How much trouble are Spurs now in? | Page 6 | Vital Football

How much trouble are Spurs now in?

Question can Levy and Pochettino read. If so start fracking here

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...m-fail-to-heed-clear-evidence-harry-kane-rest

Great article.....some great points about us overplaying at the back and starting to lose possession more often.

Doesn't tell the whole story though. It's not the bad pass that turns possession back that is the issue. That's just the consequence of a lack of passing options which in turn is a combination of the fatigue in the team and the tactical setup. Been watching Rose and Davies a lot this season. If I were them I'd be ready to get stuck into Moura, Son, Kane, Dele etc. The amount of times we've been lop-sided and vacating the left channel is scary and has been exploited by almost every team we've played. Son was just missing most of the 1st half when Davies had the ball at his feet and it happens way too much.

Obviously, you've then got Dembele getting mugged because he is a 31 year old trying to play like a 27 year old. Not to mention Dier looking like a centre half playing his first ever game in centre mid every game. That should have been resolved in the transfer market.

The lack of passing options for our LBs is something I've noticed too. Particularly Vs Liverpool there was literally no outlet option most of the time.

I thought Son returning would help as he tends to make himself available but something needs to be done. Yes Davies and Rose have both been far from their best but the midfield aren't making their job easy ATM.

What irritates me is an experimental line up against Liverpool. I believe it's only happened once where a change in tactics worked against a top 6 team. City.

What irritates me is an experimental line up against Liverpool. I believe it's only happened once where a change in tactics worked against a top 6 team. City.

Not quite. Didn't Poch match up Chelsea's 3-4-3 and get the result. In fact, we sort of switched to that system after Dele's couple of headers. I think Poch also played Winks in front of the centre halves in a 3 with Dele and Eriksen last season against Pool at home and got the result.

In fact, I was quite happy to see a 3 of Dier, Dembele and Winks. Not telling Moura or Eriksen they had to focus on the left channel ahead was his big tactical error in my mind. Expecting Rose to cover the left wide area with Trent and Salah was tactical suicide.

Not quite. Didn't Poch match up Chelsea's 3-4-3 and get the result. In fact, we sort of switched to that system after Dele's couple of headers. I think Poch also played Winks in front of the centre halves in a 3 with Dele and Eriksen last season against Pool at home and got the result.

In fact, I was quite happy to see a 3 of Dier, Dembele and Winks. Not telling Moura or Eriksen they had to focus on the left channel ahead was his big tactical error in my mind. Expecting Rose to cover the left wide area with Trent and Salah was tactical suicide.

Yet he did. Two shit goals.

Yes but performances are still awful.

Does Poch have the nouse to rectify and get us playing good football again?
Do we have the depth to allow Poch to fix this?

Yes and yes imo.

It's funny if we have a bad performance and lose people say "we're not the kind of team that can win games when not playing well, the best teams can" bad performance and win and no mention of it.

I would say we have won more games playing badly than playing well under Poch. Then I would say in the main most are average performances.

We have gone backwards on the pitch since the 2016/17 and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

I agree we have gone backwards in quite a few ways. But why ? And what is the remedy ?

We finished lower by one place, scored less and conceded more. We did get to the FA semis and last 16 of the CL from a very tough group though. So our CL performance was better.

So what were the differences ? Well we played away from home all season but the difference was marginal but still a negative. We lost quite a few key players through injury but I don't know how that compares to 2016/ 17.

Our signings made little impact last season although Sanchez did ok he is no replacement for Toby who missed a lot of games. Lucas wasn't ready and Aurier not adjusted and no replacement for Walker. Llorente I don't need to elaborate on.

I think other sides sussed out how to play against us perhaps but that's difficult to quantify.

The only change this season could be our returning long term injured. Lamela, Winks, Rose, Toby, Wanyama and lesser so Wanyama who is yet to prove he is over his problem.

The away from home issue is still there. The lack of meaningful signings worse and our rivals have improved their squads. Seeing teams like Watford and Brighton play the standard of lesser teams may be improving which could challenge us.

