Hignett's Legacy? | Vital Football

Hignett's Legacy?

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
An attack minded team devoid of the grit to protect any advantage gained from their good play.

Hopefully, Challinor can instill some backbone and / or recruit players capable of seeing games out - without blunting the attacking capabilities.

Another gut wrenching loss though I console myself by saying two goals were lost from goalkeeping errors, Raines didn't play and Kioso was playing as a central defender which is not his best position. Also, ultimately the FA Trophy is not that important to us. Another thing is, this latest debacle has alerted Challinor to the shortcomings of this team when it comes to seeing out leads: panic almost always sets in and the only way to finally sort it is to bring in some better defenders. I'm sure he will try to do this within the constraints of the budget.

Judging by the comments attributed to Challinor in the Mail, I suspect one or two of our players will be heading for the exit door in the near future.
It would appear that the issues of wilting when under pressure are, at long last, to be addressed.

"My actions will speak louder than words". The article is just what we need to hear but I guess financial constraints may be a barrier. Just to speculate, who do you think Challinor thinks is most palpable for our inability to defend leads? My guess is Kerr and Kitchen. Maybe further up the field he could be looking at Featherstone? Obviously Dimi is unlikely to play again but at 41 years old that is hardly a surprise. What do you think is in the frame OP?

I suspect that Challinor would like to make wholesale changes to the squad, but won't be able to until the end of the season.
In the meantime, I'd anticipate him bringing in a new centre half to replace Kerr, a left back for Kitching, in midfield I'd anticipate that both Featherstone and Donaldson will be sidelined. With the injury to James, there aren't a lot of options in the forwards already. But a bustling centre forward to hold the ball up would be good.
Players, like Kennedy - who doesn't challenge for a start - Williams - who will never be fit enough to start- need to be offloaded asap.

I can't see Pools getting into the playoffs with the current squad!

I agree Williams is obviously crocked and has demonstrated over the last 16 months that he will never be fit enough to play professional football. Both Featherstone and Donaldson have made valuable contributions this season but tend to go missing when the chips are down. Kerr can be very good at times but he does tend to panic and Kitchen is just not very good at defending. The play offs don't seem likely with us not able to put together a decent sequence of three point games mainly due to defensive frailties. All things considered I think you are right. Do you not see Kabamba as a "bustling centre forward"?

Kabamba is a decent forward, full of running, wins aerial possession and gets his share of goals. However, a bustling centre forward who dominates centre halves he is not!

I suspect that Challinor would like to make wholesale changes to the squad, but won't be able to until the end of the season.
d!

Once again we are talking about wholesale changes when there isn't much wrong. We have recently won away games scoring 4 and 5 goals and beaten a decent L2 side. We have also won games when coming from behind. The loss to Harrogate was, unfortunately, almost entirely down to Dimi.

There seems to be a bit of a mind games issue that is for the manager/coach to sort out. That's where Challinor will earn his salary.

That's not to say that some changes to personnel won't go amiss.

To an extent I agree with Block Sands appraisal, however, Challinor's assessment of a lack of leadership is, I believe, justified and is an issue going back several seasons.
I think every manager from Dave Jones onwards, there's been several, has stated the need for more leaders in the squad - and have failed to recruit any!

If the loss at Harrogate was an isolated incident I wouldn't be bothered but on a number occasions this team has caved when under pressure. Fylde 2 all after we were 2 goals up, Notts County the same scenario, Ebbsfleet same again, then Harrogate. We have players who panic when under pressure and Challinor has recognized this and is trying to do summat about it. I'm with him all the way.

After yesterday's result, I think my assessment still holds true - Pools have got decent, skilful players, however when they are pressured not only do they fail to win their individual battle's they lose all cohesion as a team.
I feel sure that we will finish the season in mid table, but I do worry that if we get into a losing rut there isn't the character within the squad to turn things around! (One team always goes on a losing run from mid table security to get relegated)