Here we go! | Page 122 | Vital Football

Here we go!

You did say that the U.K. wouldn’t need a border with the Republic of Ireland, that would be the EU’s issue.

Planes flying? The UK is still flying under a framework agreement under an EU license, something that has to be renewed periodically. The U.K. certainly hasn’t taken back control of that.

Food Shortages....ask Northern Ireland.

N Ireland is effectively part of the EU single market for goods, so staying in that has caused food shortages .

Whatever planes are flying under, UK citizens spend billions on travel in the EU. They will only shoot themselves in the foot if they really want to stop us flying.

Last edited:
I don't ever remember saying there would be no problems. I do feel sorry for people having problems, but we are 16 days into this. Already said I believe the border in the sea was a mistake. What happened to the planes not flying, food shortages etc ?

The main thing with this is we are in charge of our own affairs. If the Tories mess it up, we can vote Labour next time and see if they do any better.
We are four years into this or had you forgotten? There were four years for issues like this to be resolved.

Last edited:
I don't accept it was a necessity, but a proper border would have been 50 % Ireland/EU fault . Should UK policy really be made on the back of the fear of terrorism ? As a sovereign nation we should be entitled to do what we want, not give in to terrorists.

In an Ireland/N Ireland border the onus would have been as much on them to accept a technological solution, as I believe Sweden and Norway have. With the sea border, the EU will simply try and prolong it as long as possible. Looks like that's 4 years minimum.

Why has the border been made on the back of terrorism? It’s a requirement of border regulations around the world if Custom Unions across a border is not in place.
The fact the UK chose to not have a CU with the EU necessitated some form of Custom Border. So it was a UK Sovereign decision, nobody else.

I guess the NI Agreement and Biden’s win reduced urge UK’s options,
Either way we have a border, and it separates a Sovereign territory.

I have no doubt you are correct that this border arrangement will last for some considerable time. Not so much the EU, but the fact an alternative solution clearly doesn’t exist, if it did, I’m sure it would have been implemented.

Good news for some, I believe that Brittany Ferries have two new 40K tonne RoRo boats on order to service the Roslaire, Dunkirk Route, a route that didn’t exist last year.
I’m sure Fishguard and Holyhead will be happy with that.

N Ireland is effectively part of the EU single market for goods, so staying in that has caused food shortages .

Whatever planes are flying under, UK citizens spend billions on travel in the EU. They will only shoot themselves in the foot if they really want to stop us flying.

The NI situation is a down to the fact that nobody had a clue what documentation is needed.
As I said, we are the only Sovereign country in the world with a Custom Border down the middle.

UK citizens do spend in the EU, we all saw that last year when despite a pandemic, the desire for people to go abroad no matter what was intense. Can you imagine what the political fall out would be if Brexit prevented those holidays?

UK planes not flying goes far beyond the EU, and passengers.
Without licensing they could not fly anywhere outside of UK airspace, not a good position at the moment, particularly when freight flights have increased in importance so much.
Maintaining our licence through the EU is a bit more than a political issue at the moment.

Hopefully the situation is resolved so that Licences never become an issue.

Why has the border been made on the back of terrorism? It’s a requirement of border regulations around the world if Custom Unions across a border is not in place.

Most countries have a sovereign right to a border. The Good Friday Agreement was signed to stop terrorism. As far as I can remember we have always had free travel to Ireland. I was too small to remember, but I went about sixty years ago, and my parents didn't have a passport as far as I can remember.

Good news for some, I believe that Brittany Ferries have two new 40K tonne RoRo boats on order to service the Roslaire, Dunkirk Route, a route that didn’t exist last year.
I’m sure Fishguard and Holyhead will be happy with that.

Sounds like good news if it stops thousands of lorries driving across the UK. More environmentally friendly too in our efforts to reduce pollution. Guess it's slower for the Irish though, otherwise they would have done it before.

The NI situation is a down to the fact that nobody had a clue what documentation is needed.
As I said, we are the only Sovereign country in the world with a Custom Border down the middle.

UK citizens do spend in the EU, we all saw that last year when despite a pandemic, the desire for people to go abroad no matter what was intense. Can you imagine what the political fall out would be if Brexit prevented those holidays?

UK planes not flying goes far beyond the EU, and passengers.
Without licensing they could not fly anywhere outside of UK airspace, not a good position at the moment, particularly when freight flights have increased in importance so much.
Maintaining our licence through the EU is a bit more than a political issue at the moment.

Hopefully the situation is resolved so that Licences never become an issue.

We've been through this one before, but how many of the 200 odd countries in the World aren't allowed to fly planes ?

As you say the paperwork problem is down to the fact that the UK and the EU should have sorted this out months ago. Of course the EU is renowned for never sorting anything out until it has to. (Even have an EU method of extending a day into the following day !).

When we managed an Irish/UK border back in the days before we joined the EU and everything was done in pencil and paper, I do find it hard to believe that a computerised system can't be invented.

Right, so I've just been to my local supermarket and I have never seen empty shelves like that in my life. Miles worse than the worst of the pandemic (although bog roll was fine)

Fresh produce was minimal. Forget it if you want oranges, chicken, or even non organic milk

Right, so I've just been to my local supermarket and I have never seen empty shelves like that in my life. Miles worse than the worst of the pandemic (although bog roll was fine)

Fresh produce was minimal. Forget it if you want oranges, chicken, or even non organic milk

Just out of interest, what supermarket?

As ever you look at what I posted and make a thousand assumptions.

I said a march, no mention of Trump, violence etc that's a slant you have put on it.
The March was to get a second referendum to overturn the first one. That's not democracy. It is disingenuous to say it was "to confirm the first one". It was clearly to try and overturn it. Remain shouldn't have been on any second referendum. What would have happened if Remain won the second referendum. What would have happened if Remain had won the first referendum ? Would we still have had a "confirmatory" second referendum to confirm we did really want to REmain ? If Remain won the second referendum, would we have had a third to decide the situation ? Best of 5, 7 where do we stop ? WE voted to Leave, decision made.
Don't forget that first one wasn't binding. Just bullied through by the right wing media.

It's cos they not paying the staff, duck, they've all fucked off to Morrisons, nowt ta do wi Brexit :grinning:.

Surprised at someone with your moral standing would shop at such an establishment to be honest
No idea what you're talking about. It's my local and not the topic under debate

No idea what I'm talking about?

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/12/tesco-named-and-shamed-for-underpaying-78000-workers/

Still, if you don't give a fuck about the poor exploited workers that pick your asparagus, why give a fuck about those that serve it?
Very naughty of them between 2016 and 2018 and I'm glad they have stopped doing it.

I'll rest easier knowing that the excellent workers I saw tonight who had no oranges or milk or meat to put out were being paid their agreed wage