How much trouble are Spurs now in? | Page 8 | Vital Football

How much trouble are Spurs now in?

Dier has played over 50 games for club and country for 3 straight seasons with the difference from Kane in that he plays in the engine room of the team. He has carried the burden of Wanyama and Winks long term injuries plus Dembele's fragility. He's never had a major injury that has given his body and mind a natural rest and has probably patched himself up to play many times for Poch.

Personally, I find it hard to bash the guy. We all said that our centre mid needed freshening up in the summer yet the message from the club was that they couldn't find "players that could improve us". I've watched Doucoure for Watford against us this season and last night saw how good Kondogbia was for Valencia last night. Neves is looking great for Wolves as well in front of his defence. I bet we can all name players that were available and affordable.

I'll be amazed if our midfield improves to anywhere its previous levels. Dier needs a rest. Wanyama is 50:50 whether he'll get back to full fitness and form without further left knee issues. Dembele will continue to play well, miss games and get mugged on the ball more and more. Sissoko will play a part at his limited level. Our best hope is that Winks can get back on his previous trajectory and stay free of injuries.

fair points Muttley. I know it's not a proper rest as he was still training and travelling, but he wasn't overused in the world cup so I view it a little differently to Kane.

Neves just wasn't ever available, and if he were we'd be fighting City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United for him I'm fairly sure. It doesn't help that his agent is on Wolves payroll.

The others are all fair shouts and I wonder who we tried for before we went for Grealish... He felt like the "one for the future" rather than the ready made Dembele replacement to me. I think Dembele not leaving effected things, firstly because he took up a squad place and secondly because Poch thinks he's a genius and would probably rather have him than risk it with a new player in that position.

EX says Gomes was our number 1 target with Grealish. Considering we were all over Gomes last summer as well, I think he was spot on.

We weren't willing to pay the transfer fee's for either that is the bottom line.

As for Dier I'm sure fatigue has played it's part. But his form only dropped massively once we stopped his move to United. IMO his head was turned and we have never been able to get him back fully focused.

I would sell. He is nothing more than an average player now.

He is in a dip of form but he is a utility player who can cover at least 3 positions. For that reason I would keep him. Those positions he sometimes swaps mid game too.

EX says Gomes was our number 1 target with Grealish. Considering we were all over Gomes last summer as well, I think he was spot on.

We weren't willing to pay the transfer fee's for either that is the bottom line.

As for Dier I'm sure fatigue has played it's part. But his form only dropped massively once we stopped his move to United. IMO his head was turned and we have never been able to get him back fully focused.

I would sell. He is nothing more than an average player now.
I think the real problem is we never shifted any players out, we are not in a position yet where we can carry the wages of the 4 to 5 players that we needed to move on with wages of new signing.
We still have Llorente, Jensen, GKN, Sissoko and Dembele, we really needed to shift some players out. That to me is as big a failure as not bringing in players, at least if we had done that the decks would have been cleared for Jan.

I think the real problem is we never shifted any players out, we are not in a position yet where we can carry the wages of the 4 to 5 players that we needed to move on with wages of new signing.
We still have Llorente, Jensen, GKN, Sissoko and Dembele, we really needed to shift some players out. That to me is as big a failure as not bringing in players, at least if we had done that the decks would have been cleared for Jan.

Agreed that has been part of the problem. Our manager okayed all of them deals so he must take a lot of the blame.

But if the rumours are accurate we were asking silly money for all of them so no wonder we couldn't shift.

Huge problems. We need to avoid EL at all costs now.

The mistakes we are making are school boy errors. What has happened to our concentration?

We are acting like we are a new team that are in transition.

The mistakes we are making are school boy errors. What has happened to our concentration?

We are acting like we are a new team that are in transition.

I've said it for years and i know it to be true, when you have a deeply embedded fatigue or you've been over-played at the highest level, the mind and concentration is prone to wander - seen it in players a million times.

Poch has to figure away to fix it. Changing training ground routines, greater tactical awareness/coaching - more rotation inside ONE system, perhaps two - and somehow also regain momentum - which I suspect won't come until we get the one /two targets we want/need in January.

As much as everyone lauded the addition of three kids to our squad, it's clear Poch is struggling to use them.

From the BBC

'' As Mauricio Pochettino sat and swallowed the disappointment of Wednesday's Champions League loss to Barcelona, it was in this same room at Wembley 11 months ago he declared Tottenham among the best teams in Europe.
Spurs had qualified for the Champions League knockout phase by outclassing eventual winners Real Madrid in a 3-1 win that illuminated the stadium with its brilliance. It was 1 November and Pochettino was buoyant.
"We now not only belong with the best in England but in Europe," said the Argentine. "What we have to do now is move to the next level and that is winning things. We're pleased but it will mean nothing if we have not won anything."
Fast forward to this 4-2 defeat by Barcelona and Pochettino's claim no longer stands up to close scrutiny. ''

And that little piece just sums it up, how to screw up 4 years work in one easy lesson, stand still in the summer transfer market and end up taking one huge step backwards.

