Home Schooling | Page 2 | Vital Football

Home Schooling

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
My 8 year old is doing ok, I think. I escape to work and leave the Mrs to deal with the challenge of home schooling whilst also trying to work from home. I normally either come home to either "can't be bothered to do anymore" or complete carnage and an 8 year old and Mrs competing to see who can have the biggest meltdown.

My daughter has the concentration span of a gnat (doesn't get it from me, honestly!) and is quite switched on academically so I'm not go bothered about her education but as Buddha said it's more the social interaction with friends she's missing.

We're lucky in as much as we have enough devices to make home schooling not to bad. Really feel for anyone trying to juggle using just one device and having to share a device between numerous kids

Just been informed she's got a practical science experiment to do, wtf?

My science classes usually used to end in a fireball when I was at school. I may need to check the house insurance to see if it covers home schooling experiments before agreeing to her doing anything like that.

My 8 year old is doing ok, I think. I escape to work and leave the Mrs to deal with the challenge of home schooling whilst also trying to work from home. I normally either come home to either "can't be bothered to do anymore" or complete carnage and an 8 year old and Mrs competing to see who can have the biggest meltdown.

My daughter has the concentration span of a gnat (doesn't get it from me, honestly!) and is quite switched on academically so I'm not go bothered about her education but as Buddha said it's more the social interaction with friends she's missing.

We're lucky in as much as we have enough devices to make home schooling not to bad. Really feel for anyone trying to juggle using just one device and having to share a device between numerous kids

Just been informed she's got a practical science experiment to do, wtf?

My science classes usually used to end in a fireball when I was at school. I may need to check the house insurance to see if it covers home schooling experiments before agreeing to her doing anything like that.

My wife is working from home and has been since last March! Home schooling is only working because I have been furloughed again!

My wife is working from home and has been since last March! Home schooling is only working because I have been furloughed again!

My Mrs 'works' from home when the schools are shut, in normal times that's just holidays, Covid has brought a whole new dimension to it and the Mrs doesn't like it.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home and have a flexible employer, so have the opportunity to do the home schooling thing with my 9 year old boy. In the first lockdown I was all over the place to start with - trying to juggle home schooling with work at the same time and was doing neither. I came to the agreement with me boss that I could block out 2-3 hours in the morning and make up my day's work before and after the home schooling. I must say, this worked a treat and myself and my son nailed most of his home schooling by 11am and he finished his tasks with his nan and grandad (who live in the annex to our house) in the afternoon and I blitz my day job in the afternoon, usually just in time to crack open the beer or wine ritually at 5pm!

I've carried on the same routine this lockdown and it's working even better as the school have a new online schooling/lesson portal which is superb.

Youngest daughter teaches she has been going in to look after vulnerable children,literally all through,leaves hubby behind he is tennis coach so can’t work,says so much better leaving it to hubby,think he is almost suicidal with 4 and 8 year olds
Other daughters with grankids exactly same,trying to fit it in day,one said yesterday out of a class of 30 only 2 other children even bothered to zoom class,or should I have said parents bothered,

Trying to teach my 4-year old is dead easy. Basic reading books, practising her writing, done. Teaching my 8-year old is a hideous undertaking, but I'm determined not to repeat the mistakes of last year which saw arguments and general frustration all round.

The limited educational benefit I can provide is not worth damaging our relationship for. She's a bright kid, and there's plenty of kids where their parents won't even try.

Trying to teach my 4-year old is dead easy. Basic reading books, practising her writing, done. Teaching my 8-year old is a hideous undertaking, but I'm determined not to repeat the mistakes of last year which saw arguments and general frustration all round.

The limited educational benefit I can provide is not worth damaging our relationship for. She's a bright kid, and there's plenty of kids where their parents won't even try.
If the 8 year old doesn't behave, threaten him/her with having to watch the next Gills match on computer. With your Jonah like record that should sort it.

What?! AK's got you doing the dirty work? Where's he, off getting hammered?! ;)

Only joking, both of you. Good Luck with it. :thumbup:
Haha, no gg is talking about his other grand children. Unfortunately for them, mine are having to make do with the Alphabet King as their full time teacher who feels less like an alphabet king every literacy lesson we do.

Actually, home schooling is going far better than it did last time. I feel the schools are far better prepared than last time. My youngest (6yo) has 3 20 minute zoom calls throughout the day introducing the work we then sit with him and do. We email his work over once complete and the feedback is virtually instantaneous and the teacher seems to be always there if we have a question.

My eldest also (13yo), we had battles with him first lockdown. This time though, the school is better prepared. They are expected to log on and follow their lesson timetable closely and hand in pictures of their work for every lesson at the end and they all get feedback same day too. The kids also have taken the initiative themselves and have a class zoom call for them to join while they do their work so if they have any problems they can solve them as a group. Much better than last year when we were stuck trying to help him. Im really surprised they dont mess around more on it than they do. I certainly would have done at that age. Ive only caught them blatantly sharing answers once so far.🤣🤣 weve have very few battles this term. We did have one brief upset when i tried to help in one of his 'creative curriculum' lessons which focused on the miners strikes in the 80s. He didn't see why he'd ever need/care to know about it. I did think of coming on here to get you all to explain its importance to him.

But no getting hammered for me...I must be a glutton for punishment as i have coincided home schooling, and isolation with my wife with dry january! I've actually been on the wagon since new years day.:hammer:

Last edited:
Haha, no gg is talking about his other grand children. Unfortunately for them, mine are having to make do with the Alphabet King as their full time teacher who feels less like an alphabet king every literacy lesson we do.

