How do you decide where to move...? | Vital Football

How do you decide where to move...?

CDX_EIRE

Vital Football Legend
So I live in Ireland prospects are desperate Im in Construction currently work as junior engineer get paid hardly anything...

I want to leave because I want to travel, be out of my comfort zone and to make some money...

I really want to move to Canada, Calgary to be specific but Im open to other places... Since the Visas are gone this year Iv to wait til next year if I want to go there...

With this in mind I was looking to go to England again to work... Im in for a job in London and if it doesnt work out a contact in work will sort me out with a company in London...
This is where I complicate things another guy in work said he'd help with a contact for Australia... I never really wanted to go there but now Im considering it however if I go that puts a stop to Canada for the foreseeable future...

So what Im asking is how would you decide where to move? My plan was London for the short term a year maybe two then go to Canada but now Im looking at Oz and Im just unsure what I should do...

Having not moved I can't help.

ultimately it's going to be your choice and if you want to be out of your comfort zone then I'd give Australia a go, I know about 5 lads out there that went 6/7 years ago and haven't looked back.

Emile Heskey wasnt one of them by the way

Having livid in Oz for a while that would be my first choice. I would make my second choice based on the women to men ratio ! Simples

If you are young enough, have no major ties and responsibilities in Ireland, have a realistic chance of finding a decent position in another country then go for it. Living and working abroad is a great learning experience, even if you hate it. At the end of the day, if you have nothing of major value (I don't mean money) to lose then why not? After all, you can always go back if it doesn't suit. I have lived and worked in numerous countries, some I loved, some I hated, but the experience from all of them made me a wiser and more confident person. Never made any real money though!

Damn Prep I was hoping somebody would send me Heskeys contact info...

Im not too sure myself Trekker I think I just got it into my head that Canada was the place for me... Iv been half dreaming of it since last year and its only been the last couple months that I set my heart too... Im not sure if its any one thing that has me thinking about the place...

I really have to look at this and talk to some people... I think if I get the first job Im going to go to London but if not Iv got some serious thinking to do...

I never really wanted to go to OZ it was down the list on my choices but recently Iv been thinking waiting almost a year to go to Canada is something I dont really want to do... Do I want to live in London while I wait? Im not sure I want to do that either...
Australia was miles down my list now Im thinking maybe I should give it a blast...

I would usually look at; weather, job prospects, medical services, food/sanitation, friendly people, things to do, etc..Australia ticks all the boxes and if you are in a situation where you can move, then it would be a great place to move to.

Ok, have you been to any of the places? Do you know anything about housing costs, visas cost of living. I'm sorry to be boring but I'm a dad , it's my job.

Iv looked at nothing Iv lived in Birmingham before but thats the extent of my working and travelling...

I know enough about London and I know a decent bit about Canada...

Australia I know Im talking maybe 1-1.5 k to get there including the Visa... I know a few who have gone there before me... I havnt had a serious look yet to be honest...

Ok, we'll I know nothing about you, so it's difficult to say, but if you independent, dont hqve to have family next door have skills that are in demand then try Aus, but it's not as cheap as it was to live there

Going on what family have done, I would go to Australia. My nephew has immigrated their from The U.S. He says it's a far better life than The U.S now. He did consider Canada but decided Australia had better options.

Aus is working for him and his family

CDX_EIRE - 19/6/2013 05:58

So I live in Ireland prospects are desperate Im in Construction currently work as junior engineer get paid hardly anything...

I want to leave because I want to travel, be out of my comfort zone and to make some money...

I really want to move to Canada, Calgary to be specific but Im open to other places... Since the Visas are gone this year Iv to wait til next year if I want to go there...

With this in mind I was looking to go to England again to work... Im in for a job in London and if it doesnt work out a contact in work will sort me out with a company in London...
This is where I complicate things another guy in work said he'd help with a contact for Australia... I never really wanted to go there but now Im considering it however if I go that puts a stop to Canada for the foreseeable future...

So what Im asking is how would you decide where to move? My plan was London for the short term a year maybe two then go to Canada but now Im looking at Oz and Im just unsure what I should do...

If you are looking into moving to Australia, there are a couple of options for you. Please bear in mind that Australia has one of the strictest visa requirements of all Western countries.

You can enter on a travelling /working holiday visa for 12 months. You can work at any one employer place for up to 6 months and I believe you can not work more than 9 months in total during that 12 month period.

HOWEVER - this can be extended for an additional 12 months if you perform a set quota of working hours in rural / mining / remote areas. Some of the jobs that can be done to qualify include traffic control (popular with the Irish lasses), fruit picking and any work on a minesite. Typically your less desirable roles - but you can earn good coin doing them. Stepping onto a minesite in Australia generally earns you at least $80,000 p.a.

Whilst you are here on said visa, if you are able to get a permanent job and your employer is willing to sponsor you, then you may be able to obtain a skilled workers / migrant visa - commonly called a 457 visa. Sponsorship is critical and generally quite difficult to obtain. Currently once you have sponsorship, it is not overly difficult to have the government approve your visa.

