How much trouble are Spurs now in? | Page 10 | Vital Football

How much trouble are Spurs now in?

1975 to 77, 9 stone. Intermediate age between junior and senior. Last fight was against Mark Kaylor of West Ham, he became British Middleweight champion later on , didnt lay a glove on me. Basically the better you get the more you need to train and work and girls kind of got in the way of training. I worked in a supermarket and was coming into work with scuffs and grazes to my face, split lips and black eyes, the manager didn't like it much. It's a tough sport , I enjoyed it and got myself in the local newspaper a few times, my Grandad was well chuffed.
That's a blast from the past,I remember Mark kaylor

Reports from a paper, prob not true but:

• A number of Tottenham players have expressed concerns Mauricio Pochettino's energy-sapping training sessions are causing injuries to key players.
I read that a while ago and mentioned it back then, I didn't know how true it is but it is still doing the rounds then.

1975 to 77, 9 stone. Intermediate age between junior and senior. Last fight was against Mark Kaylor of West Ham, he became British Middleweight champion later on , didnt lay a glove on me. Basically the better you get the more you need to train and work and girls kind of got in the way of training. I worked in a supermarket and was coming into work with scuffs and grazes to my face, split lips and black eyes, the manager didn't like it much. It's a tough sport , I enjoyed it and got myself in the local newspaper a few times, my Grandad was well chuffed.

Similar to my uncle. Pete Neal. He was welter weight.

If I had carried on I would have been a super middle at my optimum physical development and age. I am now a heavy weight !! Probably a Cruiser if I shed the timber.

7 games in 4 weeks coming up, none are easy, two against PSV are crucial if we are to progress in the CL , two against spam, one of which is in the League Cup . Poch stressed how tough this period is with Rose, Vert and Alli still out. Well maybe he should have strengthened us in the summer window then , as it seems it was all down to him not to sign anyone.

IF we beat Spam and PSV twice each our season will be a lot more interesting.....lose tomorrow, lose in the nobody seems to care cup, lose (or not beat) PSV and we are left with chasing a top four place, hoping for good draws in the FA cup and hoping that we get 3rd spot in the CL so we get to play Thurs nights...… I absolutely think we have it in us to win those 4 games.....but being able to and doing it...well, we shall see

Sad days when we are on the fence as to whether we can beat West Ham and PSV...sad days.

Sad days indeed ………..The spam have won more games against us than any other PL team - I hat that stat

It's written in history, we don't do well against spam hence the fence sitting. It's nothing new or a change in a trend. We have also won a lot of games against better sides than spam. It's not a sad time or a downer for me that I am on the fence. I think we should win but history suggests otherwise. That doesn't mean there is a problem. I don't know much about Psv but the pressure is on so I'm going to be worried.

Rare to see you post with such negativity EX. But you are bang on the money. Except Dier as the best English CB line. ;-)

This was the start of the thread and I for one wasn't that confident we could cope with injuries etc. But we have had our best start in the PL and are right up there with City and Chavs. Dier and Winks in MF are performing, Sissoko covering when needed, Lamela has been a surprise, Moura is a handful for defences. With Alli and Eriksen coming back and Rose we will get even better, Kane is not at his best yet or Son. There is more to come. So even though the next 6 games come thick and fast, is the trepidation lifted ?

This was the start of the thread and I for one wasn't that confident we could cope with injuries etc. But we have had our best start in the PL and are right up there with City and Chavs. Dier and Winks in MF are performing, Sissoko covering when needed, Lamela has been a surprise, Moura is a handful for defences. With Alli and Eriksen coming back and Rose we will get even better, Kane is not at his best yet or Son. There is more to come. So even though the next 6 games come thick and fast, is the trepidation lifted ?

Weirdly no. The squad depth has kicked in and put us in a healthy league position. Our spine still looks strong and players like Lamela and Winks are stepping up.

However, our inability to score goals is probably the thing that filters down the confidence levels. Being nervous is probably just the way it always is for a Spurs fan.

I said on here that our squad depth was better than people gave credit and that was before the injury crisis. Yes we don't have like for like replacements for everyone, but our 2nd string are on the whole good enough to scrape results against most outside the top 5 if they perform near their potential.

That said I think our current points tally/closeness to the top is a slightly false position. If you compare our GD to those above us you can see we're definitely not producing the kind of dominant displays we're used to from this team. We're obviously picking up more wins and haven't drawn a game yet, but I don't know if we can keep it up without improving our chance creation dramatically.