So it's not a pretty picture being painted although we have confounded doubters and punched above our weight before so it's all crystal ball stuff. Having said that the writing is on the wall.

As you say NRD plenty of reasons why we have dropped off.

Poch has been very fortunate to have a very good first 11 and at least 3-5 back up players to pick from in most of his time here. We have been lucky with injuries until last season as well.

For me we have stood still in many of the transfer windows. That has stopped our progression. I think it's down to a mixture of Levy not being ambitious enough and Poch just not having the ability for picking the right player.

Of course some of the problems we have faced have been out of our control but that happens at every club.

Too many fans just make excuses for the problems when with some intelligent planning, failure could have been avoided. The transfer window just gone being a very good example.

As you say NRD plenty of reasons why we have dropped off.

Poch has been very fortunate to have a very good first 11 and at least 3-5 back up players to pick from in most of his time here. We have been lucky with injuries until last season as well.

For me we have stood still in many of the transfer windows. That has stopped our progression. I think it's down to a mixture of Levy not being ambitious enough and Poch just not having the ability for picking the right player.

Of course some of the problems we have faced have been out of our control but that happens at every club.

Too many fans just make excuses for the problems when with some intelligent planning, failure could have been avoided. The transfer window just gone being a very good example.

I think with financial constraints imposed Poch is faced with optimising our performance again this season beyond where we are. That could be why he is so edgy and demanding. The players need to perform at a higher level to stop us slipping further.

We definitely have regressed in key areas. From front to back the metrics show Kane's lack of mobility running and shooting means he no longer occupies the opposing CB to the degree he did. The ball sticks less, and he is pulling the opposing defence out less and as a result the ball comes back quicker with less space for our wide forwards. Look at the goal drop off for the likes of Son and Alli. Sone of this is Kane. Compounded by our CM losing too many battles, form fitness who knows, but for two years Deir, Wanyama Dembele were bossed by know one (Kante Matic, Henderson, Herrea know one. Now Dacoure and Capone can own them. They protect the back four poorly and WC exhausted Center-backs are making errors that are concentration induced. Goals from corners are an example. We never replace Walker like for like, it's totally destabilise our fullback based press. It was covered by Davis having a frankly freakish run of form and Trippier's delivery. But were set up to play with Rose/Walker prototypes. It is a problem Aurier's injury when he was looking better is a disaster especially against top teams. The mid level of the EPL is getting better,worse with Wolves and Fulham and Arsenal finding their feet this will only become more acute an issue. The Goal keeper situation, with poor 2 and 3 keepers is problematic. Factor the looming contract issues of key players and the regression was inevitable and confounded by the window. Sorry for the long post but our problems are real. The last two wins should not fool you welcome though they are.

I agree we have gone backwards in quite a few ways. But why ? And what is the remedy ?

We finished lower by one place, scored less and conceded more. We did get to the FA semis and last 16 of the CL from a very tough group though. So our CL performance was better.

So what were the differences ? Well we played away from home all season but the difference was marginal but still a negative. We lost quite a few key players through injury but I don't know how that compares to 2016/ 17.

Our signings made little impact last season although Sanchez did ok he is no replacement for Toby who missed a lot of games. Lucas wasn't ready and Aurier not adjusted and no replacement for Walker. Llorente I don't need to elaborate on.

I think other sides sussed out how to play against us perhaps but that's difficult to quantify.

The only change this season could be our returning long term injured. Lamela, Winks, Rose, Toby, Wanyama and lesser so Wanyama who is yet to prove he is over his problem.

The away from home issue is still there. The lack of meaningful signings worse and our rivals have improved their squads. Seeing teams like Watford and Brighton play the standard of lesser teams may be improving which could challenge us.

So it's not a pretty picture being painted although we have confounded doubters and punched above our weight before so it's all crystal ball stuff. Having said that the writing is on the wall.

Biggest reasons why would be:
1. Kane being over played and losing his edge
2. Wanyama & Dembele's injuries.

Just to clarify. I am not forecasting impending gloom. It ain't happened yet and for the last few seasons we have surprised me with our overall performance.