There is not one creditable 'big team' in Europe let alone the PL that would still have Llorente and Sissoko infesting their benches as 'first team options' , the whole world and his wife and dog saw their completely inept and pointless displays last season, it's an insult to our intelligence that they are still fulfilling the same pointless role this season.

Levy said the new stadium would not affect our transfer plans , but suddenly every other supporter says we can't buy anyone as we don't have any money .
WTF ?

What has happened to Poch's training this season ?
One of the supposed 'benefits' of buying no one was that we had no one to integrate into the team , we were a well drilled pressing unit that had one of the best defensive records in the PL.
Yet this season we don't press and clean sheets are as rare as rocking horse shit.

From being a club that was possibly 2 players away from winning something, how far away are we now, a million miles by the looks of it.

This same old cycle of shit of nearly nearly then collapsing backwards again has happened time and again, Jol, Rednapp and now Poch.

The only constant in this depressingly familiar and fully expected failure to actually achieve anything is Levy.

ENIC OUT

I've said it for years and i know it to be true, when you have a deeply embedded fatigue or you've been over-played at the highest level, the mind and concentration is prone to wander - seen it in players a million times.

Poch has to figure away to fix it. Changing training ground routines, greater tactical awareness/coaching - more rotation inside ONE system, perhaps two - and somehow also regain momentum - which I suspect won't come until we get the one /two targets we want/need in January.

As much as everyone lauded the addition of three kids to our squad, it's clear Poch is struggling to use them.

He doesn’t use the kids at Spurs, utter myth.

Honestly can’t see us signing anyone in Jan, we are not organised enough.

We should be lining up deals now (ins and outs) but Levy still believes his way is the best

I don’t know if you listened to cundy last night (I did my accident) he had it spot on - Spurs fans are defending the indefensible and are trying to wear the no signings as a badge of honour, it’s not.

But we had options to prevent this from happening EX, so sorry that isn't a good enough reason. We all called this last season, the burn out, fatigue would hurt us this season.

As we didn't sign anyone Poch has no choice but to play the kids. It's tuff shit if they are not ready, you don't continue to run your best players into the ground because of being a stubborn dickhead. As a result they are all starting to get injured.

I still think Jansen and N'Kou could have been used last season and this season. Then we have KWP, Foyth, Skipp, Amos, Georgiou who could help out.

Instead we take up squad places by having 3 non home grown keepers and with Llorente and Sissoko sucking up really good wages. Poor poor management.

Guts me to say it...but unless we can win something this year to try and convince some of our core that we are actually moving in a positive direction...I see rebuilding efforts for next few seasons.

We had a roster that was ready to take the next step and possibly accomplish something really special, but we wasted multiple transfer windows to further strengthen the squad and provide 'quality' depth. This guts me more than anything. We stagnated...

I am hoping the guys we have can turn it around and we can turn this thing around.

CCV and Onamah out on loan, Edwards on loan, Amos crocked all season. Skipp still available but he ain't ready for big games. Foyth coming back from injury. We look very sparse.

The usual suspects called up for England duty to injure or tire them. Plus Winks who is barely back to full fitness. I'm not surprised he was picked because England lack his creative type in MF.

After the world cup Kane is only just recovering, Dier hasn't, Tripps looks jaded, Rose is just getting back to a decent level and they have to do it all again. Because we are so thin on the ground at the moment these players don't get rotated much. The matches just keep coming. Internationals, CL, PL, League and FA cups.

The usual suspects called up for England duty to injure or tire them. Plus Winks who is barely back to full fitness. I'm not surprised he was picked because England lack his creative type in MF.

After the world cup Kane is only just recovering, Dier hasn't, Tripps looks jaded, Rose is just getting back to a decent level and they have to do it all again. Because we are so thin on the ground at the moment these players don't get rotated much. The matches just keep coming. Internationals, CL, PL, League and FA cups.

Poch needs to open his mouth instead of just keep bending over and getting the lube ready, I'd sack him for that alone this season.

Poch needs to open his mouth instead of just keep bending over and getting the lube ready, I'd sack him for that alone this season.

I lost a lot of respect for Poch this summer. He took it deep and lube free all for a pay rise.

If he had anything about him he would have walked. Just another yes man.

I lost a lot of respect for Poch this summer. He took it deep and lube free all for a pay rise.

If he had anything about him he would have walked. Just another yes man.

If he was serious about being "brave" he would have told Levy he would only sign the new deal AFTER the window.

Dont back me I am not signing the new deal.