Pierre Hojbjerg - Player Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Pierre Hojbjerg - Player Thread

Yep, agree. I said this would happen. After project restart happened after lockdown, the guy has been flogged to death by club and country. He will be close to burnout in the second half of this season after getting to the semi's opf the Euros.

He's looking very lumbered when he's playing at the moment. We need to give him a refresh cycle and lower our dependency on him to be our box to box player.

The game is only 90 minutes. How many box to box runs can he complete? 3?

The game is only 90 minutes. How many box to box runs can he complete? 3?

He's more your workhorse, not built for sprinting but seems to recover quick and get going again. I would guess he covers quite a bit of ground. He can also be quite smart about how he uses his stamina and wear down his opposite number.

Not the first team answer for me, but I won't knock the guy for being a good pro and current solid squad member.

He's more your workhorse, not built for sprinting but seems to recover quick and get going again. I would guess he covers quite a bit of ground. He can also be quite smart about how he uses his stamina and wear down his opposite number.

Not the first team answer for me, but I won't knock the guy for being a good pro and current solid squad member.

Fair enough but his thinking is Mourinhoesque.

Certainly worse players at the club. At the moment I don't see how we can't play him.

I think it depends from what perspective you come from. I think there are a few players that would say that IF they had been given the consistent opportunity and stayed injury free then they would have delivered the results. Out of all the peripheral players we chat about, only Moura has been given that consistent opportunity and that has yielded some results. Not good enough results in my opinion, but better than they would have been if he had been messed about like the others have.

Hojbjerg is one that hasn't been messed about and does a steady job. That makes him look better and creates a perception that the others are worse players. They're inevitably not, as Winks showed us on Sunday.

This is why Conte has to stick around for a while and figure this thing out.

I think it depends from what perspective you come from. I think there are a few players that would say that IF they had been given the consistent opportunity and stayed injury free then they would have delivered the results. Out of all the peripheral players we chat about, only Moura has been given that consistent opportunity and that has yielded some results. Not good enough results in my opinion, but better than they would have been if he had been messed about like the others have.

Hojbjerg is one that hasn't been messed about and does a steady job. That makes him look better and creates a perception that the others are worse players. They're inevitably not, as Winks showed us on Sunday.

This is why Conte has to stick around for a while and figure this thing out.

Players like Ndombele and Lo Celso have played under 4 different managers in 2 and a half years. Still haven't nailed down a regular 1st 11 spot.

There are plenty of reasons why but ultimately they have to look at themselves and understand they are the main reason they haven't nailed down a 1st 11 spot.

I don't mind Stevie B and actually prefer him wide over Lucas or Son. His final decision making is poor but feel we look better going forward as a team. He is also better defensively than Lucas and Son.

Dele is finished here imo. He needs a new start. Poch really didn't help with his decline by over playing him.

I don't get the Lucas hype. He just doesn't have the stats to back up the love in. 2 amazing performances in 3 years.

With Kane and Son also on the decline we really need to start up grading if we want cl on a regular basis.

I get why Conte is playing players that give 100%. Minus the front 3 of course. Lol

Players like Ndombele and Lo Celso have played under 4 different managers in 2 and a half years. Still haven't nailed down a regular 1st 11 spot.

There are plenty of reasons why but ultimately they have to look at themselves and understand they are the main reason they haven't nailed down a 1st 11 spot.

I don't mind Stevie B and actually prefer him wide over Lucas or Son. His final decision making is poor but feel we look better going forward as a team. He is also better defensively than Lucas and Son.

Dele is finished here imo. He needs a new start. Poch really didn't help with his decline by over playing him.

I don't get the Lucas hype. He just doesn't have the stats to back up the love in. 2 amazing performances in 3 years.

With Kane and Son also on the decline we really need to start up grading if we want cl on a regular basis.

I get why Conte is playing players that give 100%. Minus the front 3 of course. Lol

I draw no conclusions yet from Conte apart from him liking 3 at the back and wingbacks. I'm expecting personnel to change as time goes on as we all know that this current 11 wins nothing, even with a great tactician.

I can already see Antonio saying things publicly because he's smart and needs to at this stage. He sees the same things as us though, and will be saying very different things to his players in private. At some stage, he will need to say the honest things publicly as well or he will lose face. As an example, I laughed my tits off when he said Kane worked tirelessly. If he had said that he will focus on getting Kane fit so we can get way more out of him, I would have been happier.

All he can do is create a level playing field and meritocracy. The previous managers didn't which is why some players like Moura were given an unfair advantage whilst others saw their careers falter.

