Hoddle has a degree in stating the bleeding obvious... | Vital Football

Hoddle has a degree in stating the bleeding obvious...

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...s-dont-pay-big-wages-squad-will-be-broken-up/

Glenn Hoddle: If Spurs don’t pay big wages, squad WILL be broken up
In Depth

Harry-Kane-Christian-Eriksen-Tottenham.jpg

Glenn Hoddle believes Tottenham need to start winning silverware and paying higher wages if they are to keep their star players and manager at the club.

Spurs have come on leaps and bounds since Mauricio Pochettino took charge in 2014, dramatically improving the quality of their squad and achieving a number of firsts along the way, including their best ever Premier League finish of second in 2016-17.

However, Hoddle does not believe they will truly be taken seriously until they win a major trophy.

“They need to win silverware, it’s as simple as that,” he says. “I said that last season and I’ll say it again now.

“You want to finish in the top four and you want to get into the Champions League, and that’s important, but if they want to hang on to the manager and all their best players, they need to start challenging for trophies and winning a few.

“I remember when the Spurs team I was a part of won our first trophy with the FA Cup in 1981 and it changes the image of how that team is viewed.

“For the Harry Kanes, the Dele Allis, the Christian Eriksens of this world, they will want to start winning trophies, and it needs to start now because that Spurs team is good enough to challenge for cup competitions.”

• • • •

READ: Comparing Mauricio Pochettino’s first Spurs XI to team which beat Man Utd

As well as the need to win something to keep their players happy, Hoddle believes Spurs may also have to increase their wage limit to stop the vultures from circling in future years.

“The trouble is the wages on offer at other clubs,” he says. “I always used to say the top players were worth every penny of what they get, but when you see players on £250,000-a-week and some on a lot more than that, it’s incredible.

“I never believed we would get to this position, but it’s become the norm now, and if Spurs are not willing to pay their players those big wages, this squad will be broke up, it’s as simple as that.

“Players talk, agents talk and they all know what is available at other clubs. The Spurs chairman (Daniel Levy) would not take a business deal if it was £5million less than a second offer he had on the table. That’s the reality. So they have to be careful.”

Glenn-Hoddle-BT-Sport-2016.17-1.jpg

Hoddle does not, however see Pochettino leaving for pastures new any time toon.

“I’m not too worried about that, so long as he feels the club have an ambition that matches his own,” Hoddle says.

More at the link...

We have to remember that Liverpool came a close 2nd for the title and disappeared into Europa places. Ditto with Chelsea after they won the league. Utd have been struggling to get back since the last league win under Fergie. Arsenal had a decade of top 4 finishes and have fallen down. A crash can happen reasonably quickly even with mostly the same players, so there's no place for complacency even after multiple top 4 finishes.

It's hard to know what will happen after this season. My biggest fear is that we lose younger players like Eriksen at the same time as losing the older generation like Dembele, Toby and Vertonghen. My dad always said that when the 60/61 side broke up each player was gradually replaced by an inferior player. It was painful to watch for him as a season ticket holder. We've seen a little bit of that already at full-back.

Ultimately, what Hoddle said is not totally true but when a Spurs legend speaks, I'm hoping the club are listening. The lack of activity in the transfer window and the stadium delays are gone now. Looking backwards helps nobody in life. Looking forwards and getting the key contracts signed is what should be highest priority for Levy, Poch and co. I'm no longer interested in hearing that the club are working on these new deals. Like on the pitch, it's about results.

Despite Hoddle's legendary status as a player, his punditry is just awful. In fact, he exemplifies the North American expression "dumb jock".

Despite Hoddle's legendary status as a player, his punditry is just awful. In fact, he exemplifies the North American expression "dumb jock".
It would be very inaccurate description of him: tone deaf certainly,arrogant, hell yes but not at all a dumb jock. bar venabels he is the best coach the England team had since Ramsey. He reads the game very astutely ( against Croaita he immediately saw what Southgate/Holland didn't and where we would be undone). It's the human elements he is useless at. I'd still have him in a stand watching the play in tournament on a radio to the bench.

It would be very inaccurate description of him: tone deaf certainly,arrogant, hell yes but not at all a dumb jock. bar venabels he is the best coach the England team had since Ramsey. He reads the game very astutely ( against Croaita he immediately saw what Southgate/Holland didn't and where we would be undone). It's the human elements he is useless at. I'd still have him in a stand watching the play in tournament on a radio to the bench.

Hmmmm....I will revisit my opinion over the next few months. :thumbup:

I actually like his punditry. His co-commentary works for me.

In the current setup, my favourite pundit is still Souness. My worst is probably Carragher who just talks absolute nonsense most of the time.

Back to the topic, the only way this can be solved is to introduce a salary cap per individual. No player should be able to earn more than 150k per week, it’s just ludicrous!

Obv won’t happen, but a leveller is needed somewhere, somehow!

Look at lower level F class motor racing where the cars are all the same. It’s the driver that either wins or doesn’t. A complete leveller compared to F1.

Back to the topic, the only way this can be solved is to introduce a salary cap per individual. No player should be able to earn more than 150k per week, it’s just ludicrous!

Obv won’t happen, but a leveller is needed somewhere, somehow!

Look at lower level F class motor racing where the cars are all the same. It’s the driver that either wins or doesn’t. A complete leveller compared to F1.

I think the football pitches and the balls are all the same....well roughly. :nerner: