Here we go again.... | Vital Football

Here we go again....

ImpfromWashy

Vital Squad Member
Another episode in the merry-go-round of managerial appointments. Dozens of names already mentioned by 'armchair chairmen' and unless the Board have someone already in mind, will continue for weeks to come.
I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting bored with it already.
My preference would have been to have CM continue as I thought his rebuilding of the team was shaping up quite nicely and given time would have seen us challenging for promotion.
There is no such thing as an instant fix; managers need time and stability.

Skip155 - 6/4/2016 09:30

How do you give a manger more time if he chooses to step down?

This is what I don't understand. All these people saying 'those who moaned have got what they wanted'. To me, given the reasons he cited, he would have stepped down regardless.

The question is why did he choose to step down ?
We have heard the reason CM gave but is that really why; a manager needs the backing of the Board, the players and the fans....perhaps he felt he wasn't getting that.

ImpfromWashy - 6/4/2016 11:08

We have heard the reason CM gave but is that really why; a manager needs the backing of the Board, the players and the fans....perhaps he felt he wasn't getting that.

So 4 wins in 22 games and you expect he should get 100% support. Finished last season with 4 wins in 19 games. There is a limit to patience especially for fans when it is so obvious things are not getting better.
Do you think Tilson would have come good eventually? Or Holdsworth. A lot of the people who were demanding Simmo to be sacked are now saying how bad it is that CM has gone. Personally I think if Simpson had been given time and the backing CM enjoyed we would now be far better off.

johnolbe - 6/4/2016 11:17

ImpfromWashy - 6/4/2016 11:08

So 4 wins in 22 games and you expect he should get 100% support. Finished last season with 4 wins in 19 games. There is a limit to patience especially for fans when it is so obvious things are not getting better.
Do you think Tilson would have come good eventually? Or Holdsworth. A lot of the people who were demanding Simmo to be sacked are now saying how bad it is that CM has gone. Personally I think if Simpson had been given time and the backing CM enjoyed we would now be far better off.

I see Simmo has now joined Cox at Barrow. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the fans and players on Saturday. We will see if the players are really behind the Manager or not , as generally I think they were.

The simple fact is: regardless of whether or not you thought they did a poor/reasonable/good job, Simpson and Moyses are history. Their records are virtually identical in black and white numbers. Discussion about that may be interesting to a point, but is irrelevant looking forward.

You might be bored, Washy, but I'm not. If the fans can't get interested in the most important managerial appointment at the club since 2002, there is something wrong. In my opinion, Moyses has laid a solid foundation. If we pick the right manager, next season could be a good one - and I mean a promotion challenge. With the extra investment (limited as it may be comparatively), a manager who knows his stuff could make all the difference. And that means someone with a good working knowledge of the National League and - just as importantly - the leagues immediately below. Yes, the constant raising of potential candidates might get a bit tedious, but it is very interesting seeing what the fans think. That is what this board is about, and it raises money for the club. All good.

Scotimp - 6/4/2016 11:30

The simple fact is: regardless of whether or not you thought they did a poor/reasonable/good job, Simpson and Moyses are history. Their records are virtually identical in black and white numbers. Discussion about that may be interesting to a point, but is irrelevant looking forward.

You might be bored, Washy, but I'm not. If the fans can't get interested in the most important managerial appointment at the club since 2002, there is something wrong. In my opinion, Moyses has laid a solid foundation. If we pick the right manager, next season could be a good one - and I mean a promotion challenge. With the extra investment (limited as it may be comparatively), a manager who knows his stuff could make all the difference. And that means someone with a good working knowledge of the National League and - just as importantly - the leagues immediately below. Yes, the constant raising of potential candidates might get a bit tedious, but it is very interesting seeing what the fans think. That is what this board is about, and it raises money for the club. All good.
what he said :gent:

Maybe naïve, but the "need" for national league experience baffles me a little. Pretty sure the game is played on the same size pitch and to the same rules.
I'd have thought anyone from league 1 down to Conference N/S would be acceptable. The FL managers should have knowledge of players from the leagues below, and also those in and around them that perhaps aren't quite up to that level. Just as those below us, will most likely have similar knowledge, but perhaps a little less due to scouting/budget restrictions?
Restricting the search to our league and those below, seems a little prohibitive to me.

The problem with that argument is that a "Manager who knows his stuff" could equally spectacularly fail and take us into Conference North. What then?

Think we need a manager who can not only get in players to get us out of this league but bring the players he brings in are good enough to play in the league. Bit like the Bristol Rovers manager who had no previous managerial experience so it really a needle in a haystack decision isn't it?

How do you pick "the right manager"?

Steve O'Dare - 6/4/2016 13:17

Isn't it the same as any recruitment process? I know nothing about recruitment but as a start I'd draw up a job description including what 'on target' looks like, a list of criteria to be met and evaluate their importance and then invite candidates to demonstrate how they meet the job specs and answer other challenging questions at interview.

I think there also needs to be some recognition that they may want to bring their own assistant and/or coach. In that event we would need to dispense with the ones currently employed.

Anyone with 75k can have a say in the process I suspect.

Good opportunity to have your voice heard.

In terms of how we pick the right manager, that is a challenge I would not like to take on!

However, there is an article due to be posted on here imminently that analyses the last 12 managers to have won promotion from the Conference (2010 to 2015) - believe me, it is quite revealing.

Skip155 - 6/4/2016 14:57

Isn't it the same as any recruitment process? I know nothing about recruitment but as a start I'd draw up a job description including what 'on target' looks like, a list of criteria to be met and evaluate their importance and then invite candidates to demonstrate how they meet the job specs and answer other challenging questions at interview.
That is how you pick a manager. It is not how you pick "the right manager"! We will only know if we have picked the right manager if and when we are in the Football League.

Steve O'Dare - 6/4/2016 17:10

That is how you pick a manager. It is not how you pick "the right manager"! We will only know if we have picked the right manager if and when we are in the Football League.

Nope. The manager that meets the criteria the Board set and subsequently appointed by them is the right manager until they demonstrate that they are the wrong manager.

Skip155 - 6/4/2016 17:26

Steve O'Dare - 6/4/2016 17:10

Nope. The manager that meets the criteria the Board set and subsequently appointed by them is the right manager until they demonstrate that they are the wrong manager.
Thank you for agreeing with me. Huge difference between picking a manager and the right manager. Unless the manager picked is "successful" then he is not the "right manager"! Only got a 1 in 12 chance of getting success so he will be on a hiding to nothing before he even sits in the seat! :eek:

Nope. Wrong as normal Steve. The right manager depends on your recruitment criteria. The right manager after Simmo was:

1. Not Simmo.
2. Will work for free.