Hot Food & General Cooking Thread | Vital Football

Hot Food & General Cooking Thread

TuBBz

Are You Local?
When I'm not cooking up a conspiracy or viewing world peace through the eyes on an Alien I do like a good cook off

I'm especially loving cooking Thai food at the moment with extra spice

My Jamaican Jerk, Rice & Pea is 2nd to none and we have the Caribbean Kitchen in Jersey and mine is tastier than theirs, I'll share the recipe later and talk you through how you to can cook this at home later

1525879629414.png

Does anyone have any nice recipes to share?

Well, that does look good TuBBz, and I'm sure it tastes good too. Mrs P does all the cooking now - I've been made redundant, so I'll have to get Mrs P to write up how she cooks her gorgeous food.

Looks tasty but mention of spice makes me shudder. The stuff the kids eat happily that I can't get a mouthful through always leaves them giggling.

I'll keep a keen eye on this one with a thought to watering stuff down a little lol (well I say me, I mean she).

So the Jerk Chicken Recipe

Here is the spice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0085ONQ5Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Chop 2 large onions and place in the bottom of an ovenproof dish

Place chicken into the tray and liberally sprinkle the jerk seasoning all over the chicken

Put enough water in to cover at least the bottom half of the chicken

If you wish you can marinate the chicken overnight in the spice and be sure to sprinkle some lime juice over the chicken before smothering in the jerk seasoning

Place in the oven and cook for around an hour and a half on 130 degrees

Take out of the oven and pour all the water into a saucepan

Turn the chicken over and sprinkle again but this time put the oven on 180-190 degrees

Cook until the bottom of the chicken is nice and crispy

Turn the chicken 1 more time (you can add a little more spice if you like and cook until the top is nice and crispy

Now that water you poured out will need to be reduced but add half a bottle of your favourite sauce (personally I use reggae reggae sauce)

Once this has been reduced down to a thick sauce its perfect for dipping the chicken in

The Rice - Vitally important that you wash the rice until the water becomes clear, failure to do this will result in your rice sticking together

Most rice will cook perfectly if you use 1:1 ratio of rice and water

Add a can of kidney beans, including the water, this will give the rice a nice pink look. Cook rice for 10-15 minutes depending on instructions and serve with the chicken putting some dipping sauce on the side

Very easy to prepare but tastes delicious

Bread and butter pudding

1526296610155.png

Forget using your old bread on it and painstakingly buttering each slice

Instead, switch the bread for Brioche and a packet of hot cross buns

Absolute Killer pudding with some Madagascar Custard

250ml full-fat milk. Milk. ...
300ml double cream.
1 vanilla pod, halved and seeds scraped out, or 1 tsp vanilla extract.
3 whole large eggs. Egg. ...
3 tbsp golden caster sugar.
Brioche & hot Cross Buns
50g slightly salted butter, softened plus extra for greasing.
75g mix sultanas and currants or other dried fruit.

Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with butter.

Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice with on one side with butter, then cut into triangles.

Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.

Gently warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Don't let it boil.

Crack the eggs into a bowl, add three quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.

Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well, then strain the custard into a bowl.

Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.

Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.

I have never cooked anything in my life.

I don't think I will be able to contribute to this thread lol.

I do all the cooking in our house and all my cooking is about quick, easy and tasty recipes.

Here are a few of my favourites -

Rice Cooker Chicken Biriyani -
http://www.brunchnbites.com/easy-chicken-biryani/

Quick & Easy Chicken & Chorizo Paella -
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/quick-chicken-and-chorizo-paella-105696

Penne with Sausage, Chard(I use Kale) & Pine Nuts -
http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/penne-with-sausage-chard-pine-nuts

Jamie Oliver Beef Kofta Curry -
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-kofta-curry-with-fluffy-rice-beans-peas/

Sausage, Pumpkin(I use Butternut Squash) and Sage Casserole -
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sausagepumpkinandsag_92737

Use those 5 a lot on rotation. All pretty quick and easy to cook and all very tasty,

Thanks mate

I stopped eating meat in December but I can swap some ingredients out

Like the sound of the Biriyani

lol

You've eaten a birdseye steakhouse burger? I bet its got more meat in than 1 of those

Paella, Cantonese curry and my lasagne are the absolute favourites in the KK household. Top of those three would be the Cantonese curry. I am a decent cook though and love to bake. Even though it's just 2nd youngest KK and I at home now I am getting back into the baking as I do enjoy this as wind down.

I am baking some homemade scones for neighbours for Sunday as they are having a small afternoon tea party with MiL who lost her husband a year ago. I said I would pop in but not stop long (can't face it) and bring some scones.

I have always entertained and cooked for others so will continue this in a different way, now, on a weekly basis. With baking I will still do and share out the goodies else I will end up the size of an house if I don't

I'm interested in your Cantonese curry recipe?[/QUOTE

Here you go Tubbz

Cantonese Curry

This serves 4-6 depending on portion size serving for the curry. Reduce /increase ingredients accordingly if making for more or less people.

1 lb mixed meat (chicken, pork, lamb and beef-approx 4 oz of each) or you can just use 1 type of meat

4 oz approximately of prawns (optional)

1 large onion cut into half rings

Small button mushrooms

1 chopped pepper (green or red)

Frozen peas

Garlic (clove or puree)

Salt and pepper

Soya sauce

1 pint boiling water

2 tablespoon of sieved cornflour

2 teaspoons of curry powder(approx)

Fresh coriander (optional)

Virgin oil

Fried rice

2 oz approx of rice per person (soak in cold water for minimum 20 minutes to wash off starch. Rinse and drain

Boiling water with chicken stock cubes/pots x 2 (double amount of water to rice)

2-3 eggs (lightly scrambled)

3 spring onions (chopped)

Soya Sauce

Prawn Crackers (buy them)

Method:
1/ Prep all ingredients so they close to hand and ready to use
2/ Cook the rice according to packet instructions and with instructions for rice above, Leave to rest once cooked, after forking through.
3/ Heat up two tablespoons of virgin oil, Add salt and pepper to the oil and fry for a minute. Then add garlic puree, fry for a minute, followed by onions which again you fry off stirring all the time for a few minutes, followed by the meats and stir frying.
4/ Stir fry in curry powder (two-three teaspoons of medium or/and to taste of heat) and keep stirring.
5/ Add one pint of boiling water, stirring, add also drizzling in soya sauce, keep stirring. Then take the pan off the heat and mix in the cornflour which has been mixed into a little cold paste which is thick but slightly runny. Once the cornflour has been stirred in return to a low heat. keep stirring so it thickens. Add peppers and mushrooms and simmer on a low heat for about 10-15 minutes, add in peas and prawns (if using prawns) continue to cook for a few minutes. Stir in fresh coriander if using. Then turn off the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.

Fried rice:

1/ Heat a tablespoon of oil in another non-stick (preferably) large pan or wok.
2/ Add in the drained cooked rice and quickly keep stirring, add in a few drops of soya sauce, stir thoroughly through the rice, add the scrambled eggs and spring onions. Keep turning over for a few minutes. Remove from the heat. Use a fork to lightly separate and fluff through.

Serve both and add prawn crackers as a side accompaniment if desired and enjoy

Last edited: