Hire cars | Page 2 | Vital Football

Hire cars

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
Train was over £100 for just me. Bus was a viable option but it's not all about the money, we have to get around for 2 weeks as well, probably including a trip to Herefordshire and one to Hertfordshire visiting family. Besides, Heathrow has no Railway station, it's serviced by the tube so it would mean a trip across London with suitcases and all before even getting on the train and even then, our arrival at Heathrow would mean waiting until the next morning, so that would involve a hotel too.

Villan Of The North - 22/9/2013 20:31

AntonVilla - 20/9/2013 22:38

It would be interesting to know what your entire taxi bill would be for the whole trip if you took a taxi from Heathrow to Solihull and back and around your other holiday destinations

As there is 5 of us travelling we can't use a mini-cab so it would be a Hackney carriage or caravelle type of vehicle. Last time I enquired about a similar journey, Solihull to Stansted, I was quoted 250 to 300 one way but that was not travelling at night, which we will be doing on this occasion, so I'd be surprised to see change from 650 without thinking about the other journeys we'll be taking during the 2 weeks we'll be staying.

That is a lot, but you have to factor the petrol you will be spending on top of your hire car cost, when making a comparison, if you spend £100 on petrol added to your £600 hire cost and you could get taxi to do the round trip for £500, that leaves you £200 for the other taxi trips and no worries about drinking or parking or damage to the hire car

True Anton but you also have to factor in the value of convenience and the fact that I don't drink. Lol

I reckon that we will use about 100 on fuel and that, if we were to use taxis we would spend, in total, about 1000 with trips to both Herefordshire and Hertfordshire, not to mention local trips, so even if I'm wrong about the 100 in fuel and that gets doubled, I'm still winning. Factor in local trips too and I'm way ahead hiring. Buses could possibly save money but that really restricts, something I discussed with my wife and we decided that it was worth the extra outlay.

Villan Of The North - 23/9/2013 03:56

True Anton but you also have to factor in the value of convenience and the fact that I don't drink. Lol

I reckon that we will use about 100 on fuel and that, if we were to use taxis we would spend, in total, about 1000 with trips to both Herefordshire and Hertfordshire, not to mention local trips, so even if I'm wrong about the 100 in fuel and that gets doubled, I'm still winning. Factor in local trips too and I'm way ahead hiring. Buses could possibly save money but that really restricts, something I discussed with my wife and we decided that it was worth the extra outlay.

Ha, that clears that up then, far too many trips to be worth it, convenience is essential on a family holiday, I know I'd be hiring the car, just occurred to me it might be close if you weren't doing a lot of trips when you got here. We are off to Ireland for 2 weeks soon on a family seeing trip and we will certainly be driving, taking the ferry option :184: