wish I didn't have to, as again it lets the government off the hook somewhat when it comes to homeless on the street. Same thing with all the help for heroes, cancer research UK, breast cancer now, help the aged, etc etc etc etc etc.

There was a billionaire who once went on the godawful fox news suggesting that billionaires should themselves be taxed more in order to benefit society. The final gambit of the (british) "journo" was to offer him to write a cheque to the government today, in order to pay higher taxes. He OBVIOUSLY declined, and therefore the headline of the story was "hypocrite billionaire wants higher taxes but didn't make a donation when prompted".

It's a fallacy, and it's something people should be aware of so they can avoid buying in to it.
Excellent post MM. Spot on.

A while ago, I posted a link to an interview with a PL player who donates ALL of his wages (£100k per week) to charity. His view was that, as a PL player of a number of years, he didn't need the money so it should go to good use so he has been giving away his wages for the last three years . He was interviewed anonymously but I have heard that he has been "outed" and that it is Mark Noble.
He said in the interview that a number of PL players do the same.

Watching Marcus Rashford on the news this morning, it occurred to me how often Premier League players spout on about their poor upbringing and then call on Government and the public to donate in a worthy cause (free school dinners this time which would be paid for out of taxes) but never mention what they contribute financially themselves, considering what they earn.

Are they just modest and prefer to donate anonymously? Or do they think they have done their bit by using their "profile" to promote awareness.

We know that not one of them was willing to give up any wages, but merely to defer them at a time when their clubs will clearly have lost income permanently.

I would really have respected Rashford more if he said he was donating half a million pounds (probably about a month's wages) and challenged the government to match it. That would be a reason to announce his donation, if it existed, and gain more general respect for his profession.

No wonder wk fights with you ;) You really did not research this one.

Just from the Manchester area:
Rashford put his own money in at first and then joined up with the charity supplying over 2million meals, he then put in more money. It was the charity via the media that highlighted the situation. In this letter he is advising the government of an issue that they may not understand completely, would you rather he kept quiet. When a young kid does something good you want to rubbish him.

Mata of utd started a fund a few years ago where players could voluntarily give 1% of their wages.

Man u and man c give a hell of a lot of time and money to the local underprivileged kids and hospitals, etc via their foundation.

Giggs and Neville helped the homeless and allowed them to stay free in their hotel before it was opened and have done now during the virus.

Nobby gave an example of other footballers.

No wonder wk fights with you ;) You really did not research this one.

Just from the Manchester area:
Rashford put his own money in at first and then joined up with the charity supplying over 2million meals, he then put in more money. It was the charity via the media that highlighted the situation. In this letter he is advising the government of an issue that they may not understand completely, would you rather he kept quiet. When a young kid does something good you want to rubbish him.
Mata of utd started a fund a few years ago where players could voluntarily give 1% of their wages.
Man u and man c give a hell of a lot of time and money to the local underprivileged kids and hospitals, etc via their foundation.
Giggs and Neville helped the homeless and allowed them to stay free in their hotel before it was opened and have done now during the virus.
Nobby gave an example of other footballers.

I was just asking the question because it is impossible to research unless any donation is reported.

You will note that I have liked Madrid's and Roone's examples.

I have a feeling that in the report that Nobby mentions, the player (Noble?) is quite critical of other footballer's attitudes on the subject.

It is up to them what they do with their money but I find it hard to have any sympathy for those they bleat that footballers get given such a hard time when a certain number just want to bling themselves up and buy far more flash cars than they could ever possibly drive. That is, when they are not sharing jacuzzis with sex workers.

One of the things that came out when the health secretary was spouting on about premier league players taking pay cuts was he had no idea that there were plenty of them who already had there own foundations and gave to their local communities!

Nick Hancock does shoot his mouth off. Understand that he's for the chop once things quieten down, many even within the Tory party see him as an embarrassment.