City is going to be a huge test of our tired and stretched squad. But it could just be the catalyst to raise our game.

I said on here that our squad depth was better than people gave credit and that was before the injury crisis. Yes we don't have like for like replacements for everyone, but our 2nd string are on the whole good enough to scrape results against most outside the top 5 if they perform near their potential.

That said I think our current points tally/closeness to the top is a slightly false position. If you compare our GD to those above us you can see we're definitely not producing the kind of dominant displays we're used to from this team. We're obviously picking up more wins and haven't drawn a game yet, but I don't know if we can keep it up without improving our chance creation dramatically.

City is going to be a huge test of our tired and stretched squad. But it could just be the catalyst to raise our game.

Think there's also a bunch of players at similar levels and very tuned into Poch's tactics after being around the club for a while. It makes switching them around reasonably easy. Agree that the squad is deeper than sometimes given credit for.

I would target 2 main positions where we need improvement. The first is full-back where we've never come close to the Walker-Rose levels previously. The second is centre mid where we're not close to the 16/17 partnership of Wanyama/Dembele. If we get a better level of consistency and performance from there, we'll start to see 3 of our 5 attacking midfielders start to impact games more with Kane.

Aurier was starting to look decent, Tripps on his day is a great asset and KWP would be at least 2nd choice at most PL clubs I feel.

Davies has gone backwards and even at his best doesn't have the pace you'd want from that position so agree we need to sort out LB 100%.

CM is a no brainer to strengthen but it's nice to see Dier and Winks are beginning to build a little understanding. Worried Wanyama is a certified sicknote now.

The CM is a worry especially against the best sides like Citeh.I feel we are limping through this season with multiple injuries,fatigue & a drying up of goals. It will be a miracle if we get in the top 4,the next round of the Champs league or win a cup.If we do these 3 things a statue to Poch should be erected in the new stadium.

Part of the rationale behind this thread was to draw all the negativity to one thread - that and a feeling of real foreboding I had after our lacklustre window....throw in my fear that injuries and stagnation would occur and it is a near miracle what our start has been - at least to me...

That said, and in the interests of feeding the negative beast - we've had a pretty easy start - haven't we?

All you can do is take your hat off to Poch, I really didn't think we'd even be close to this sort of start.

Can we maintain it?

Aurier was starting to look decent, Tripps on his day is a great asset and KWP would be at least 2nd choice at most PL clubs I feel.

Davies has gone backwards and even at his best doesn't have the pace you'd want from that position so agree we need to sort out LB 100%.

CM is a no brainer to strengthen but it's nice to see Dier and Winks are beginning to build a little understanding. Worried Wanyama is a certified sicknote now.

The highlight over the last few weeks is Dier and Winks forming a partnership.

They certainly compliment each other. Key for any partnership being successful.

Part of the rationale behind this thread was to draw all the negativity to one thread - that and a feeling of real foreboding I had after our lacklustre window....throw in my fear that injuries and stagnation would occur and it is a near miracle what our start has been - at least to me...

That said, and in the interests of feeding the negative beast - we've had a pretty easy start - haven't we?

All you can do is take your hat off to Poch, I really didn't think we'd even be close to this sort of start.

Can we maintain it?

I suppose the other question is whether players have been naturally recharging their batteries whilst injured. We've seen Jan, Rose, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen all miss playing time for club and country. It might be frustrating that they haven't been available, but they could come back fresher. Son hasn't really got going either and you get the feeling Poch has held him back to get him rested.

Can see a great debate on our best eleven as we head into the big games. There's already some great battles going on in the attacking midfield area plus Winks vs. Dembele or Trips vs Aurier. Some close calls for Poch to make. Just need Wanyama and Davies to get going to make it even more competitive.

I suppose the other question is whether players have been naturally recharging their batteries whilst injured. We've seen Jan, Rose, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen all miss playing time for club and country. It might be frustrating that they haven't been available, but they could come back fresher. Son hasn't really got going either and you get the feeling Poch has held him back to get him rested.

Can see a great debate on our best eleven as we head into the big games. There's already some great battles going on in the attacking midfield area plus Winks vs. Dembele or Trips vs Aurier. Some close calls for Poch to make. Just need Wanyama and Davies to get going to make it even more competitive.

WANYAMA.