He's one of our own... | Vital Football

He's one of our own...

Spesh-Spur

Vital 1st Team Regular
I lay in bed last night thinking what a great squad we now have, depth in every position for the first time since ...well a long time, as I sure as hell can't remember the last time we had as much quality all across the pitch!

So, the question is, should we continue on this (dare I say) upward trajectory, win a cup and finish top four this season, do you think Harry Kane will extend his contract with us?

I know there is along way to go, but I personally see no reason why he wouldn't. JM is instilling that nasty streak, the attitude that they all fight for each other and a 110% commitment attitude throughout and the more I see of Jose behind the scenes, the more I am liking him and see why so many respect him so much.

A lot of us thought (me included) that it was time for the club to cash in and for HK to move on, but his recent performances have swiftly quashed any of that speculation.

So, win a trophy, finish top four and he stays?

Great thread.

There have been very few "one club men" over the years. Could Harry be one?

Makes you wonder what that new contract has to look like and how quickly we can get to genuinely competing for titles and CL under Jose.

Then you have the Harry, Katie and kids dynamic. It's currently pre-school times and the oldest is now 3. Will Katie want her family around her?

Then of course you have those Prem and Spurs goalscoring records.

Who knows what Harry will do.

If is the operative word here; I know from his brother that Harry is desperate to win silverware. If he can do it with us, this season it will probably have a huge impact on his decision making about his future.

That said he wants to be in the mix at the CL business end of the season, and if we can't secure that my personal feeling is that he'll still be off.

The other big issue is this: we all know that in Spain the top stars earn vast sums; we are never going to pay Harry £4-600k per week.

He'll be told by his advisors that even two seasons of that sort of money and global exposure will transform his finances and his future sponsorship opportunities across the World.

So for me, unless we win silverware this season and get into the CL next, I can't see him staying, but of course we're in a covid World and the finances in Spain are now looking very different - across Europe the spend was down by around 2 Billion - yes, Two Billion!

I'd of course love the best case scenario to come a reality, but can anyone seriouslly see us paying that sort of wage?

Nope, nor can I.

Last edited:
It’s really exciting times .
Has Harry ever said he wants a new challenge . ‘Everybody’ in the media seems to want to say he wants to go somewhere .
Sure it would be easy to go to Spain and pick up cheap trophies but is that the be all and end all of being a footballer . It’s not like he isn’t earning well here .
The club have looked after him for a long while , he is one of our own .
talking of one of our own , Winksy has been at the club nearly twenty years !

It’s really exciting times .
Has Harry ever said he wants a new challenge . ‘Everybody’ in the media seems to want to say he wants to go somewhere .
Sure it would be easy to go to Spain and pick up cheap trophies but is that the be all and end all of being a footballer . It’s not like he isn’t earning well here .
The club have looked after him for a long while , he is one of our own .
talking of one of our own , Winksy has been at the club nearly twenty years !

A footballers career is short; 'after football' starts loomimg large when you get to your late 20's, he and his advisors will want to earn the maximum that they can - and being in a CL winning side really out-balances what we deem as cheap silverware in a non-competitve league.

There is another big issue as well - generally, (Bale being the exception) because la liga has few highly intensive games, you get less injuries and can extend your career - some say it's simply the warm weather conditions, which I suspect has a big impact too.

The more I think about it, the less I think he'll stay, no matter what we do, unless we win the CL next year.

Last edited:
I think it depends also on his family life. If his partner wants to stay in UK near her family, money counts for nothing and also how much money does one need to feel comfortable about the future? Depends if you are a shallow, or greedy or willing to put happiness over dosh. I can understand Kane wanting to have afew medals and that is a good reason to leave if we cannot do that as a club....

I think it depends also on his family life. If his partner wants to stay in UK near her family, money counts for nothing and also how much money does one need to feel comfortable about the future? Depends if you are a shallow, or greedy or willing to put happiness over dosh. I can understand Kane wanting to have afew medals and that is a good reason to leave if we cannot do that as a club....

We shouldn't really ignore the fact that anyone of the big 4 clubs could also pay him a sum we will never get near.

An agents primary job is to maximise the income of their client, and I've yet to meet an agent yet who advised their client to accept less than 50% of their potential earning by staying at one club.

