Hire cars | Vital Football

Hire cars

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

Yet another example of profiteering. We are heading to Blighty for Christmas and New Year and as is our routine we plan to hire a car for the stay. However, during this period the prices double, triple and even quadruple. Pure profiteering, it's not like the hire companies costs increase or the conditions of hiring improve at that time of year, they just rip people off as they know that many are dependent on them and willing to pay whatever they must to ensure a hassle free Christmas.

I'm seriously considering taking the bus purely on principle. If anyone has any better suggestions please let me know, we are a 5 person family with lugguage so need a good sized estate or bigger.

Or a bike lol

Anybody you know with a spare you could borrow? Agree though, blatant profiteering, nothing more or less guised under the supply and demand argument isn't it.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309048623680/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/xsara_picasso/make/citroen/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/b440pa/page/1?logcode=p

sorted......

500 quid all in and flog it before you go.

Wouldn't this just be supply and demand? More demand around seasonal holiday peaks?

The Fear - 18/9/2013 21:54

Wouldn't this just be supply and demand? More demand around seasonal holiday peaks?

Jonathan let him have the Vital Villa BMW for a few weeks.

col8 - 18/9/2013 22:50

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309048623680/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/xsara_picasso/make/citroen/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/postcode/b440pa/page/1?logcode=p

sorted......

500 quid all in and flog it before you go.

I've seriously considered buying a car but one main use for the car is to travel between Heathrow and Solihull so buying on arrival and selling before leaving is not a realistic option. My other thought was to buy and keep a car in the UK, even if it's only used once a year, it would definitely save me money over a couple of years. The problem being, where would I keep it? No good keeping it in Solihull as I need it from the airport and airport parking is too expensive.

The Fear - 18/9/2013 22:54

Is not vastly inflated prices due to such circumstances the very definition of profiteering? It's not like a holiday at peek time as holidays a peek times tend to offer better quality in terms of weather and/or facilities.

I know what you are saying Villan but not sure i agree. They must have quiet times as well, just peaks and troughs. As said, supply and demand, they must know the demand will be such that they will get that price.

Not nice, but just business.

Col8. :22:

:17:

Green Tea - 18/9/2013 23:24

Why Heathrow, cant you get a flight to B'Ham?

Nope. If I could I would but no one currently flies from any Norwegian airport to Brum. The last to do so were Ryanair but that stopped 3-4 years ago

Have you considered asking for divine intervention
Or a lift?
Seriously though, is it purely for the he's throw journey or to get you around whilst in the UK?

Yup, both really but mainly to get around. Apart from anything else, without a car it's difficult to meet up with Fear and mess with his poppadoms (no that's not a euphemism)

Still, there's always taxis and when most trips are local it might be better to get the bus up/down and then use taxis.

I've bitten the bullet and booked a car. The price was not as scary as it might have been as I used a companies price guarantee to get a better deal, they dropped from a total of over £800 to a total of just over £600. It' still a lot compared to what we normally pay but a £200 saving is the best I could do and in reality not to be scoffed at.

It would be interesting to know what your entire taxi bill would be for the whole trip if you took a taxi from Heathrow to Solihull and back and around your other holiday destinations

Or hiring a chauffeur for the duration of the holiday. Im sure someone would be glad of a bit of cash in hand around Christmas time.

AntonVilla - 20/9/2013 22:38

It would be interesting to know what your entire taxi bill would be for the whole trip if you took a taxi from Heathrow to Solihull and back and around your other holiday destinations

As there is 5 of us travelling we can't use a mini-cab so it would be a Hackney carriage or caravelle type of vehicle. Last time I enquired about a similar journey, Solihull to Stansted, I was quoted 250 to 300 one way but that was not travelling at night, which we will be doing on this occasion, so I'd be surprised to see change from 650 without thinking about the other journeys we'll be taking during the 2 weeks we'll be staying.

Villan Of The North - 22/9/2013 20:31

AntonVilla - 20/9/2013 22:38

As there is 5 of us travelling we can't use a mini-cab so it would be a Hackney carriage or caravelle type of vehicle. Last time I enquired about a similar journey, Solihull to Stansted, I was quoted 250 to 300 one way but that was not travelling at night, which we will be doing on this occasion, so I'd be surprised to see change from 650 without thinking about the other journeys we'll be taking during the 2 weeks we'll be staying.

Train? Is there a connection at the airport for, like Manchester?