Here we go! | Page 112 | Vital Football

Here we go!

Brexit Derangement Syndrome?

This is known to attack some people's cerebral cortex, which manifests itself in eccentric ways, some patients have been observed to developed a curious and sudden hatred of their own country similar to that witnessed in patients suffering from Oikophobia.

Am I correct?
You are correct. Why else would they vote to leave a stable beneficial union?

Scotlands deficit was higher than the rest of the UK put together. I believe the EU allows a 3% loss, so they couldn't join the EU either without massive cuts.

Scotland’s notional deficit stood at £12.6bn or 7% of GDP, including North Sea oil revenues, compared with the UK’s total £23.5bn deficit, which includes Scotland’s figure. The UK deficit is equivalent to 1.1% of its GDP.

Total state spending in Scotland was £1,661 higher per person than the UK average at £75.3bn, while tax receipts were £307 less per head than the UK average, at £62.7bn. Excluding oil revenues, the deficit exceeded £14bn, equal to 22.5% of tax revenues.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...8-deficit-higher-than-uk-as-a-whole-last-year
What proportion of North Sea oil do the Scottish government claim directly into their budget currently?

Because they claim a hell of a lot of it for themselves in terms of independence. And i'm not sure the rump UK has a leg to stand on opposing that. And, post brexit, we certainly don't have any allies who would support our claim to more

What proportion of North Sea oil do the Scottish government claim directly into their budget currently?

Because they claim a hell of a lot of it for themselves in terms of independence. And i'm not sure the rump UK has a leg to stand on opposing that. And, post brexit, we certainly don't have any allies who would support our claim to more

If you read what it says, that's allocating North Sea Oil revenues to Scotland. I do love this idea that a brand new country would just walk into the EU. You have to demonstrate your budget is less than a 3% loss. How many years accounts would the EU want. You could be talking ten years easily by the time they've separated from the UK (far more complex than us leaving the EU) and say, proved for 5 years they are financially viable.

Took Croatia and Bulgaria at least TEN years to join from when they applied.

Last edited:
If you read what it says, that's allocating North Sea Oil revenues to Scotland. I do love this idea that a brand new country would just walk into the EU. You have to demonstrate your budget is less than a 3% loss. How many years accounts would the EU want. You could be talking ten years easily by the time they've separated from the UK (far more complex than us leaving the EU) and say, proved for 5 years they are financially viable.

Yes, but the eu would make it quick, for spite.

Scottish legal structure is already in line with the EU laws. How long did it take for East Germanh to be re united with thd West?
My bet is that once the button has been pressed and the Independence process commences , in tandem another process will commence to re join the EU. Before full membership is obtained Scotland can make deals with the EU like the ones Norway and Switzerland have.
If Scotland is so much of a burden on the UK / England, why both Boris and Starmer dont thank God that the bad apple of the cart wants out? And not come up with all the excuses in the world to keep hold of the land of the brave?

I didn't read it that way.

It says "including North Sea Oil revenues". That doesn't mean "including ALL North Sea Oil revenues. Why would it? Gov.scot suggests that North Sea oil makes up a relatively small amount of Scottish government revenue currently

Screenshot_20210112-182359_Samsung Internet.jpg
Geographically, 90% of North Sea Oil is located in what would be an independent Scotland. England argued at the referendum for distribution based on population, which would have seen Scotland's share at a mere 9% and the English taking oil deep into Scottish waters. That clearly is farcical.

There was a time when Scottish independence would have seen Scotland leave the EU while rump UK remained in it. I could possibly forsee the EU backing their remaining member for a greater share of NSO than is Geographically our due.

Post Brexit, this right wing government has lied it's way to a position where it has made clear the UK's intention is to be an economic rival, not friend to the EU. Meanwhile, Scotland is clear that it would seek membership, a geopolitical act that would serve to isolate and further neutralise the deliberately troublesome and belligerent Brexit rump UK.

I am not suggesting EU membership would be plain sailing.

But the reality is that the UK does not have a single ally that would support our non existent claims to more than 10% of that oil. The EU would back Scotland's claim, as Scottish membership is in their interests. Scotland would claim 90% and their current deficit would all but disappear. It wouldn't be all that difficult to get it within allowance without it.

Probably the greater impediment is Spain and their fears that the Catalonian and Basque regions might follow suit. But now England has blown it's own toes off, the prospect of further weakening rump UK and having a stronger hand in any figure negotiations over Gibraltar are probably too good to resist

Scottish legal structure is already in line with the EU laws. How long did it take for East Germanh to be re united with thd West?
My bet is that once the button has been pressed and the Independence process commences , in tandem another process will commence to re join the EU. Before full membership is obtained Scotland can make deals with the EU like the ones Norway and Switzerland have.
If Scotland is so much of a burden on the UK / England, why both Boris and Starmer dont thank God that the bad apple of the cart wants out? And not come up with all the excuses in the world to keep hold of the land of the brave?