Actually, home schooling is going far better than it did last time. I feel the schools are far better prepared than last time. My youngest (6yo) has 3 20 minute zoom calls throughout the day introducing the work we then sit with him and do. We email his work over once complete and the feedback is virtually instantaneous and the teacher seems to be always there if we have a question.

My eldest also (13yo), we had battles with him first lockdown. This time though, the school is better prepared. They are expected to log on and follow their lesson timetable closely and hand in pictures of their work for every lesson at the end and they all get feedback same day too. The kids also have taken the initiative themselves and have a class zoom call for them to join while they do their work so if they have any problems they can solve them as a group. Much better than last year when we were stuck trying to help him. Im really surprised they dont mess around more on it than they do. I certainly would have done at that age. Ive only caught them blatantly sharing answers once so far.🤣🤣 weve have very few battles this term. We did have one brief upset when i tried to help in one of his 'creative curriculum' lessons which focused on the miners strikes in the 80s. He didn't see why he'd ever need/care to know about it. I did think of coming on here to get you all to explain its importance to him.

But no getting hammered for me...I must be a glutton for punishment as i have coincided home schooling, and isolation with my wife with dry january! I've actually been on the wagon since new years day.:hammer:

My son's school is better prepared this time too. It's relieved the pressure a bit.

The miners' strike thing with your son is interesting. My son said similar things about the ionic bonding stuff he was learning in chemistry. I sympathise with them really, these things seem so unimportant at that age. At any age really, unless you're actually interested or need to know for your work!

Your final paragraph made me laugh. Hope you make it through the month! I always leave my period of abstinence until lent (if at all!) because it's just too damn cold and dark in January to even contemplate not drinking.

I don’t envy anybody having to home school younger kids whilst keeping safe and navigating the Mrs/Mr with them at home.

My daughter is 19 and first year at Uni of Kent and my son is 16 in the first year of sixth form, but have benefitted from my wife’s recent 10 year career teaching and running degree courses at UCA at Maidstone studios. She has helped them and still does with structure style and content.

My wife and I both have degrees, and she has a PGCE, so we are fortunate. Currently the Mrs works from home and I am a pest controller (dare I say critical worker) so haven’t been furloughed this time as Business is bonkers busy and out and about all the time. So we have ducked the being stuck together syndrome 👍

So good luck Mozzer mate ...keep sane!!

:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh:

I don’t envy anybody having to home school younger kids whilst keeping safe and navigating the Mrs/Mr with them at home.

My daughter is 19 and first year at Uni of Kent and my son is 16 in the first year of sixth form, but have benefitted from my wife’s recent 10 year career teaching and running degree courses at UCA at Maidstone studios. She has helped them and still does with structure style and content.

My wife and I both have degrees, and she has a PGCE, so we are fortunate. Currently the Mrs works from home and I am a pest controller (dare I say critical worker) so haven’t been furloughed this time as Business is bonkers busy and out and about all the time. So we have ducked the being stuck together syndrome 👍

So good luck Mozzer mate ...keep sane!!

:arrghh::arrghh::arrghh:
As a 'Pest Controller" you'd make an ideal teacher.
:-)

Last edited:
I feel for the children, a lot of going to school wasn't necessarily the curriculum but the soft skills too- communication, presenting, seeing their friends ffs.

I've got two children who are both under 4, if they close the nurseries I am fucked.

Having listened in on a week or so of Zoom calls of my son's class, it does not surprise me that girls tend to do better at school.

The girls are pretty outgoing and virtually the only ones who talk on the call. They just seem more engaged, or confident - they are the ones answering the questions, etc. In contrast, my usually chatty and confident son is actually fairly quiet, which is surprising. I barely hear any of the boys at all on the call.

I wonder what academics believe the reasons for girls doing better than boys are.

Having listened in on a week or so of Zoom calls of my son's class, it does not surprise me that girls tend to do better at school.

The girls are pretty outgoing and virtually the only ones who talk on the call. They just seem more engaged, or confident - they are the ones answering the questions, etc. In contrast, my usually chatty and confident son is actually fairly quiet, which is surprising. I barely hear any of the boys at all on the call.

Or maybe girls are just more used to talking over the internet?

My eldest boy (17) is living with me during lockdown and having internet lessons this week, but I wouldn't consider 'listening in" - lessons should be private between teachers and class.

My eldest boy (17) is living with me during lockdown and having internet lessons this week, but I wouldn't consider 'listening in" - lessons should be private between teachers and class.

Depends what age your kids are as to whether you listen in. My 8 year old has had half hour video lessons (like a zoom call) explaining how to do the tasks they are then given to do on seesaw website. All my daughters lessons have been on her laptop in the living room so therefore audible to either me (if I'm here) or the Mrs, mainly so if she asks for help we have half a Scooby do of what they're being asked to do.

Agree with AK about the girls being far more interactive on the video lessons.

Depends what age your kids are as to whether you listen in. My 8 year old has had half hour video lessons (like a zoom call) explaining how to do the tasks they are then given to do on seesaw website. All my daughters lessons have been on her laptop in the living room so therefore audible to either me (if I'm here) or the Mrs, mainly so if she asks for help we have half a Scooby do of what they're being asked to do.

Agree with AK about the girls being far more interactive on the video lessons.
Yep, maybe I misunderstood the ages of the kids. I don't think it would be appropriate to listen in if the pupils are teenagers.

My son is 6.