How Do We Complete Season 2019-20? - Solutions Thread | Vital Football

How Do We Complete Season 2019-20? - Solutions Thread

simes69

Vital Football Hero
I'm sure we're all thinking about this to a certain degree. With the peak of coronavirus not expected until June it looks unlikely that this season will resume on 3rd April, or indeed any time before mid-summer. So how do we satisfactorily complete the current season?

One suggestion might be to:
1. Complete the current season between 1st August and 30th September with July as 'pre-season'
2. Play season 2020-21 from 1st Jan 2021

Season 2020-21 could be designed either:
1. With only round of fixtures instead of two
Or:
2. By splitting each division in half based on finishing positions and playing two rounds of fixtures home and away but in 10/12 team leagues. Bottom clubs in Pool B leagues would be relegated, top clubs in pool A leagues promoted.

These solutions would have the added benefit of scrapping the league cup, a move that could probably become permanent without too many people noticing.

Early rounds of the FA Cup could double as pre-season friendlies for non league/ Tier 3/4 clubs.

A problem with solution 2 is that the Prem big 6 would probably want to make the split permanent.

I would also consider abolishing this season's play offs to save time, promoting an extra club by league placing instead.

Thoughts - and better ideas?

Average points per game from the games played this season gives you the completed table. It's very unlikely we can complete this season without severe complications. Every team is where they deserve to be after 35 games anyway.

Start the next season with the resulting promotions and relegations as when it's possible.

Last edited:
Average points per game from the games played this season gives you the completed table. It's very unlikely we can complete this season without severe complications. Every team is where they deserve to be after 35 games anyway.

Start the next season with the resulting promotions and relegations as when it's possible.

You have forgotten 2011 obviously

Either play remaining fixtures in the summer (June July August) if we are back in action by then.
Then...Have a further break, up to a month. Then start again. Might be late September by then (all total guesswork).
Then indeed abandon all cups except FA Cup.
That will free up plenty of midweeks to add in catchup league fixtures.

If something like that isn't possible, then voiding this season is best option.
Declaring Liverpool etc as champions is not right. It just so happens they have a fair margin at the moment, but if they were say just a couple of points ahead, I don't think anyone would say it would be fair to give them the title. Well, same should apply irrespective of lead. If they haven't won it then they haven't won it. Simple as that.
Plus they are on a long run of defeats at the moment so theoretically that could have carried on...

No, if season cannot be completed then voiding is only option and eveyone starts again in same divisions. Bury remain thrown out as their circumstances have only got worse not better.
Bolton commence on the minus points they started with last summer.
No one could complain at that. It would just be a season missing from the records.
Just like during the two wars.

Post April 4 play games behind closed doors and finish the season, maybe 1 or 2 weeks late.(THE BAN WON`T BE LIFTED imo.)

Not ideal but we could still get radio playback and ifollow visuals for games plus the usual match pre amble and post match bullcrap......via Lincolnshire radio( Hortin and Thompson) ,plus the MA presser.

FOR THOSE WHO NEVER ATTEND LIVE GAMES THIS PROCESS WOULD BE SEAMLESS................less attractive to those who turn up every week spitting fire.

The pre match anticipation and post match moaning would still be par for the course........... the matches need to be played(testing for players and officials) .GET ON WITH IT.

Revenue losses are another matter and the EFL suits will need to get their arses in gear to deliver a compensation solution otherwise there will be nothing to administer in 2021.
current insurance policies do not cover corona virus.

Last edited:
Post April 4 play games behind closed doors and finish the season, maybe 1 or 2 weeks late.(THE BAN WON`T BE LIFTED imo.)

Not ideal but we could still get radio playback and ifollow visuals for games plus the usual match pre amble and post match bullcrap......via Lincolnshire radio( Hortin and Thompson) ,plus the MA presser.

FOR THOSE WHO NEVER ATTEND LIVE GAMES THIS PROCESS WOULD BE SEAMLESS................less attractive to those who turn up every week spitting fire.

The pre match anticipation and post match moaning would still be par for the course........... the matches need to be played(testing for players and officials) .GET ON WITH IT.

Revenue losses are another matter and the EFL suits will need to get their arses in gear to deliver a compensation solution otherwise there will be nothing to administer in 2021.

You can’t really do that as any time any club staff member/ player shows symptoms and isolates, so does the rest of the club. The likelihood of a full match fixture being able to be played is minimal.

Put all the season stats including current form , injuries etc into a super computer and let it decide the results of the unplayed games !

Government predicting peak epidemic for June, with a fairly long tail. Can't see anything happening much before September.

You can’t really do that as any time any club staff member/ player shows symptoms and isolates, so does the rest of the club. The likelihood of a full match fixture being able to be played is minimal.

But normal business aren't operating that way. I understand things are changing daily but if we can all go to work then why is a game of football behind closed doors impossible? Genuine question.

But normal business aren't operating that way. I understand things are changing daily but if we can all go to work then why is a game of football behind closed doors impossible? Genuine question.

Because, given the current situation of anyone testing positive, or having been around anyone who tests positive, needing to isolate for 14 days, that immediately wipes out squads of players. 80% of let’s call them 40 man squads (players plus coaches and physios etc) are believed to become infected over time. If only one player is infected, but the whole squad has to isolate for 14 days, no game can be played. 2 weeks later, the squad returns, symptom free, but the next day one more squad member tests positive, the whole 14 days begins again- hence no games.

This is just a potential scenario for 1 squad, and you have to time all being ‘clear’ with the opposition!

Players share changing rooms, gyms, showers, canteens etc etc

I just don’t see a plausible way of playing games in the current climate.

Because, given the current situation of anyone testing positive, or having been around anyone who tests positive, needing to isolate for 14 days, that immediately wipes out squads of players. 80% of let’s call them 40 man squads (players plus coaches and physios etc) are believed to become infected over time. If only one player is infected, but the whole squad has to isolate for 14 days, no game can be played. 2 weeks later, the squad returns, symptom free, but the next day one more squad member tests positive, the whole 14 days begins again- hence no games.

This is just a potential scenario for 1 squad, and you have to time all being ‘clear’ with the opposition!

Players share changing rooms, gyms, showers, canteens etc etc

I just don’t see a plausible way of playing games in the current climate.

I understand what you are saying, but as you point out it's all theoretic scenarios at this stage. I guess we'll have to see what the situation is in early April.

I understand what you are saying, but as you point out it's all theoretic scenarios at this stage. I guess we'll have to see what the situation is in early April.

I guarantee you, it is going to be a lot worse.

Rock paper scissors between the managers
1-0 win if you beat the opponent
1-1 draw if you have the same
Can be done at a social distance

Easy peasy

Depends hugely if the season is able to get underway again by around May/June. around 10 games left so play two games a week. A month break then season kicks off again at the start of September. Just means the players have to stay in shape during ‘close season’. Unfortunately I think it has to be finished somehow as there are too many complications if it isn’t, particularly with promotion & relegation.

Last edited:
Depends hugely if the season is able to get underway again by around May/June. around 10 games left so play two games a week. A month break then season kicks off again at the start of September. Just means the players have to stay in shape during ‘close season’.

You have issues though over players out of contract come June. Teams could have completely different squads come September and that would seem to be another unfair issue with it.
Honestly if as likely it can't be done by the end of May either declare the table as it stands as the end of season one or abandon it completely