Scotland has been allied with England as part of GB for over 500 years. Would you want to go down in history as the PM that lost Scotland ? Far more likely that Starmer will give Scotland a referendum. Corbyn probably would have been forced to in any Labour/SNP alliance. Boris has a good argument that at least Scotland should find out what life is like outside the EU.

It took Norway about ten years too, just to join the EEA.

I didn't read it that way.

It says "including North Sea Oil revenues". That doesn't mean "including ALL North Sea Oil revenues. Why would it? Gov.scot suggests that North Sea oil makes up a relatively small amount of Scottish government revenue currently

View attachment 45104
Geographically, 90% of North Sea Oil is located in what would be an independent Scotland. England argued at the referendum for distribution based on population, which would have seen Scotland's share at a mere 9% and the English taking oil deep into Scottish waters. That clearly is farcical.

There was a time when Scottish independence would have seen Scotland leave the EU while rump UK remained in it. I could possibly forsee the EU backing their remaining member for a greater share of NSO than is Geographically our due.

Post Brexit, this right wing government has lied it's way to a position where it has made clear the UK's intention is to be an economic rival, not friend to the EU. Meanwhile, Scotland is clear that it would seek membership, a geopolitical act that would serve to isolate and further neutralise the deliberately troublesome and belligerent Brexit rump UK.

I am not suggesting EU membership would be plain sailing.

But the reality is that the UK does not have a single ally that would support our non existent claims to more than 10% of that oil. The EU would back Scotland's claim, as Scottish membership is in their interests. Scotland would claim 90% and their current deficit would all but disappear. It wouldn't be all that difficult to get it within allowance without it.

Probably the greater impediment is Spain and their fears that the Catalonian and Basque regions might follow suit. But now England has blown it's own toes off, the prospect of further weakening rump UK and having a stronger hand in any figure negotiations over Gibraltar are probably too good to resist

Westminster bungs Scotland £15bn/year to cover the gap between revenue and spending.
They have gas and oil, unfortunately we are going to a green powered economy.

As I say, I couldn't really care less about Scotland. So how long do the two of you think it will be before

1) Scotland has an illegal referendum
2) Scotland gets a legal refendum
3) Scotland joins the EU

Westminster bungs Scotland £15bn/year to cover the gap between revenue and spending.
Why unfortunately?

Surely it is better to take a decision today that you are inevitably going to have to take tomorrow anyway?

Surely that has been Mr Johnson's problem all through his premiership so far?

Why unfortunately?

Surely it is better to take a decision today that you are inevitably going to have to take tomorrow anyway?

Surely that has been Mr Johnson's problem all through his premiership so far?

Unfortunate for Scotland’s economic model being based on fossil fuels.

The figures say the deficit in Scotland was £14 billion without North sea oil £12.6 billion with. That ties in with this (probably a different year) that says UK tax revenue is circa a billion from North Sea Oil.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandg...ring-1billion-financial-year-says-oil-gas-uk/

Scotland is af the forefront of renewable energy...the most from the so called home countries.... Scotland us simply being held up..in every area that has complete power/authority, Scotland has performed better then the rest of the UK and its citizens have better access to services ( free university, free prescribed medicines, lower taxes, frozen council taxes etc etc) ...once the shackles are away, Scotland will flourish...

As I say, I couldn't really care less about Scotland. So how long do the two of you think it will be before

1) Scotland has an illegal referendum
2) Scotland gets a legal refendum
3) Scotland joins the EU
Nicola will not fall in the trap of calling an illegal referendum. In May there are the Hollyrood elections , a strong vote and signal from thd Scots in favour of the SNP and the other pro independence parties will give a strong mandate for a legal referendum.
If you have some time, read what the Declaration of Arbroath says ...that is where Scotland is returning

This is without mentioning the defence sector.
HMNB Clyde which Trident calls home plus Rosyth.

The whole defence industry would be wrecked, ITAR, which I am familiar is the devils own job to get approval.
Scotland doesn't need nuclear weapons on its soil. Those will be the first thing to go. A squadron of Eurofighters will do.
The money budgeted towards defence will be slashed and money used better in building more schools, hospital, housing etc and not armaments that serve no one ...

Brexit Derangement Syndrome?

This is known to attack some people's cerebral cortex, which manifests itself in eccentric ways, some patients have been observed to developed a curious and sudden hatred of their own country similar to that witnessed in patients suffering from Oikophobia.

Am I correct?

Not too far off- there is a difference using other countries as an example where something is done well and an idea to learn from and using other coutries to pump up our own sense of worth.