How are the Tablets? | Vital Football

How are the Tablets?

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
Thought I would start a thread on the latest technological craze the tablet. How are you getting on with them? I have got a Nexus 7 and I am finding that I using it for more things than I every used my laptop. Internet, email, podcasts, photos, games, TV, radio, twitter, it is fast becoming an essential tool for me. The only thing I use my laptop for is doing my book keeping and I could do that on the Nexus if I wanted. So what about you, how are you getting on?

I have two, and use them both every day. I also have a desktop in the office, as sometimes it is just good to have two large screens.

My Android Tablet is best for quick email, reading the news and quick stuff like that. My Windows 8 one is needed for work, as I do use MS Office extensively.

The fact that Skydrive/Dropbox and apps such as Evernote work on everything means I can just use the one best suited for each situation, and they all sync up.

I'd say I probably use my Windows 8 more, but only just and only because of work.

I am amazed how much I use it Heath considering when they first came out I thought they were a bit of a fad.

I bought one of those Blackberry things last summer , used it for a few days , good quality but I'm back on my works laptop now. Not even sure where the Blackberry is to be honest.

Plug my laptop into its base at work and use two screens , bring it home at night don't really need anything else .
I have a sony xperia Z1 with a 5inch screen if i get desperate when I'm out.

I still remember your initial attitude to them, Wurzel!!!

I was an early adopter, getting an Archos Android tablet very early on. VOTN and I had quite a few PM chats about it. It was sluggish and cumbersome compared to today's offers, but I still used it every day.

It's the instantly ready feature that really appealed, and now the size is perfect for my use (8" LG G Pad). I still prefer a proper keyboard if I'm going to type a lot, but you can get loads done on the tablets.

Villan57 - 2/2/2014 13:42

I bought one of those Blackberry things last summer , used it for a few days , good quality but I'm back on my works laptop now. Not even sure where the Blackberry is to be honest.

Plug my laptop into its base at work and use two screens , bring it home at night don't really need anything else .

I'm not sure that Blackberry counts!!! Seriously, I wouldn't judge all Tablets based on their offerings.

The laptop still has it's place. My Windows 8 Tablet has a slide out keyboard, and runs full Windows, so I know it's still useful. However, there are times when the smaller tablets, in particular, are very useful. Doctors surgery, waiting for a train, checking emails while in bed, watching a movie on the plane. They are so light, it's almost silly not to take it to most places with you.

Yes I can say my opinion has altered somewhat. Still they are not right for everyone and people need to be aware of their shortcomings.

Use my apple iPad an awful lot. I like a break from the PC and this is good to surf, keep emails down so I'm not swamped each morning. No good for working, ie publishing articles, find it more fiddly and cut and paste etc a bit if a fath.

But yes, I like tablets, would probably do android next.

Wurzel - 2/2/2014 13:51

Yes I can say my opinion has altered somewhat. Still they are not right for everyone and people need to be aware of their shortcomings.

I think that's the important point. I always describe them to people as a way of extending your desktop away from the desk. I still have NAS at home and Small Business Server at work, both of which are needed for me to do what EOI need with the tablet.

As Fear says, copy and paste, along with multitasking, are cumbersome and fiddly. But for emails, surfing, reading, watching TV/Films and playing Sudoku on the Train, they are brilliant!!!

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 2/2/2014 13:49

Villan57 - 2/2/2014 13:42

I'm not sure that Blackberry counts!!! Seriously, I wouldn't judge all Tablets based on their offerings.

The laptop still has it's place. My Windows 8 Tablet has a slide out keyboard, and runs full Windows, so I know it's still useful. However, there are times when the smaller tablets, in particular, are very useful. Doctors surgery, waiting for a train, checking emails while in bed, watching a movie on the plane. They are so light, it's almost silly not to take it to most places with you.

I bought the Playbook because it was smaller than most plus for £80 it had 64gb and where could you get that on anything with that build quality and 64gb for £79.95 .
I probably don't use it as its just too small for home , I can use my phone when I'm out . I haven't been on a bus or train for years.
I don't play games .
Decided I can live without one for now , although I was tempted to get a phone with a big screen like the samsung note 3or the Sony z1 ultra.

I looked at the Note, but decided on a smaller phone and an 8" tablet. That covers me a little better than just the large phone, but I can see the attraction.

Amazing where we are, that we even have all these choices.

What's the view on these Smartwatches? I'm not sure they are that useful, yet, but I can see some potential.

Not sure what use they are but I would have to play with one to really have an opinion.

All I can see that would be useful is it's facility to act as a Notification device. A quick glance to see who the text or email is from that has just arrived on your phone. In reality, how often is it that inconvenient to just get you phone out? Maybe when driving?

The fitness stuff seems to be the latest craze, so a watch that can track your distance, altitude etc etc could be popular with some. They already exist as stand alone devices, but maybe the option of more features will be attractive.

Maybe there will be more they can do in the future, and I'll see it differently, but right now I'm not that excited, and I'm normally one of the first to try these sorts of things.

Just a few apple features I'm not quite as keen on wurzel, more used to windows and android.

Cut and pasting and a few other things on this one is a bit more fiddly,
Podunk there is much in it.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 2/2/2014 15:41

All I can see that would be useful is it's facility to act as a Notification device. A quick glance to see who the text or email is from that has just arrived on your phone. In reality, how often is it that inconvenient to just get you phone out? Maybe when driving?

The fitness stuff seems to be the latest craze, so a watch that can track your distance, altitude etc etc could be popular with some. They already exist as stand alone devices, but maybe the option of more features will be attractive.

Maybe there will be more they can do in the future, and I'll see it differently, but right now I'm not that excited, and I'm normally one of the first to try these sorts of things.

I can see the smart watches that opperate with their own sim, and as such are independant devices, will be very popular with runners. All they need to do is download runkeeper. If they add a pule meter to the watch then it would be perfect. That said, I'm not a runner so I'll stick to a regular smartphone for the moment.

I haven't used my own laptop for about 12 months. I love my iPad.
I have to use a laptop for work as they won't allow a tablet or phone other than my work blackberry which is an awful phone and awful device.

The Fear - 2/2/2014 16:06

Just a few apple features I'm not quite as keen on wurzel, more used to windows and android.

Cut and pasting and a few other things on this one is a bit more fiddly,
Podunk there is much in it.

I take it "podunk" is an example of the excellent iPad predictive text. lol