High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk | Page 22 | Vital Football

High Street Stores & Other Businesses At Risk

Topshop and three other Arcadia retail brands will permanently close stores as Asos confirmed it has sealed a £265 million takeover on Monday morning.

The online fashion retailer is buying Topshop, Topman, Miss Selfridge and HIIT.

https://www.redditchadvertiser.co.u...res-set-close-asos-complete-takeover/?ref=rss

The hardest hitting so far for me, and there have been a few. No way back for the high street in its current form. High streets will become darker, dingier and less safe with less footfall.

Rents need to reduce, and business rates cut too. We’ll probably start seeing shops become entrances or downstairs gym to apartment blocks above it.

The hardest hitting so far for me, and there have been a few. No way back for the high street in its current form. High streets will become darker, dingier and less safe with less footfall.

Rents need to reduce, and business rates cut too. We’ll probably start seeing shops become entrances or downstairs gym to apartment blocks above it.
Or Turkish Barbers

GOT to re-invent the high street. Redditch is re-doing all the paving during Feb, got grants to do a lot of re-generation, it is needed, it will look great, but all the shops are empty. They could have some lovely living accommodation around there, looking out over the Church, and from that, you need a Tesco/Sains Local type of shop, a coffee shop, as you say, maybe a gym and on you go....

My local high street is looking to remove some of the pedestrianisation in an attempt to change things. With the collapse of Arcadia it has now lost another 2 of its main stores. The high street has to evolve if it is to survive. I've always said that it has to provide reasons other than just shopping to encourage people down there and away from the out of town retail parks etc.

Not quite 'High Street' but as good a place as any to post this rare bit of positive news.

Shame it will not lead to any new jobs though.

The owner of Cadbury is set to return more of its Dairy Milk production back to its historic Bournville factory.

Mondelez International - which owns the chocolate brand - said some production in continental Europe would return to the UK.

Announcing a £15m investment at the Birmingham site, the company said from 2022, 125 million more Dairy Milk bars would be manufactured there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55938419

Not quite 'High Street' but as good a place as any to post this rare bit of positive news.

Shame it will not lead to any new jobs though.

The owner of Cadbury is set to return more of its Dairy Milk production back to its historic Bournville factory.

Mondelez International - which owns the chocolate brand - said some production in continental Europe would return to the UK.

Announcing a £15m investment at the Birmingham site, the company said from 2022, 125 million more Dairy Milk bars would be manufactured there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55938419

Can they make it taste like it used to.

Asda says it has begun consulting with workers over a major restructuring of the business which could put about 5,000 jobs at risk, including 3,000 non-store jobs.

Proposed cuts would include in areas such as cash management, where there is less work as more people shop online. The company said it planned to create 4,500 jobs as it expands its online offering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56185236

Asda says it has begun consulting with workers over a major restructuring of the business which could put about 5,000 jobs at risk, including 3,000 non-store jobs.

Proposed cuts would include in areas such as cash management, where there is less work as more people shop online. The company said it planned to create 4,500 jobs as it expands its online offering.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56185236

That's certainly unexpected given how they did the buy in deal!

Asda are trying to recreate the business model of a large scale Aldi, low cost and simple operation. U.K. grocers can’t do it because they don’t want to take the costs out that Aldi and Lidl have managed the expectation with consumers, for example going around and scanning out of stocks. The Germans don’t care, they’re not paying someone £10 an hour to check.

It seems a huge amount of roles to remove, I can’t believe they will actually get rid of even half of those numbers quoted in head office, that’s a huge number.

GOT to re-invent the high street. Redditch is re-doing all the paving during Feb, got grants to do a lot of re-generation, it is needed, it will look great, but all the shops are empty. They could have some lovely living accommodation around there, looking out over the Church, and from that, you need a Tesco/Sains Local type of shop, a coffee shop, as you say, maybe a gym and on you go....
Its what city centres need, people living in them, bring them back to life again, not just areas infested with drunks and criminals.

Read another article about how they are buying it with a high percentage of debt. Looks dead not dodgy, err.. dicey to me!

Said earlier, I'm not sure how deals like that are considered kosher - you shouldn't be able to lend in that way against something you are yet to own.

Without meaning to go on a tangent, for all I thought I knew about banks and markets though, Devil's has been a massive eye opener (as was Billions at points as I looked deeper) at just how shambolic and ridiculous things can get.

So pleased this is two private citizens that have purchased Asda, because we would never have heard the last of this if it had been a bank, or venture capitol group that were doing this.

I actually wonder if it's the other way round. This is clearly a common place fudge - I think in some ways it's got more traction in the press because it is two UK lads and the consensus is, this is only a fudge only the 'big, traditional boys' should have access to.

Much in the way the Gamestop shenanigans only hit the news because it was normal plebs playing the big boy fudge.