How About We Start Playing Like a Home Team, Stevie?! | Page 2 | Vital Football

How About We Start Playing Like a Home Team, Stevie?!

Could someone advise who Wayne was referring to by Oldsmobile and Old Firm Derby in his 10.30am post this morning?

There is nothing wrong with the majority of our players as evident by the extended form at the start of Lovell's reign. Lovell needs to look back then and replicate the system because we are set up different.

Early in the season when Eaves was scoring, I think most of his goals were headers from crosses from primarily the right wing. We don't seem to do that anymore and when he is now on the pitch, we just hit it long and expect him to head it on or back. He can look a nuisance but is actually ineffective.

You have a similar situation for Parker with his first six goals from headers, then a shot and then another header
I might have missed a goal or two out from away matches I missed.

If you are going to play Wilkinson then play him as a support guy behind another striker and pass to his feet. Don't t, as Lovell has been doing, and play him up front flanked allow and then pump high balls up at him.

Going back to the point about Eaves and the nature of his goals, what has happened to the crossing? Looking at the players then we should have Martin and Wagstaff on the wings delivering crosses. Martin has played primarly AM C in Football Manager speak while Wagstaff has been moved around when fit.

Early in the season we played 4-4-2 but effectively switched to 5-3-2 and we thought Lovell tactical genius. We now start with either formation and switch back and forth. It might have been the Blackburn match were Elmer started center back, moved to defensive midfield, then switched back to center back before switching to right back for 5 minutes. Lovell needs to select a settled team and fomation

Our home support is awful. Clueless, grumpy old men who go out of habit. They ruin it every game!

Our home support is awful. Clueless, grumpy old men who go out of habit. They ruin it every game!

Haha! I am guessing the 84 in your name is the year you were born, making you 34ish? Follow the Gills for another 30 odd years and see how much happier you become. You are starting to moan already so you will fit in well! Otherwise get out now man! while you still can. It's an illness that makes us old buggers all go back year after year. You have been warned.
PS The 'going out of habit' is usually caused by buying a season ticket. It's the club's main source of income.

One of the main problems is that O'Neill has yet to recapture the form that made him so dangerous down the right with his free kicks and crosses. Also, Hess was only a marginal player back then and, now because of injuries and suspensions etc, he's become a permanent fixture and a fairly ineffective one at that. We have a very thin squad with little or no depth and players, who are at the top of their game, ie can't improve any further. Bringing back the likes of Oldaker, Oldsmobile or Old Firm Derby is unlikely to make any difference. Even List with his experience made no impact against a poor Oldham side. We've just go to hope SL can get rid of the dross even if that means giving some away and signing those with a bit of experience at our level - not someone from six leagues down.

Haha! I am guessing the 84 in your name is the year you were born, making you 34ish? Follow the Gills for another 30 odd years and see how much happier you become. You are starting to moan already so you will fit in well! Otherwise get out now man! while you still can. It's an illness that makes us old buggers all go back year after year. You have been warned.
PS The 'going out of habit' is usually caused by buying a season ticket. It's the club's main source of income.

Ahh the old, "i am older than you so listen up kiddo" line. Fortunately age doesn't dictate your intelligence or wisdom.

Touchy, touchy. Criticising doesn’t mean I want Lovell out, rather you’ve over-reacted to criticism of a club legend. He’s led us to 8 away wins, which is probably promotion/play-offs form. Unfortunately we’ve only won 4 home games and haven’t won in 7, and it’s down to the way we’re playing. He’ll get us out of this dip, but in the meantime it’s frustrating watch us hoof the ball over the midfield at home from the go.

Whoever you were on Twitter :wave: I must’ve been a right grumpy bags after that loss for you to keep it stored.

Last edited:
''Whoever you were on Twitter :wave: I must’ve been a right grumpy bags after that loss for you to keep it stored.''

Yeah you were :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
:rotfl: Yeah there was a time under Pennock when I would be fucked off with the result and performance. I tend to give managers time - Pennock was always a wrong decision but I hoped it would be ok alongside the continental director-style leadership he wanted. Evidently it wasn’t worth him with PT above him, let alone a Technical Director as was mooted at the start of the season when the former Galatasaray UEFA Cup winner was interested. Looking back it would’ve been more like polishing a turd, but also ridiculous if you’re paying Pennock a reported £400 a week and adding these directors above him. Head coach seems a terrible role for him given his reputation with every team for falling out with so many players.

The fans reactions were stemming my twitter arguments back then. Like how you reacted to my “FFS Lovell, play like a home team” comment, I can’t stand fans who start calling players and managers ***** etc if their ability isn’t good enough for us. The likes of JET maybe, but not club legends as you say. That makes me immediately defensive and often leads to me playing Devil’s Advocate so many times.