Here we go! | Page 113 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Scotland is af the forefront of renewable energy...the most from the so called home countries.... Scotland us simply being held up..in every area that has complete power/authority, Scotland has performed better then the rest of the UK and its citizens have better access to services ( free university, free prescribed medicines, lower taxes, frozen council taxes etc etc) ...once the shackles are away, Scotland will flourish...

Scotland has free university, prescriptions etc precisely because they are being subsidised by the rest of the UK under the Barnett formula. N Ireland is subsidised even more by the Barnett formula, This is what Dublin academics think might happen to Ireland if it re-unites. According to this article the UK subsidises N Ireland by circa 10 billion.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/nort...a-year-and-collapse-north-s-economy--1714127/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

Scotland, Wales and N Ireland are separate countries. Even if London went, you are assuming it "subsidises" the country. Could be rather different if the "London" country lost 50 million inhabitants. Rather a lot of "what ifs " in any of those scenarios.

Of course we subsidise you stupid lazy fuckers up North. The average Englishman outside London receives a spending subsidy of £700 per head. London subsidises that by over £3k per head.

You can bash London all you like but without us the rest of England is fucked, you're nearly as useless as the Celts.

As I say, I couldn't really care less about Scotland. So how long do the two of you think it will be before

1) Scotland has an illegal referendum
2) Scotland gets a legal refendum
3) Scotland joins the EU
Hmm, those refendums have been banned for how long?

A trade deal with the US is going to put the US first and be quite bad for the UK in more ways than it is good. Doing a deal with Trump, in particular would have been particularly bad unless he was to break the habit of a lifetime and go for something that is equitable. Unlikely.

The comparisons between Trump politics and Brexit politics are a very close match.
Same supporters, same funders, same politicians, same political tactics, same analysts and consultants, same crusade against wokeism, same overplaying of the significance of items deemed to be sacred (the flag, the anthem, the monuments to slavers), same longing for a bygone era, same xenophobia (couched as patriotism), same trench warfare us-against-the-world mentality, same retreat into national introversion (couched in being "global" and the "best in the world"), same reluctance to pay into any schemes that make the world safer or more equitable, same climate change denial, same quest for deregulation at the expense of the environment, same quest for deregulation at the expense of health and safety, same tendencies towards authoritarianism.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Tbf the US track record is exactly that, not really a stereotype

I always felt like a third of that was totally justified (the nottm bit as if you really need to ask)

Essentially the whole of England is subsidised by London, the SE and the East.

Scotland is no more subsidised than the NW and far less than the NE.

The East Midlands is nearly 1,700 per head that we have to subsidise.
Good agriculture but not even a holiday destination.

Imagine how cheap Londoners could buy food from the farmers of Lincs when London is independent? Londoners will get a much better deal than they have now without having to pay the subsidy! There might be bumps on the road, of course. They will want London to stay because of the gravy train but the farmers are sick of being governed by London dictators. Do you think the farmers would be stupid enough to apply tariffs to their meat and veg exports? I think not! Yes, Londoners get to vote for an MP, but only for their local constituency, meaning they could be outvoted on every single issue. How is THAT democracy??
Strong arguments for a conscious uncoupling from both perspectives!

Good agriculture but not even a holiday destination.

Imagine how cheap Londoners could buy food from the farmers of Lincs when London is independent? Londoners will get a much better deal than they have now without having to pay the subsidy! There might be bumps on the road, of course. They will want London to stay because of the gravy train but the farmers are sick of being governed by London dictators. Do you think the farmers would be stupid enough to apply tariffs to their meat and veg exports? I think not! Yes, Londoners get to vote for an MP, but only for their local constituency, meaning they could be outvoted on every single issue. How is THAT democracy??
Strong arguments for a conscious uncoupling from both perspectives!

I'm thoroughly sold :)

Though Corbyn would be in power here, hmm...

Scotland doesn't need nuclear weapons on its soil. Those will be the first thing to go. A squadron of Eurofighters will do.
The money budgeted towards defence will be slashed and money used better in building more schools, hospital, housing etc and not armaments that serve no one ...

Lol, that's quite charmingly cute.
I appreciate it's all right-on and hipster cool to suggest spending taxes on free stuff for kids and the less well off, but along with that, defence is crazily important for many reasons.

Besides I'm sure that 8-10k staff employed at HMNB Clyde would be overjoyed at your suggestions, along with a few thousand at Rosyth too.
BAE/Leonardo have 6-7 sites in Scotland and the nation has a proud history of defence. Pretty much all those jobs would move south of the border as the defence contracts won't wait.

Nippy should pop down to Typhoon wholesalers, there are a glut of them.
So what weaponry would they carry? Who could work on them?
All the ITAR approvals are for the UK and it may take years to gain approvals for Scotland.
There maybe a few Exocet kicking around that can be bought from various 'regimes', but not sure if they'd fit the Typhoon.

I'm sure the Russians may lease a few MiG-29s?

Scotland leaving the union would be a massive own goal for them. Decades ago when oil generated income, there was a real argument for independence, but apart from Scotch and a thriving narcotics market there is no real USP for Scotland.

Essentially the whole of England is subsidised by London, the SE and the East.

Scotland is no more subsidised than the NW and far less than the NE.
There is an element of being born on third base and believing you've hit a home run to that.

Political decisions have been that have concentrated wealth, power and entire industries to the capital to the detriment of other places.

It isn't all social Darwinistic "intrepid Londoners have outmatched the rest of the UK". I'm.not saying that is your point, but I think it is important to point that out

Scotland is af the forefront of renewable energy...the most from the so called home countries.... Scotland us simply being held up..in every area that has complete power/authority, Scotland has performed better then the rest of the UK and its citizens have better access to services ( free university, free prescribed medicines, lower taxes, frozen council taxes etc etc) ...once the shackles are away, Scotland will flourish...

As has been pointed out, Scotland spends more money than it generates in taxation, this shortfall, which is paid from Westminster, is what funds for much of that.
Renewable energy is great for domestic usage, but Scotland, along with most who try, will struggle to export wind (Blackford manages it though)

What currency would Scotland use?
As I've stated in another post, what defence?
Scotland's most important trading partner is the rest of UK - worth more than three times that of trade with all 27 EU countries combined.

They have the highest obesity rates in Europe and among the highest in the world.
Massive drug abuse problem.
Lowest life expectancy in Europe.
These are the priorities for the dissolved government, not political wet dreams.

The EU have just lost a massive contributor to their budget, Scotland would be a receiver of money if it wants to keep spending levels as they are currently.

It's a fantasy.

Last edited:
Leaked emails show Nicola Sturgeon's desperate bid to beg von der Leyen for EU membership

Nippy has been pestering Ursula von der Leyen and other Brussels officials with letters and emails in a desperate attempt to get Scotland to rejoin the EU...

About 25 letters and emails released under Freedom of Information laws between January and November last year reveal SNP ministers have been holding discussions with EU officials making the case for Scotland to rejoin the EU.

But von Der Leyen refused Ms Sturgeon's apparent request for a role in the negotiations.

In a letter obtained by the Express, the EC chief said: “As you are aware, the European Commission will only negotiate with the Government of the United Kingdom.

“I understand that you are in contact with Michel Barnier… he will be happy to meet you again.”

Ms Sturgeon has had at least two sets of talks with Mr Barnier, most recently in August.

Ahead of a meeting between them in February, her team emailed to ask if it would be “possible for a photograph to be taken of Monsieur Barnier and the First Minister after their meeting for social media purposes”.