Hillsborough | Page 3 | Vital Football

Hillsborough

Long time since I've been. Despite living in Sheffield for 6 years in the 70's I mostly went to Bramhall Lane or Millmoor if unable to follow the Imps.

1622901206559.png

The Sun on Sunday (yes, I know) reports today that Sheffield Wednesday hasn't paid its players in full for 4 months and now owes them around £12 million in back pay and loyalty bonuses.

There's also a loan repayment of £7m, secured on the stadium, due for repayment in September.

Meanwhile, it was revealed that despite the threat of relegation - eventually confirmed - Barry Bannan was given a new contract on £27,000 per week.

Long time since I've been. Despite living in Sheffield for 6 years in the 70's I mostly went to Bramhall Lane or Millmoor if unable to follow the Imps.

View attachment 49318

Yes I remember that game, played in thick fog towards the end? Didn’t Utd take nearly 20k or something daft like that ... after Denis Law’s back heel for City had relegated them on the Final Day of the 73/74 season?

CD93621C-1CC7-4737-993D-C2ADA7518DE7.jpeg

The Sun on Sunday (yes, I know) reports today that Sheffield Wednesday hasn't paid its players in full for 4 months and now owes them around £12 million in back pay and loyalty bonuses.

There's also a loan repayment of £7m, secured on the stadium, due for repayment in September.

Meanwhile, it was revealed that despite the threat of relegation - eventually confirmed - Barry Bannan was given a new contract on £27,000 per week.
I wonder how much HMRC will end up losing when it all concludes, if these reports are correct?! If all of this is true, it really is time for the authorities to make an example of a club. Not fair on the fans, for sure, but it really is time harsh lessons were dished out.

Yes I remember that game, played in thick fog towards the end? Didn’t Utd take nearly 20k or something daft like that ... after Denis Law’s back heel for City had relegated them on the Final Day of the 73/74 season?

View attachment 49333

Denis Law's backheel did not relegate United...
https://www.goal.com/en-qa/news/myt...-manchester-united/1ncacsocj8mo31bt1pkngtbvlf

Law felt as if he had relegated United. And that's how the story has so often been told.
In reality, though, his goal was irrelevant. Even if United had won, it wouldn't have saved them from relegation as Birmingham beat Norwich to ensure their survival.

Plus the money they owe season ticket holders who chose to cancel in 2019-20. No idea how much that amounts to, but they have delayed payment of it because of poor cash flow.

A very heavy can being kicked down the road.

Plus the money they owe season ticket holders who chose to cancel in 2019-20. No idea how much that amounts to, but they have delayed payment of it because of poor cash flow.

If a few Wendies at work are correct, no reduction in ST prices after relegation either. I've not checked, but they are pretty normal lads that told me.

Denis Law's backheel did not relegate United...
https://www.goal.com/en-qa/news/myt...-manchester-united/1ncacsocj8mo31bt1pkngtbvlf

Law felt as if he had relegated United. And that's how the story has so often been told.
In reality, though, his goal was irrelevant. Even if United had won, it wouldn't have saved them from relegation as Birmingham beat Norwich to ensure their survival.

Haha ... I can assure you that it did.

Everyone inside Old Trafford that day left thinking it had. Why else would they have lit a fire in the Stretford End, and invaded the pitch as wannabe rampaging Bay City Rollers twice, to try and get the game abandoned?

It was only later that they realised that they were relegated even if they had won and have clutched onto that straw ever since.

As Gerald Sinstadt eloquently exclaimed “And Denis has done it” ... Shang-a-lang! 💙

They also sold some 15 year season tickets - another massive red flag - with the clock on those not even starting until Wednesday reach the EPL.

Looks like, in theory, the fans who stumped up about 6k each for those won't have to pay for another ticket ever..... unfortunately that probably won't be for as long as they were hoping.

Paying today's bills out of tomorrow's income has always been a dangerous game. Football has often operated that way, but there are varying degrees of it.

AFC Wimbledon are flogging 25-year season tickets for £10,000, fully transferable. Given their COVID losses and the eyewatering short-term bridging loan stadium debt, you can see why they have to raise a lot of money quickly. However, they also have money due to be repaid on bonds in the intermediate term - how are they going to cover that? They are already talking of themselves as a Premier League club, which is beyond deluded at this point. An even heavier can being kicked even further down the road.

:eek::eek: Since knowing they'd be in League 1 - still either way if they're 'paying' him that at this level then it's ridiculous (obviously).

Can't the players legitimately walk away from their contracts now then having not been paid for so long?

They also sold some 15 year season tickets - another massive red flag - with the clock on those not even starting until Wednesday reach the EPL.

Looks like, in theory, the fans who stumped up about 6k each for those won't have to pay for another ticket ever..... unfortunately that probably won't be for as long as they were hoping.
It's worse than I thought. The more I read the more it seems plausible that their very existence as a club could be in jeopardy.

It's a huge club with a rich history so I hope it doesn't come to that. Not that I wish that fate for any club.

Haha ... I can assure you that it did.

Everyone inside Old Trafford that day left thinking it had. Why else would they have lit a fire in the Stretford End, and invaded the pitch as wannabe rampaging Bay City Rollers twice, to try and get the game abandoned?

It was only later that they realised that they were relegated even if they had won and have clutched onto that straw ever since.

As Gerald Sinstadt eloquently exclaimed “And Denis has done it” ... Shang-a-lang! 💙

That's not the facts though is it? Regardless of what anyone "thought"

That's not the facts though is it? Regardless of what anyone "thought"

My uncle John (RIP) and countless other blues who I’ve met over the years who were there that day say different.

I’ll take their actual matchday experience over someone quoting a Daily Mail article as FACT thanks 😁

My uncle John (RIP) and countless other blues who I’ve met over the years who were there that day say different.

I’ll take their actual matchday experience over someone quoting a Daily Mail article as FACT thanks 😁

There's your problem then... :p