Sorry, unless we leap in the success stakes, I simply can't see him staying.

Why don’t we wait to see if the recent improvements in performance and results actually can be sustained before speculating about Kane’s future...if we are mid-table after Christmas, have lost to Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool I don’t think a Carbauo or FA cup will be enough to make him want to stay...sorry, shouldn’t speculate.

I've said all along that he was gone at the end of this season regardless, now I genuinely believe we have a chance of keeping hold of him...IF we win a trophy.

If we progress and say win a FA cup/Europa league and improve in the league why wouldn't he want to stay.

EX, the career is short line when someone earns 200k a week doesn't wash. It's a total nonsense line. It's damn right disrespectful to the normal people as well.

The silverware bit I get, but the money one just doesn't wash. He is already set up for life and so are all his close friends and family. He could retire now and never have to work again.

I can't see him letting go of the premier league goal record. Ours maybe, but only for silverware.

100% with you there Greavsie.

Our Arry is one of our own, he is going nowhere!

He is setting himself up to be "THE ALL TIME SPURS LEGEND".

AS I said previously Our Arry is one of our own and if! and I mean if! he wants to leave, no way will it be to another English Club, he is a Spurs man, simple as that, he will go abroad, but that's only if his missus lets him lol! and he/she want to leave their close knit family behind.

AS I said previously Our Arry is one of our own and if! and I mean if! he wants to leave, no way will it be to another English Club, he is a Spurs man, simple as that, he will go abroad, but that's only if his missus lets him lol! and he/she want to leave their close knit family behind.

This is true, I bet he (and his family) really do not want to leave Tottenham/London. He will probably feel he has to due to him deserving medals but lets see where we are in a years time...

As much as it would hurt I certainly wouldn't begrudge him a move that's for sure. He is one player I couldn't hate after leaving us

Option A - we win nothing. Then I think he's gone.
Option B - we win something. Kane then feels like he has done his bit at Spurs and so moves on.
Option C - we win something and have a team that looks like it will be competitive at the business end of the year. He might stay then.

Really it comes down to this year, if we win something and qualify for next year's CL.
Not sure a Carling cup win alone would be enough to convince him that he can fulfill his dreams here.
If we do well in the league and win something like the Europa League or FA cup then I think that's the only chance of him thinking we are in a position to really push on and actually compete with the big boys again.
But even it that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels that that is the ceiling of what can be achieved here in his career.

Option A - we win nothing. Then I think he's gone.
Option B - we win something. Kane then feels like he has done his bit at Spurs and so moves on.
Option C - we win something and have a team that looks like it will be competitive at the business end of the year. He might stay then.

Really it comes down to this year, if we win something and qualify for next year's CL.
Not sure a Carling cup win alone would be enough to convince him that he can fulfill his dreams here.
If we do well in the league and win something like the Europa League or FA cup then I think that's the only chance of him thinking we are in a position to really push on and actually compete with the big boys again.
But even it that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels that that is the ceiling of what can be achieved here in his career.

I agree, would be criminal if we left without a trophy, so even if we do win a League Cup (or better) I would feel much more happy with him leaving with something to show for his career with us. Too many quality players for us over the last 10 years have been and gone with nothing to show for it.

Personally I'm not giving Harry leaving a second thought, I honestly believe that our chances of winning something under Jose is much higher than under Poch.
We'll win something and qualify for CL, Bale will stay for a second season.
I can already see a change in our mentality, the addition of Bale can only cement that.

EX, the career is short line when someone earns 200k a week doesn't wash. It's a total nonsense line. It's damn right disrespectful to the normal people as well.

The silverware bit I get, but the money one just doesn't wash. He is already set up for life and so are all his close friends and family. He could retire now and never have to work again.

I can't see him letting go of the premier league goal record. Ours maybe, but only for silverware.

I know we going around and around with this all the time; the top end players do not live in our context and trying to put them into it is a waste of time.

They operate and think in a rarified atmosphere, their monthly expenses don't look anything like ours, but are none the less just as pressing at times. Of course, they can live at much lower levels and still have an incredible life - but their agents and they simply do not think and operate like that.