How Many Units Can You Drink? | Vital Football

How Many Units Can You Drink?

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
According to an article in the Guardian, we are all fucking alchos, necking units of alcohol like it's nobody's business. Apparently, more than 8 units of alcohol is considered a binge and half of us are binge drinkers. I'd love to say that I'm shocked or delighted or something but I haven't a clue what a unit of alcohol is or where you would buy one.

Before Kafkat decides to fill this thread with her delightful stories, can someone explain what a unit of alcohol is why people don't count in pints anymore?

If you want to know how they have found out about all that booze you've been drinking in the shed: http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/27/britons-drinking-dangerously-alcohol-consumption

No intention of BB unless there is a need going on what someone has said, so be careful what you post I may post Ha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_of_alcohol This link will tell you all you need to know and more to boggle your head ;o)

Thanks, Kafkat. One pint of 5% lager is 3 units and 8 units is a binge? What fucking plant are these people on?

They reckon you should have no more than 2 drinks nightly and not binge them together as it damages the body.

The limits for men is 21 units a week and 14 for women.

They have just started a advert on TV (has anyone else seen it) about drinking to telling you not to drink every night and to drink tea/coffee instead and give your body a break.

The advert which is 2 anime type people in different colours shows them blowing up in certain places of the body that the alcohol affects, should as the lungs heart liver kidneys etc. It does affect more than the liver.

The majority of drinkers are binge drinkers tbh. I was what today hip term would call a stress binge drinker.

It's all about health today BB. An average pint would have been a unit at 1 time but with all the strong beers etc around now those units have gone up

I drink a bottle of wine every night, more at weekends.

Plus Sundays I'll drink 6-10 pints of lager.

Have done for 25 years.

I have recently significantly cut down on alcohol. Since New Year I have only had around 5 days where I have had a drink, and only two of those where I have "binged". Do I feel better? Not really. I am trying to re-negotiate my relationship with drink, not that I had a problem, just that it seemed to be too important for me to have a nice time. I suppose part of this is about getting older.

Like Wurzel, I too have significantly cut down my alcohol intake. Basically, since arriving in Indonesia the only alcohol available generally is bottled fizz pilsner crap, so I have one large bottle when I go out and that's it normally.

Prior to this - when still in the UK, I drank more, as it was worth drinking. I would go into a pub and ask for a half of this, half of that and so on as I was into real ale. It never struck me to ask for a unit. Not only that, I don't think the staff would have a clue anyway.

Basically, I couldn't of give a toss about "units" then, and I still don't now!

If they want to call 3 pints binge drinking,then I `m a Binger with a capitol B.In fact,sometimes I `m absolutely binged and that`s before I`ve gone out to get further binged.
I`ve got mates who could be called bingers just for their half time activities.
How the hell do they come to these ridiculous conclusions.
Is all their idealistic bullshit based on living until you`re 148 ?

TBH the way I drunk the majority were stunned when I went into A.A as they didn't see me has having a problem with alcohol. I drunk on stress and pain for 3 years on a night and when I wanted to stop it I couldn't hence to cut a long story short I joined A.A. I have the only requirement for membership which is 'a desire to stop drinking' and have done for 10 years next month.

The majority of people in the U.K do binge drink but and that's the but is you want to have to stop, cut down or whatever. If you don't there is no point trying to make someone as it won't work

BodyButter - 27/2/2013 12:56

Thanks, Kafkat. One pint of 5% lager is 3 units and 8 units is a binge? What fucking plant are these people on?

Oh charming, you disagree with their opinion so straight away you accuse them of being druggies.

What plant are they on, jeez, I ask you!!!

:139:

I haven't had a drink since my birthday (end of November). That being said I can't wait until my girls are born and I can have a drink, I miss beer and wine.

The Fear - 27/2/2013 23:57

Oh charming, you disagree with their opinion so straight away you accuse them of being druggies.

What plant are they on, jeez, I ask you!!!

:139:

I just spotted that and was about to correct it but I figured they are probably a bunch of weed smoking, alcohol hating, hippies. Lol

:35:

Last year I hardly drank at all, was too ill, main exception was wolves away, I felt so bad I thought sod it, might as well have a session.

Not that often I go out for a drink now, last time was a free corporate at villa where I sank a good few wines and beers.

I drink occasionally at home, red wine, I buy the mini bottles, about a glass, glass and a half. Tastes nice and good for you.

They say drinking moderately is healthier than being teetotal.

I enjoy the odd blow out though and especially when a group of us do an away game.

The Fear - 27/2/2013 15:02

:35:

They say drinking moderately is healthier than being teetotal.

Not in my case JF

:17: I will drink to that on Coka Cola :8:

In answer to the question I can usually do about 50 units before either falling asleep or vomiting.

This is one of my favourite quotes ever and one I live my life by.

"I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic. Alcoholic's go to meetings."

DeanoVilla - 27/2/2013 15:32

This is one of my favourite quotes ever and one I live my life by.

"I'm a drunk, not an alcoholic. Alcoholic's go to meetings."

:17: Unfortunately not all. They used to call people drunks back in the 30's and they came up with the name alcoholics has a nicer term. I kid you not

Im an alcoholic...Not as in drinking bottles of spirits all day etc...But as in, I cannot give up up drink. I admire Kat for doing what you have done and hope you to stay with it.

(I even typed up twice because im pissed now)