From my experience, it is much easier for a person to have a 457 visa approved if it is from an intracompany transfer or you are already working for an employer and they are willing to sponsor you. Applications for jobs from outside the country where an employer needs to added cost of sponsorship rarely seem to be successful.

Should the Coalition successfully take government by winning the upcoming election (which is expected), there are proposed legislative changes for employers and businesses in Australia which are going to make it more difficult for 457 visa applications to be successful so if you are wanting to make the move, you should consider getting the ball rolling very soon.

I currently have three staff here on 457 visas so have been through the process a few times.

With the estimated 15,000 Irish already living in Darwin you would fit right in here...

I am not an expert but if you need any more info, let me know and I can try assist.

I moved to Malaysia ten years ago. I was fed up with my hum-drum life and there wasn't anything on the horizon that interested me. I was at the stage with my then girlfriend, the future Mrs Butter, that we were probably going to buy an apartment and I felt I was getting trapped into that life so I wanted to move anywhere else. Mrs Butter is Malaysian so it seemed like a good place to go. At the time Mrs Butter wasn't that keen to move back here and didn't think I'd stay but I love it here. I hope to stay here forever but we'll see what the future brings.

My brother was living in London and got bored with the drinking/drugs so decided to move to Australia. He'd never been there before and didn't really know anyone there but upped sticks and moved. He seems pretty settled in Sydney now.

I guess the best thing would be to visit all of the places you could move to and then decide but that's probably not an option. I think you are probably going to have to take a leap of faith. London is a shit hole though. It's probably alright if you are earning footballer money but I hated it and left after six months.

Great post by Frankus.

These forums really can be great places.

As for the question, I'd go on a holiday to each of them before making up my mind. I realise a holiday is different to actually living/working there, but it is a start.

My thoughts would be job prospects, work visa situation and weather! Oh and the women to men ratio isn't a bad call either, strange for DaveM to say something half sensible!!!!!! :14:

Interesting BodyButter, kept meaning to ask you how come you moved over there. What age were you? I must admit, I'd thought maybe you'd gone with parents / family.

I know nothing about Malaysia I must be honest.

Well Frankus that was comprehensive thank you very much...

I didnt get the job in London, it was a design job and I have no design experience so I wasnt expecting it but the recruiter thought I fitted the bill... However I can still go there if I want...

Anyway I was talking to the guy who would put me in touch with people in Oz he said he has contacts for wherever I want to go and he says everyone he sent over the past 5 years has done well... I think Il have to decide over the weekend when I have time to really put in a good search but the comments have been very helpful guys and given me a bit to consider...

I fear that London will turn into the same crap Im having to put up with now... Low pay to hours ratio, crappy 45min+ train everyday and rubbish work but hey Oz could be just as shit but its an adventure...

Problem is I dont know what I want I need a long hard think about it... IF I go to London itl probably be just for the short term as Il bail as soon as the Canada visa window opens...

Im young enough to go to Oz and make the mistake but Id rather go there in full confidence that it will all work out (like most people I suppose)...

Difficult life decisions... How I hate them...

Edit: Id love to go to Malaysia or Singapore BB I applied for a job there but there is a reluctance by UK recruiters to use non-uk residents applications... Im very flexible about travel Im willing to go anywhere for life experiences and to improve my career but it hasnt worked for me...
Canada and Australia seem to be the best prospects especially with regard to money and still having a life but London is probably next best after them... Thats why Iv looked at these places everywhere else that money can be made or where I could have great experiences seem awfully difficult to into...

Most of my ex colleagues are in China but they are all in Automotive work , something the Chinese are keen to learn .

You could come to Smethwick and compete with the eastern Europeans for the honour of washing my car

I have travelled a lot throughout my life, firstly in the forces, plus holidays and then quite a bit with my work in Europe. I loved the Far East but that was a long time ago. My sister lived in Calafornia for 20 years and I went to stay with her a couple of times. She and brother in law had very good well paid jobs and where they lived was beautiful. If I was looking at Europe I would choose Holland. I used to go there often with my job. The people are amongst the most friendly i have met on my travels. I do not like London one bit and have no desire to even visit the place let alone settle there. It sounds to me mate that you are pretty willing to try most places so why dont you. You are young enough to travel a bit and see where it takes you. You may be suprised where you end up. Only person who knows will be you so good luck where ever you decide.

Its funny how often I hear people hate London, I visited once when I was 9 or 10 and I didnt like it that much... I already have expectations and thats a problem, the foreman on my site said 'London is relentless and you need to prepared for it, however if you can live and work in London everywhere else is a breeze'...

I think by Sunday Il know what I want to do and where I want to go... Saturday is going to be a big research day...
Id say for 90% of people this isnt even a choice they would go to Australia but for me the desire to go their has been very low until very recently (like last week recently)...
Astonian like most comments has edged me closer to Oz... Id like to think OZ will lead me to Thailand and Cambodia for a bit of travel at least... My dad has pushed me to travel for most of my life and said it to me often when I was in college so I want to see as much as possible...

Thanks again guys its nice to have outside advice all the more the better...