I draw no conclusions yet from Conte apart from him liking 3 at the back and wingbacks. I'm expecting personnel to change as time goes on as we all know that this current 11 wins nothing, even with a great tactician.

I can already see Antonio saying things publicly because he's smart and needs to at this stage. He sees the same things as us though, and will be saying very different things to his players in private. At some stage, he will need to say the honest things publicly as well or he will lose face. As an example, I laughed my tits off when he said Kane worked tirelessly. If he had said that he will focus on getting Kane fit so we can get way more out of him, I would have been happier.

All he can do is create a level playing field and meritocracy. The previous managers didn't which is why some players like Moura were given an unfair advantage whilst others saw their careers falter.

One thing's for sure we are in good hands Mutters.

Certainly worse players at the club. At the moment I don't see how we can't play him.

It won't happen, but I'd much rather we pushed Japhet forward into midfield, his strength, his aggression, his tackling ability, an eye for a pass and his speed all tell me that he'd eventually do a far better job there and could make it 'his' role/place rather than at RB or CB..

At least that's what I'd be telling him to aim and where I'd be trying him.

Last edited:
It won't happen, but I'd much rather we pushed Japhet forward into midfield, his strength, his aggression, his tackling ability, an eye for a pass and his speed all tell me that he'd eventually do a far better job there and could make it 'his' role/place rather than at RB or CB..

I questioned the constant selection of Royal at the expense of Japhet just to justify Paraticis pick.

I for one had enough of moving players around the pitch in hope they can learn the trait.

Japhet hasn't proved his body can handle a month of PL football, so this is a moot point anyway.

Emerson, Gil, Reggie, Doherty, Bergwijn, Loco, Sessegnon, Ndombele, Clarke and Sanchez.
Any of them really made it with us ? I know Gil and Sess are for the future but both have serious doubts for me.
I haven't included Romero but he could end up on the list.
That lot comes to approx 300 mil I think. I costed Gil at 30 because Lamela went the other way and must be worth 10 mil ?
How much we in debt....150 mil !!

We have to get better; yes, he scored, but boy is he slow (I'm not sure that comes across on the TV) but it was infuriating how easily he is passed and how poor his positioning was in the first half v Leeds.

I've taken to perversely analysing every time he's involved and then looking at what happens after and feeling vindicated. He was a liability in the first half, and Winks (who was getting pelters on twitter & etc) was doing really well covering for him (and the others) and winning the ball back. Did Hoj make a single tackle or interception in the first half? He for sure gave the ball away a few times.

In spite of that I think he took the goal very very well. Seen a bunch of people say he mishit it, but I think he found the gap and picked his spot well.

I'm desperate for him to stop being in the XI due to his mobility issues and what seems to me like a lack of positional discipline but it's clear Tanguy and Dele aren't taking the place off him, and Winks and Skipp probably too lightweight a partnership. So unless Dier or Japhet or

He's sort of the anti-Sissoko in a way. Not an athlete, slow, doesn't work hard enough getting back, but he's strong in the tackle and actually fairly composed when a scoring opportunity presents himself and seems to have ice running through his veins at times. If you combined them you'd have one of the best DMs/defensive CMs in the world. As it is they're both limited and I'm not wholly convinced Hoj is an upgrade.

I questioned the constant selection of Royal at the expense of Japhet just to justify Paraticis pick.
The thing is Tanga clearly isn't a wing back and in Conte's system it's really a choice between Royal and Doherty, not Royal and Tanga. It's unfortunate for Tanga because defensively he's the best of the three.

Having said that I'm not sure the club see him as an RB. When he and Aurier were vying for that spot the season before last they still brought in Doherty.

I hope the club give him the opportunity to nail down one position. Personally I see him as a central defender. But with Davies added to the back three we now have 6 CBs (Tanga, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Rodon and Davies). Although with Conte playing 3 CBs and Romero out for the foreseeable future, there should still be opportunities.

Staying injury-free for a sustained period is probably his biggest challenge.

I wouldn't be against that ex. I have always thought he could be our Palacios. They are very similar.

I am getting worried about his injuries now though. Like Sess it's really stopping any progression.

I wouldn't be against that ex. I have always thought he could be our Palacios. They are very similar.

I am getting worried about his injuries now though. Like Sess it's really stopping any progression.

It's make or break for Sess now, if he gets the same soft tissue injuries again, I suspect he will be virtually finished in top flight football from what I'm told, even Conte is saying we have to treat him like glass until he's had a run of games.