How many points do we need to get in the top 6 | Vital Football

How many points do we need to get in the top 6

Magnetnotmaggots

Vital Squad Member
In contrast to the negative small miinded thinking over on s2 4su who are still discussing how many points we need to stay up. I thought I'd ask our more ambitious board about our top six chances.

In the last 10 years the average number of points to achieve sixth place is 64.10 points
43 more points gives us a great chance

We've averaged 1.375 points from our 16 games

We need to up our points per game ratio to 1.954

Maybe a bit high, but why not. Anything's better than reading about our safety targets

I'll settle for 17th. ( although expectations have been raised)

Anything else is a big bonus but I agree with MnM, albeit with fingers, arms legs and toes, crossed that maybe, just maybe we might get to a stage where we EXPECT more........................................................but we all know what happens then!

More prayer needed TT, simples But the big G might be helping that lot - they tell me there are thousands more of them to pray.

With respect to the OP getting 40/42 points is the most important issue. Staying up gives us huge options for next season. You only have to look at how Bourenmouths crazy injury crisis could relegate them. How Burnley,West Ham, Everton and Villa are struggling and that should reinforce pragmatism over giddyness.
Wilder will be aiming high whilst realising its fine margins from 8th to 18th. A few on here may do well to echo those sentiments.

Top 6 ?

I don't want The Blades 'just making up the numbers' ......................... same owd is dead and buried.

I will however concede staying up this
season would still be acceptable.

Last edited:
Said 12th, and I'd be more than happy with 44 pts and 12th. We have a good squad, but we need some magic in three players down the spine who can push us forward again. To me qualification to Europa League this year would be unwelcome. Look at Wolves and their tortured trips to the back of nowhere since July. They've got a bigger and better squad than us too. It'd kill us.

The FA Cup, though... We can give anyone a game, and if we were confdent of staying up, I'd really like us to give it a proper go.

Said 12th, and I'd be more than happy with 44 pts and 12th. We have a good squad, but we need some magic in three players down the spine who can push us forward again. To me qualification to Europa League this year would be unwelcome. Look at Wolves and their tortured trips to the back of nowhere since July. They've got a bigger and better squad than us too. It'd kill us.

The FA Cup, though... We can give anyone a game, and if we were confdent of staying up, I'd really like us to give it a proper go.
:agree:

12th would be a great achievement
I am enjoying this wonderful ride
Back when Adkins was in charge, I looked forward more to the Estrella in the Beer Engine , than the match!
UTB

Sorry to be part of the negative squad MNM, but supporting United for more than 70 years, has knocked any overly optimistic ideas out of my system many many years ago. :(

Said it the start of the season so will stick with it 17th will do. In doing so we would earn twice as much as winning the FA Cup. Survival and stability are the most important this season.

Sorry to be part of the negative squad MNM, but supporting United for more than 70 years, has knocked any overly optimistic ideas out of my system many many years ago. :(

Me too, (except the 70 years bit)
But looking at S2 4SU as an observer actually depressed me.

It's not overly cautious negativity so that you don't look like a dickhead, it's the actual overbearing agreeance that we don't belong where we are and we certainly don't belong any higher.

Me too, (except the 70 years bit)
But looking at S2 4SU as an observer actually depressed me.

It's not overly cautious negativity so that you don't look like a dickhead, it's the actual overbearing agreeance that we don't belong where we are and we certainly don't belong any higher.

Respectfully disagree. The many of us that have been going since 1970 (in my case) and before in others have lived through a litany of bridesmaid events. I've enjoyed Darlington, Leicester and Warnocks promotion since then whilst suffering Pigs semi,Newcastle,Arsenal,Hull, Burnley, Palace,Wolves and Huddersfield. On top of that Cambridge,Walsall,Chelsea and Wigan.
Please explain after reading and understanding what that lot means what part of being cautious you don't get. Ta.

Respectfully disagree. The many of us that have been going since 1970 (in my case) and before in others have lived through a litany of bridesmaid events. I've enjoyed Darlington, Leicester and Warnocks promotion since then whilst suffering Pigs semi,Newcastle,Arsenal,Hull, Burnley, Palace,Wolves and Huddersfield. On top of that Cambridge,Walsall,Chelsea and Wigan.
Please explain after reading and understanding what that lot means what part of being cautious you don't get. Ta.

I'm not daft enough to think top six is really possible, especially with the upturn in Man Utd and Spurs form, it won't be long before Arsenal start making inroads to the top six either.
It was just a comment taking the opposite side of the "Not possible, can't do it, never happen" brigade.

Being realistic, as many are, is not the same as a point blank refusal to accept that we could ever be there because we don't belong. Leicester do apparantly, Wolves do apparantly, twenty other mid sized clubs do apparantly and have done in the past..........But not us, it's just not possible for some reason.

The number one reason that the club has been able to dole out shyte for so long

It would be a phenomenal achievement if we could somehow finish top six, but we're still millionaires playing a billionaires game.

It would be a phenomenal achievement if we could somehow finish top six, but we're still millionaires playing a billionaires game.
It would but as you alluded to I think it would be folly for us no team unless one of the big 6 has coped well with European football I want to finish as high as possible but not in a European place not yet anyway