Henry Cameron | Vital Football

Henry Cameron

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
All Whites midfielder Henry Cameron lured 'home' to Wellington
icon_video.gif

Team Wellington have signed former Blackpool midfielder Henry Cameron.

22208713.jpg

Henry Cameron has joined Team Wellington in attempt to revive his promising football career.
22208717.jpg

Henry Cameron made 25 appearances during his spell with Blackpool.
22208718.jpg

Henry Cameron celebrates after scoring for Blackpool.

Henry Cameron's career was taking off.
He made his Championship debut before his 18th birthday and had racked up 25 appearances for Blackpool by the time he was selected for the All Whites.
"I was still at college at the time. Everything was good," he said.
Cameron was born Lytham St Annes, just south of Blackpool and his only connection to New Zealand was through his mother, who spent the first 10 years of her life living in Wellington.

But that was enough to make him eligible and his first appearance for the All Whites came in a 1-0 win over Oman in 2015.
Although the game was largely forgettable, it will stick with Cameron forever.
Shortly after sparking the move which led to Chris Wood's match-winning goal, he dropped to the pitch in agony.
Cameron had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and he would spend the next 12 months on the sideline.
"You always see people get that type of injury but you never think it'll happen to yourself. But when you're out for 12 months it takes a toll on you," he said.
"Being out for 12 months and going into the training ground every day and you're sat in the gym while all the lads are out on the pitch, it was tough.
"Coming back you always have that thing in the back of your mind that you don't want this to happen again and I think it took me a while to get over it. Especially not playing, your confidence goes."
There were just six months left on his contract when Cameron recovered from the injury. But by that stage there was a new manager in charge at Blackpool and Gary Bowyer, who replaced Neil McDonald, said the 21-year-old was no longer part of the club's plans.
"It's just one of them things you've got to deal with. The manager, Gary Bowyer, I've got no bad things to say about him because the team ended up getting promoted that season. But it was a tough year coming back from a year off and then not playing again for a year."
Luckily for Cameron, McDonald had just landed a job at Limerick, so he followed him to Ireland as soon as the season concluded.
At the time, Cameron thought the Ireland Premier Division could be the perfect platform to prove he was still good enough to play in the Championship.
But his opportunities were scarce and he played just seven games across two seasons before he was eventually released.
Despite growing frustrated by his lack of chances at club level, Cameron was thrown a lifeline when he was called up to the All Whites squad for the Intercontinental Cup in India earlier this year.
It was there where he met Team Wellington coach Jose Figueira, who offered him a chance to revive his career in the national league.
With Team Wellington earning qualification for the Club World Cup later this year, Cameron was sold immediately.
"What's been said is just to mirror last season and try and go one better. But for me personally I want to get game time. Since I came back from injury I haven't really had regular game time and I think that's going to be important me to get a regular spot on the time."
"Through the contacts I've made playing for the All Whites, and with Jose being at the last camp, it's helped me a lot. I don't know if I would have struggled to get another team back home in England but coming over here is definitely a good opportunity to prove I've still got it, you know."
Plus, despite representing New Zealand on five occasions, he had actually never lived in the country before and he was keen to explore where his mother grew up.
"She's been calling me every day to see how I am. She remembers bits of it but she only lived here until she was 10 years-old so it's nice to be able to send her photos of where she was born."
Cameron still dreams of playing professionally again but he is taking a "step by step" approach to achieve that target, knowing he must knuckle down and earn himself a regular place in the Team Wellington starting XI first.
"I just want to get myself in this team and get myself back in the All Whites set-up. Hopefully then I can get back to where I was. I know what I need to do and I'll just do my best and see what comes of it."